CBA Extended and some quick thoughts

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2006
      Well the league did indeed extend the contract by six years and thus avoid losing the Salary cap which I feel does much good for this league.  As the third revenue team in the leage we are in good shape either way but I want my sport to excel not just my team.  It is interesting to me that the final details were done on the last day as New England and New York (Jets) combined to make on proposal, Baltimore and Pittsburgh another and then allegedly Al Davis and Paul Tagliabue combined them for the final version... astounding the rivalries overcome in that detail.

      The new Cap will be near to 102 Million but has not yet been finalized.  The ony owners to vote against were Buffalo and Cincinatti.  One of them claimed it was because it was too rushed...apparently feeling he was confused and thus opposed - I wonder if he truly evaluated the other option very well...sigh.

      The key points besides money were a change to Signing bonus language so that it cannot be so 'hinged' as was the case with Ricky Williams and our own Terry Glenn in the past.  The second is the franchise tag restrictions which are now also more player friendly.

      I do tire of hearing them all emphasize "For the Fans" when I think we are a rather low priority for most of them when financial factors are on the line but that's the nature of business...I just wish they wouldn't toss the quote out quite so often.

      Free agency can now begin in earnest in 48-72 hours and aI'm elated and ready for some real noews.

      Here's to 2006 and the Pats return!