Just A Simple Fella

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2006
      ***** OK, I listen to the sportstalk shows, and I hear guys talking about the "rules for negotiation". Now, understand that my business career has been in the field of Materials Management, which, for those unaware, includes the responsibility for purchasing services and materials required for a company's business.

      ***** Despite a reasonable degree of success in my career in that field, the one aspect of it that I avoided was "negotiations".  You see, I have a real problem with the whole concept of starting out with a demand that you know is more than you need, and more than your supplier or customer is going to accept. I'm just an old fashioned guy who truly enjoys being honest with people.

      ***** I hate "games". I never liked the "dating games" between men and women who are looking for love. Hey, just be yourself, up front, and let people take you for what you are, not what you can pretend to be!

      ***** Same thing applies to every aspect of life for me. Pretending is for actors. People should simply tell the truth! What is wrong with the concept of me telling you that the REAL "bottom line" number that I can accept in a deal is $100? Why should I tell you that I want $150, when I know that $100 is a fair and reasonable number?

      ***** Right now, we have the NFL owners, and the NFLPA playing the silly "negotiation" game. Many have said that this will end with an agreement. Well, the fact is, that, if it does, they could have closed the deal weeks ago. If there is a true "bottom line" for both sides, why the hell not be honest with each other up front, and state it?!

      ***** Yeah. I know. I'm just a silly, naive, old fashioned, old man. Sorry about that. But that's just me.

      Sawadee!