Willie cut?

  • Rich Carreiro
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
      The _Globe_ is quoting "NFL personnel men" as saying the
      Pats cut Willing McGinest last night.

      --
      Rich Carreiro rlcarr@...
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
        I understand this is true. The Pats would like to re-sign him to a more
        cap friendly contract, but he will have interest from others; Cleveland
        (Crennel, and lots of money to spend), Dallas (Parcells loves to raid
        the Pats, and knows Willie's ability), San Diego (he's a SoCal guy,
        might like to go home). If he's not blown out of the water, I think
        he'll follow Troy's lead, and finish his career here. But he could get
        an offer that's hard to turn down from someone like the Browns.
        We shall see...

        fdb

        --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, Rich Carreiro <rlcarr@...> wrote:

        > The _Globe_ is quoting "NFL personnel men" as saying the
        > Pats cut Willing McGinest last night.
        >
        > --
        > Rich Carreiro rlcarr@...

      • Orgone
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
          At 09:09 AM 3/9/2006 -0500, you wrote:
          >The _Globe_ is quoting "NFL personnel men" as saying
          the
          >Pats cut Willing McGinest last night.

          I can't imagine Willie McGinest leaving New England. My guess is this is the prerequisite to re-signing/re-structuring if it's true.

          Harry

          "No matter how cynical I get, I can't keep up."--Lily Tomlin
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
            Wow, that seems sad for sure...hope it's not true.
            >The _Globe_ is quoting "NFL personnel men" as saying the
            >Pats cut Willing McGinest last night.

            I can't imagine Willie McGinest leaving New England. My guess is this is the prerequisite to re-signing/re-structuring if it's true.

            Harry

            "No matter how cynical I get, I can't keep up."--Lily Tomlin
          • sean carmichael
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
              unfortunately, it is true

              Wow, that seems sad for sure...hope it's not true.
              >The _Globe_ is quoting "NFL personnel men" as saying the
              >Pats cut Willing McGinest last night.

              I can't imagine Willie McGinest leaving New England. My guess is this is the prerequisite to re-signing/re-structuring if it's true.

              Harry

              "No matter how cynical I get, I can't keep up."--Lily Tomlin

              It's all mind over matter, I don't mind and you don't matter.

              Yahoo! Mail

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
                Where is he going?
                He's one of two active NFL players from our area's Pop Warner--the Orange Empire in southern Califonia...he played in Long Beach. The other is Tony Rodriguez from Huntington Beach.  I was proud to have him McGinest on the Patriots.

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
                  The only thing definite with Willie McGinest at this point is that he was cut from the Patriots.  It is not unreasonable to observe tht he was due a 3.5 Million Dollar Roster bonus if not cut or restructured within the first week of the Free Agency year which begins very soon (Friday-Monday at some point to be defined by the League).  According to Migel and many other sources, Willie was a Salary Cap figure of 8.3 Million or so this year and at that price the Patriots are likely to seek means of reducing.  I personally heard comments alleged from Willie to say he understood the roster bonus was unlikely to be paid.  Without the full freedom of a known Salary Cap high end during the Collective Bargaining work which was just completed, it was harder for the Patriots to plan and negotiate with him.

                  It would not be unreasonable for Willie to return with a new contract in the not too distant future.  This is not a guarantee by any means and he will likely command more than the Veteran minimum with potential offers from several interested places.  Still, the Patriots likely wish him here and all reports indicate both sides in fact wish to have him here.

                  I have a special place in My Pats heart for Willie McGinest not only from our interactions and his performances but because I attended one and only one draft in New York and that was the draft in which we took him.

                  I expect him back until I hear he has signed elsewhere.

                  Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 5:17 PM

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
                    ***** Of course, we would all be very hurt if Willie moves on to another team. But I certainly can't fault the Patriots for avoiding the big hit that they would have taken had they not taken this action.

                    ***** I certainly believe that Willie is worth considerably more than the vet minimum. But the 3.5 million roster bonus was not reasonable.

                    ***** It is my fervent hope that Willie will quickly re-sign with the Patriots for a fair and reasonable amount for both parties. I dearly want him to play his entire career as a Patriot!

                    George