Re: Cheap Rings?

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
      Officiating was woeful throughout the playoffs. Has it always been
      this bad? I can understand the Big Ben TD (I'm not going to try to
      spell Roethlisberger). But I don't think it mattered. Fourth and goal
      from 2 inches, with their defense. I would have been shocked if they
      kicked a FG. Would probably have been 7 anyway.

      Offensive PI call was ticky-tacky. You don't call that in a SB. There
      was no holding on the pass the the 1 yard line (all the "experts" I
      heard agreed on that), and the call against Hasselbeck may have been
      one of the worst calls ever made. What was he thinking? Where does it
      say you can't tackle below the waist?

      All that being said, Seattle managed to do enough to beat themselves.
      Stevens left his hands in the locker room, and the clock management
      at the end of the half and the end of the game was inexplicable. You
      can't allow 76 yd runs and 3rd and 28 conversions, and expect to win.
      Too bad. The way Ben was playing, the Seahawks should have won that
      game.

      Time for full-time officials. The NFL can certainly afford it.

      fdb

      --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, George <patswingr@...> wrote:

      > The officials directly affected both the scoring and the momentum
      in that game in the Steelers favor. That was not offensive PI by
      Jackson in the end zone. (Sadly, I think he would have been open with
      the reverse move he made, even without putting his hand in the DB's
      chest.) That should have been a TD, not the FG that followed.

      > I disagree with those who felt that the replay of the
      Roethlisberger "TD" was inconlusive. IMO, it was clear that he did
      not get the ball over the goal line before he was down. That should
      have been a 4th down decision for the Steelers, and likely a FG,
      rather than the TD.

      > Hasselbeck was making a tackle attempt, not throwing a block, and
      should not have been called for a penalty on the play that called
      back a big play to the Steeler's 1 yard line. And the holding calls
      on not one, but 2 big plays by the Seahawks were both phantoms. No
      holding in sight.

      > It's true that the Seahawks did not play well. Neither, however,
      did the Steelers. Steeler fans' "Big Ben" was 9 for 21, with 2 INTs,
      and no TDs. Real "big game" there, huh?

      > The Steelers got 3 big plays on the Seattle defense - the pass to
      Ward at the 1; the 75 yard TD run by Parker; and the "no surprise"
      option pass by Randle El to Ward for the final TD. No NFL defense
      worth a damn can allow 3 big plays like that, and deserve to win.
      Seattle blew it, in that regard, despite outplaying the Steelers on
      offense and defense throughout the rest of the game.

      > But, despite their poor play, they still might have won that game
      with good officiating.
      > The Steelers, in my opinion, have absolutely nothing to be proud
      of in this "victory". They played an overall poor game, with 3 big
      plays, and LOTS of help from a horrible performance by the officials.
      Their rings should be cubic zirconias, rather than diamonds. It's an
      immitation championship.

      > I hereby declare that the New England Patriots are STILL the
      champions of the NFL, since neither the Steelers nor the Seahawks
      deserve the title!

      > George
      > Patriots fan forever!

    • David Brunat
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2006
        See responses below:

        George <patswingr@...> wrote:
        The officials directly affected both the scoring and the momentum in that game in the Steelers favor. That was not offensive PI by Jackson in the end zone. (Sadly, I think he would have been open with the reverse move he made, even without putting his hand in the DB's chest.) That should have been a TD, not the FG that followed.

        I think it was technically a foul but not the spirit of a push off.  I saw this team once keep a drive alive and win the game on a tuck call that was technically correct but not in the spirit of the rule.  Rules are rules.  Arguably, plus 4 points to the seahags.

        I disagree with those who felt that the replay of the Roethlisberger "TD" was inconlusive. IMO, it was clear that he did not get the ball over the goal line before he was down. That should have been a 4th down decision for the Steelers, and likely a FG, rather than the TD.

        I thought he got it over by a hair.  To reverse the call there must be conclusive evidence he did not get across.  Besides, 4th and 1 inch I say Cowher goes for it.  Worse case to me is Jerome got robbed of the TD he would have made.  No deduction of points from scoreboard.

        Hasselbeck was making a tackle attempt, not throwing a block, and should not have been called for a penalty on the play that called back a big play to the Steeler's 1 yard line. And the holding calls on not one, but 2 big plays by the Seahawks were both phantoms. No holding in sight.

        The block call was incorrect.  He was going for the tackle.  Not that big of a game changer.  Holding is subjective.  I side with the refs.  Result, Steelers start the drive less the penalty yardage.

        It's true that the Seahawks did not play well. Neither, however, did the Steelers. Steeler fans' "Big Ben" was 9 for 21, with 2 INTs, and no TDs. Real "big game" there, huh?

        Rottenbooger was horrible all game.  Hustleback wasn't bad.  The backbreaker was the INT in the endzone in what could have been a go ahead drive.

        The game was very boring.  Not what I have become accustomed to in the SB.  :-(

        The BrewGnat

        PhotoMail - it's free and works with your Yahoo! Mail.