Re: [patriotzip] AFC Playoff Picture in some detail

  • Buh Buh KEn
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 15, 2005
      As fans we get the small liberty of looking ahead from time to time, but I
      can not agree with you more. Bring on the Bucs and get the win!

      Buh Buh KEn

      ----Original Message Follows----
      Just win our games and see what happens...start with Tampa Bay.

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 16, 2005
        We'll win this weekend, I'm sure of it and then we can go from there.
        GO PATRIOTS!!!!

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 19, 2005
          As most of us already know, the Patriots have in fact won their AFC-East
          Division and as such locked up a playoff spot. The worst they can finish is
          the fourth seed and there is some chance of achieving the third seed which
          is both unlikely and in my opinion undesired. They do need to improve their
          confidence and performances while getting a few bodies back to full health
          such as Ben Watson and hopefully a Tackle or two. Their next opportunity is
          the New York Jets at Giants Stadium on Monday Night. I believe this is the
          final ABC Monday Night Football Game...the end of an era and hopefully it
          will end with a dominant Patriot victory in which Brooks gets to help our
          secondary work on their skills so the much maligned Assante Samuel can
          overcome his infection and get into playoff shape!

          Current Seedings:
          1) Indianapolis Colts 13-1 (11-1 AFC)
          2) Denver Broncos11-3 (8-2 AFC)
          3) Cincinatti Bengals 11-3 (7-3 AFC)
          4) New England Patriots9-5 (6-4 AFC)
          5) Wild Card Jacksonville Jaguars 10-4 (7-3 AFC)
          6) Wildcard San Diego Chargers 9-5 (7-3 AFC)

          Contending Reasonably:
          Pittsburgh Steelers 9-5 (6-5 AFC)
          Kansas City Chiefs 8-6 (7-3 AFC)

          Remaining Games:
          Indianapolis Colts:
          @ Seattle, Arizona

          Denver Broncos:
          Oakland, @San Diego

          Cincinatti Bengals
          Buffalo,@ Kansas City

          New England Patriots:
          @ NY Jets, Miami

          Jacksonville Jaguars:
          @ Houston, Tennessee

          SanDiego Chargers:
          @ Kansas City, Denver

          Kansas City Chiefs:
          SanDiego, Cincinatti

          Pittsburgh Steelers:
          @ Cleveland Detroit

          The First Seed still belongs only to Indianapolis.
          The Second Seed is now a battle between Denver and Cincinatti
          New England is on the outside of the third seed battle with the Bengals if
          they fail to surpass Denver. Realistically the Pats will have the fourth
          seed.
          Jacksonville has a stranglehold on the fifth seed.
          Pittsburgh and SanDiego are fighting for the sixth seed with KC on the
          outside looking in...

          The highest seed hosts the lowest remaining seed each round of the playoffs.
          So in round 1:
          Wildcard Round: (January 7,8)
          Seed 3 hosts Seed 6
          Seed 4 hosts Seed 5

          As it stands currently the Pats would play Jacksonville and given the
          Jaguars easy schedule this is a very likely end result.

          In week two of the playoffs:
          Divisional Round (January 14, 15):
          Seed 1 hosts lowest remaining
          Seed 2 hosts the other team

          In this scenario New England would travel to the Indianapolis RCA Dome if
          they win and the wildcard did not advance in the other bracket.

          In the AFC Championship
          Highest remaining Seed hosts the other.

          Seeds are higher priority than the records of teams as preferential
          treatment to the winning of your division. Seeds are determined by four
          division winners first and schedule results secondly.

          Tie Breakers for the seedings are:
          Record,Head to head, AFC record and then a steadily more confusing
          breakdown we likely won't need.

          So how might the Pats HOst an AFC Championship? Well first they would have
          to win their first two games. Secondly a wildcard team would have to
          advance so a tam like Pittsburgh or San Diego would have to upset first the
          3 seed and then go upset the Colts. In 19865 the Wildcard New England
          Patriots did jus this beating Mimi, Oakland and the Jets on the road.

          England patriots