Re: [patriotzip] player/draft thoughts

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2006
      Interesting thoughts.

      In my pre-March review of the team and with an eye towards your ote:

      1)  I'm not ready for Troy Brown night just yet.  While I don't disagree with a single point you raise and look forward to Troy Brown Night in the future, I think he might very well have another year left in him.  I really want him to have another year because he is so very close to the all time reception record held by the very well appreciated "Stanley19.8 ypc  Morgan."  I'd very much like  to see Troy take that all time record in tribute to a great work effort and a player whom just overcame what many thought was beyond his ability.  Heck I admit it, when he became our number 2 receiver in the start of this millenium I thought he wasn't good enough for that - I thought him the perfect slot receiver.  I was half right!  I'll never forget many of his catches like the highlight slide against the NY Giants in 1996 nor the yeoman effort of the KC 2002 when he tied the NFL all time receptions per game record (Jerry Rice).  How could we forget his role against Pittsburgh on the way to SB 36? -or the fact his absence may have changed SB31 though many things might have that claim.  Despite that nostalgic and very brief tour, I am not ready for Troy Brown night just yet if I could maybe have a little more magic - "Bingo, I want Bingo!"

      2)  I love Rodney Harrison and hope very much that he overcomes what some do not believe.  I want his success story and comeback and I also think it not unreasoanbel.  Despite this the team in my mind needs to address safety and however they may do that, Sanders and neither Scott have yet to convince me.  I'll trust the brain-trust but I have that high on my list with the notion that if we overachieve and end up with an extra, we can always entice Gino Wilson to play a little corner.

      When I reflect upon what position we most needed this last season it was corner and that was in part to a rash of injuries and a limitted quality.  Will Gay return?  Did the real Samuels stand-up?  I'm not sure but it's on my list to evaluate and thus the safety is a part of that evaluation since it might give us Wilson into the mix.  Despite their efforts, Potite and Stone are not on my highly desired list for September's roster.

      Chad Brown is not my answer at MLB.  He made some effortrs late but they were as late as his career and I simply don't see sufficient value in him.  Beissel let me down on the field and in the locker room and I think that if he apprenticed to the right lb he might get a stay but otherwise I'm again not putting him high on my desired list.  Claridge will have another year and I'd trade him, Brown (Chad) and Beissel for Lofa!  While Willie, Vrabel, Colvin, Bruschi and McGinest have my high confidence, we do need to find the right middle replacements and I've a small amont of concern about Vrable's contract future as he'll be highly desired around the league and probably not quite as Cap friendly as Tedy and Willie whom will both finish out glorious careers on this team.

      No doubt that regardless of Dillon's immediate health there is a need for a quality replacement.  We let a few good candidates slip last year in favor of our defensive back=field.  I understand but think we may have made some hind-sight errors.  No chance I'd put Heath abouve Patrick at this point but Patrick did break my heart three times this year with the last one in Denver being just behind the hamstring fumble early in the year.  Still Faulk and Pass are fine with me, it is the power back with some threat which I miss and this year the draft has some temptations.

      The first thing to watch is free agency round 1 which will set up the draft and free agency round 2.  I'd love to see Givens, Neal and Vin back at reasonable deals and their loss and our replacements for such will tell us much by Draft day.  We are going to be in the mix but the mix will be thick and we've got much to accomplish.  Our team was schizophrenic due to injuries and some game day surprises where the team seemed to fold/implode which includes our Playoff exit.  I'd like to think that quality moves will keep us contending and that in six months the excitement will again be high around here.