Darryl Stingley

  • Bob George
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2006
      I assume most of you saw the piece ABC did on the Tatum hit on Darryl.  Just wondering what the relevance to this Super Bowl this story has.  Did we need to see that assassin ruin our Super Bowl Sunday and need to relive the most devastating play in Patriot history?

      Personal:  I missed that game on live TV, I didn't find out about it until the next day.  Back in 1978 our cable company (based in the Springfield, Mass. suburb of Ludlow) put both WBZ TV-4 and WPIX TV-11 on cable channel 4.  Often times the cable company would show Yankee games on Channel 11 instead of Patriot games on Channel 4.  Back then, WBZ did the Patriot preseason games, but on this horrid night our cable company made us watch a Yankee game.  I was pissed off blind at having to miss still another Patriot preseason game in favor of the Skankees, who at the time were making their charge at the Red Sox and erasing a 14.5 game deficit on their way to a WS win.  To read the story about the Stingley injury the next day was like having an anvil dropped on your head.

      OBTW the Yankees lost that night, 6-4 to the Orioles, while the Sox beat the Brewers 11-4 to increase their AL East lead to 8 games over the Skanks.

      OBTW II:  I didn't know Borges wrote for the Oakland Tribune at that time.