RE: [patriotzip] NFL MVP...

  • Don Diamant
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 5, 2006

      Agreed, but they could still make the winning conference team the “hometeam”.  Say the decided to do it this way this year, the AFC team that makes the Superbowl would be the “home” team.  It’s not the advantage of actual home turf but it’s something, maybe.

      Don

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 5, 2006
        In a message dated 1/5/2006 7:42:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, jeepndd@... writes:

        Agreed, but they could still make the winning conference team the “hometeam”.  Say the decided to do it this way this year, the AFC team that makes the Superbowl would be the “home” team.  It’s not the advantage of actual home turf but it’s something, maybe.

        But How would that really make any difference at all?  They would get to pick what color of jersey,right?  What else would they get from the deal?
      • Ed Bryant
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 5, 2006
          What baseball does is stupid enough, without football copying it.  Home team for the Super Bowl?  What's that? The Lions if the NFC wins, the nearby Browns if the AFC wins?
          Why not just take Robert Edwards leg, and put it in a vise, and twist it?  The Pro Bowl is a chance fror players to get some sun, by the game itself is utterly without validity. I think they keep it for us, so we can withdraw from the NFL.  Some people even click over to Arena Ball rather than watch the Pro Bowl!

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 5, 2006
            I'm glad you brought up Robert Edwards! That was the biggest travesty
            of all time (well, maybe). Tommy Maddox comes back from being a sucky
            QB to one "good" year in the XFL, to one good year in the NFL. He wins
            the 2002 comeback player of the year award over a guy (Robert Edwards)
            who almost loses his leg due to damaging all 4 knee ligaments,
            severing a major blood vessel, and crushing major nerves. Doctors were
            telling him he may not be able to walk normally, and he ends up
            playing in the NFL again. I don't care if he was a backup player. He
            made the team (Miami Mammals), and earned significant playing time. He
            should have won it, hands down.

            Hope he's doing well.

            fdb

            --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, Ed Bryant <edbryant36@y...> wrote:

            > What baseball does is stupid enough, without football copying it.
            Home team for the Super Bowl? What's that? The Lions if the NFC wins,
            the nearby Browns if the AFC wins?
            > Why not just take Robert Edwards leg, and put it in a vise, and
            twist it? The Pro Bowl is a chance fror players to get some sun, by
            the game itself is utterly without validity. I think they keep it for
            us, so we can withdraw from the NFL. Some people even click over to
            Arena Ball rather than watch the Pro Bowl!

          • Christopher Robert Woods
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 5, 2006
              How can you justify giving the MVP vote to someone whose team lost all but
              one of the tough matchups on their schedule?

              Yes football is a team sport, yes the Patriots have had a lot of
              devastating injuries and the defense has more to do with those losses than
              the offense but the offense wasn't exactly lighting up the field those
              games. If the Denver comeback doesn't fizzle and Brady is just a *little*
              more on the money with those INTs against KC then I'm more inclined to
              agree.

              On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Frank wrote:

              > I agree that Shaun Alexander was the correct choice for MVP. But how on
              > earth does Poutin' Manning get more votes than Brady after what Tom did
              > this year, carrying a gravely wounded team. It's not "player with best
              > numbers" or "player on team with best record", it's "most valuable
              > player".
              >
              > Next thing you know they'll send Michael Vick to the Pro Bowl!
              >
              > What!!! They did?!
              >
              > fdb
              >

              > To unsubscribe from Zip's New England Patriots Fan Group, send an email to:
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              =================
              Christopher Robert Woods
              chris@...
            • Don Diamant
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 5, 2006

                More tickets for that team’s fans!  Perhaps an additional 20% more of the total tickets available.  Now that would be something.

                Don

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 5, 2006
                  Yeah, I am probably over-reacting. I admit it. I'm a homer. I haven't
                  watched Manning much this year, but I know the offense struggled early
                  on. As you said, if the Pats won a couple of those tough games in the
                  first half of the season, it would be a different argument. But hey,
                  ya gotta support yer guys!

                  fdb

                  --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Robert Woods
                  <chris@p...> wrote:

                  > How can you justify giving the MVP vote to someone whose team lost
                  all but
                  > one of the tough matchups on their schedule?
                  >
                  > Yes football is a team sport, yes the Patriots have had a lot of
                  > devastating injuries and the defense has more to do with those
                  losses than
                  > the offense but the offense wasn't exactly lighting up the field those
                  > games. If the Denver comeback doesn't fizzle and Brady is just a
                  *little*
                  > more on the money with those INTs against KC then I'm more inclined to
                  > agree.
                  >
                  > On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Frank wrote:
                  >
                  > > I agree that Shaun Alexander was the correct choice for MVP. But
                  how on
                  > > earth does Poutin' Manning get more votes than Brady after what
                  Tom did
                  > > this year, carrying a gravely wounded team. It's not "player with
                  best
                  > > numbers" or "player on team with best record", it's "most valuable
                  > > player".
                  > >
                  > > Next thing you know they'll send Michael Vick to the Pro Bowl!
                  > >
                  > > What!!! They did?!
                  > >
                  > > fdb
                  > >

                  > > To unsubscribe from Zip's New England Patriots Fan Group, send an
                  email to:

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  > >

                  > =================
                  > Christopher Robert Woods
                  > chris@p...

                • Tim Illingworth
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 5, 2006
                    Frank said:
                    > I'm glad you brought up Robert Edwards! That was the biggest travesty
                    > of all time (well, maybe). Tommy Maddox comes back from being a sucky
                    > QB to one "good" year in the XFL, to one good year in the NFL. He wins
                    > the 2002 comeback player of the year award over a guy (Robert Edwards)
                    > who almost loses his leg due to damaging all 4 knee ligaments,
                    > severing a major blood vessel, and crushing major nerves. Doctors were
                    > telling him he may not be able to walk normally, and he ends up
                    > playing in the NFL again. I don't care if he was a backup player. He
                    > made the team (Miami Mammals), and earned significant playing time. He
                    > should have won it, hands down.
                    >
                    > Hope he's doing well.

                    IIRC he was with the Montreal Alouettes this year, and looking pretty
                    healthy.

                    Tim
                  • Frank
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 6, 2006
                      Thanks for the info. I checked it out. He ended the season 3rd in the
                      CFL in rushing, with 1199 yards. Good to see him doing well.

                      fdb

                      --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Illingworth"