Mangini - My Take

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 17, 2006
      ***** I think Mangini is making a mistake by taking the Jets HC job. I'm sure that it would be extremely difficult to turn down an opportunity for a position that you want so badly. I'll also allow that there have been others who have succeeded at a very young age, such as Don Shula and Gruden.

      ***** However, there can be no arguement with the fact that the Jets are a mess right now. In addition, I think he's underestimating the pressure he's going to get from the infamous NY media. Youthful impatience, I believe, has overwhelmed good sense in this case. A couple more years as a DC under the best HC in the history of the NFL would put him in position to pick and choose among the best HC jobs in the league - or in the NCAA, should he choose to follow Charlie's path.

      ***** As it stands, he faces at least a couple of years of abject failure. Then, who knows? Perhaps fired, and back to the DC role, since he'll have that failure blocking his opportunity for another HC job immediately. Big mistake, Eric. I echo what a couple of others have said: Thanks for the good work here; and all the worst possible luck in your new job in New York!

      ***** Replacement? My guess is that BB won't bring in a guy that doesn't share his specific philosophy on defense. I have no idea whether he would feel that experienced DCs, like Bates or Capers, would be a good match. But that, I believe will be the primary criteria for his new DC. For that reason, I lean toward the likelihood of a promotion from within (like Peas), or bringing in somebody from his past that is currently working elsewhere, whether in the NFL or the NCAA. My dart at the wall on it right now says Peas. That's my guess.

      George
      Patriots fan forever!