Re: [patriotzip] NFL MVP...

  • llj7366@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 5, 2006
      In a message dated 1/5/2006 7:42:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jeepndd@... writes:

      Agreed, but they could still make the winning conference team the “hometeam”.  Say the decided to do it this way this year, the AFC team that makes the Superbowl would be the “home” team.  It’s not the advantage of actual home turf but it’s something, maybe.

      But How would that really make any difference at all?  They would get to pick what color of jersey,right?  What else would they get from the deal?
    • Ed Bryant
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 5, 2006
        What baseball does is stupid enough, without football copying it.  Home team for the Super Bowl?  What's that? The Lions if the NFC wins, the nearby Browns if the AFC wins?
        Why not just take Robert Edwards leg, and put it in a vise, and twist it?  The Pro Bowl is a chance fror players to get some sun, by the game itself is utterly without validity. I think they keep it for us, so we can withdraw from the NFL.  Some people even click over to Arena Ball rather than watch the Pro Bowl!

        Don Diamant <jeepndd@...> wrote:
        Agreed, but they could still make the winning conference team the “hometeam”.  Say the decided to do it this way this year, the AFC team that makes the Superbowl would be the “home” team.  It’s not the advantage of actual home turf but it’s something, maybe.

        Don

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 5, 2006
          I'm glad you brought up Robert Edwards! That was the biggest travesty
          of all time (well, maybe). Tommy Maddox comes back from being a sucky
          QB to one "good" year in the XFL, to one good year in the NFL. He wins
          the 2002 comeback player of the year award over a guy (Robert Edwards)
          who almost loses his leg due to damaging all 4 knee ligaments,
          severing a major blood vessel, and crushing major nerves. Doctors were
          telling him he may not be able to walk normally, and he ends up
          playing in the NFL again. I don't care if he was a backup player. He
          made the team (Miami Mammals), and earned significant playing time. He
          should have won it, hands down.

          Hope he's doing well.

          fdb

          --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, Ed Bryant <edbryant36@y...> wrote:

          > What baseball does is stupid enough, without football copying it.
          Home team for the Super Bowl? What's that? The Lions if the NFC wins,
          the nearby Browns if the AFC wins?
          > Why not just take Robert Edwards leg, and put it in a vise, and
          twist it? The Pro Bowl is a chance fror players to get some sun, by
          the game itself is utterly without validity. I think they keep it for
          us, so we can withdraw from the NFL. Some people even click over to
          Arena Ball rather than watch the Pro Bowl!

        • Christopher Robert Woods
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 5, 2006
            How can you justify giving the MVP vote to someone whose team lost all but
            one of the tough matchups on their schedule?

            Yes football is a team sport, yes the Patriots have had a lot of
            devastating injuries and the defense has more to do with those losses than
            the offense but the offense wasn't exactly lighting up the field those
            games. If the Denver comeback doesn't fizzle and Brady is just a *little*
            more on the money with those INTs against KC then I'm more inclined to
            agree.

            On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Frank wrote:

            > I agree that Shaun Alexander was the correct choice for MVP. But how on
            > earth does Poutin' Manning get more votes than Brady after what Tom did
            > this year, carrying a gravely wounded team. It's not "player with best
            > numbers" or "player on team with best record", it's "most valuable
            > player".
            >
            > Next thing you know they'll send Michael Vick to the Pro Bowl!
            >
            > What!!! They did?!
            >
            > fdb
            >

            > To unsubscribe from Zip's New England Patriots Fan Group, send an email to:
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            =================
            Christopher Robert Woods
            chris@...
          • Don Diamant
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 5, 2006

              More tickets for that team’s fans!  Perhaps an additional 20% more of the total tickets available.  Now that would be something.

              Don

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 5, 2006
                Yeah, I am probably over-reacting. I admit it. I'm a homer. I haven't
                watched Manning much this year, but I know the offense struggled early
                on. As you said, if the Pats won a couple of those tough games in the
                first half of the season, it would be a different argument. But hey,
                ya gotta support yer guys!

                fdb

                --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Robert Woods
                <chris@p...> wrote:

                > How can you justify giving the MVP vote to someone whose team lost
                all but
                > one of the tough matchups on their schedule?
                >
                > Yes football is a team sport, yes the Patriots have had a lot of
                > devastating injuries and the defense has more to do with those
                losses than
                > the offense but the offense wasn't exactly lighting up the field those
                > games. If the Denver comeback doesn't fizzle and Brady is just a
                *little*
                > more on the money with those INTs against KC then I'm more inclined to
                > agree.
                >
                > On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Frank wrote:
                >
                > > I agree that Shaun Alexander was the correct choice for MVP. But
                how on
                > > earth does Poutin' Manning get more votes than Brady after what
                Tom did
                > > this year, carrying a gravely wounded team. It's not "player with
                best
                > > numbers" or "player on team with best record", it's "most valuable
                > > player".
                > >
                > > Next thing you know they'll send Michael Vick to the Pro Bowl!
                > >
                > > What!!! They did?!
                > >
                > > fdb
                > >

                > > To unsubscribe from Zip's New England Patriots Fan Group, send an
                email to:

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                > >

                > =================
                > Christopher Robert Woods
                > chris@p...

              • Tim Illingworth
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 5, 2006
                  Frank said:
                  > I'm glad you brought up Robert Edwards! That was the biggest travesty
                  > of all time (well, maybe). Tommy Maddox comes back from being a sucky
                  > QB to one "good" year in the XFL, to one good year in the NFL. He wins
                  > the 2002 comeback player of the year award over a guy (Robert Edwards)
                  > who almost loses his leg due to damaging all 4 knee ligaments,
                  > severing a major blood vessel, and crushing major nerves. Doctors were
                  > telling him he may not be able to walk normally, and he ends up
                  > playing in the NFL again. I don't care if he was a backup player. He
                  > made the team (Miami Mammals), and earned significant playing time. He
                  > should have won it, hands down.
                  >
                  > Hope he's doing well.

                  IIRC he was with the Montreal Alouettes this year, and looking pretty
                  healthy.

                  Tim
                • Frank
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 6, 2006
                    Thanks for the info. I checked it out. He ended the season 3rd in the
                    CFL in rushing, with 1199 yards. Good to see him doing well.

                    fdb

                    --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Illingworth"