Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Saints)

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 21, 2005
      MRSLJOHNSON52@... wrote:
      Lisa (a little nervous about KC)

      ***** As well you should be, Lisa! However, while I am not at all confident of victory in this one, I am still looking forward to this game. It is going to be a good test of whether or not our secondary is making real progress.

      ***** The play of the last couple of weeks, while it has had a LOT more "bend" than is acceptable, has not gone to the "break" point in crunch time. As Steve noted earlier, Hobbs and Stone really do appear to be an upgrade over what we've had there previously. I feel that keeping the same 4-some back there as a unit for a few consectutive games will make a huge difference in their overall performance, as they gain a better feel for the speed and reactions of their teammates.

      ***** Gonzalez is going to be a tough challenge for this group. I wish we could afford to put somebody on him at the LOS on every play, but Larry Johnson is too much of a threat to weaken our front 7 with that tactic. It will be interesting to see how we defend him. If we go zone against him, he'll kill us!
    • Dave L
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
        The Good
        - I usually don't start this way but, the Saints are that good boys and girls. They have a scary good offence and their blitzing D is better than advertised.
        - Maroney ran hard and with a purpose. Except for the fumble (which he atoned for by causing one) he is hitting the holes and bringing it to the D.
        - Nice to see Sammy back in action.
        - Aiken had a very nice game. Should have had a long TD if Brady didn't overthrow him.
        - I like the fact that the Pats captains don't have a "C" on their jersey like every other one in the league does. On a side note, does anyone know what the stars under the "C" stand for? Brees, for example had 3 of the 4 colored in but the ST captain only had 1 of them.
        - No one touches the Shaq-tus.
        - NO needed this win much more than we did. With the Miami loss, we are still in control of the division. NO needed to keep pace with Minnesota and to prove to the critics that they were an elite team.
        - The class act that BB was after the game. Had a nice little chat with Peyton at mid field and then searched out Brees and said something nice to him. (Loved that Brees said "hey coach"). A true sign of mutual respect.

        The Bad
        - Our pass rush was non existent. For a lot of the game we were sort of rushing and sort of covering. We needed to either bring everyone or drop into a true dime.
        - The interception really killed the momentum of the team. I don't know why. We were only down 3 after the Thomas TD and then down 14 at the half. We were only down 7 after the 2nd Maroney TD and had a chance to make the game very interesting.
        - What was with the play calling at the end of the half. We had the ball at the 35 and then took 3 shots into the end zone. We had plenty of opportunity to take a short pass and then clock it. At least it would have given us a better shot at a FG than the 50 yarder we tried.
        - Our DBs were half a step late all night. We were in good coverage for a lot of the completions as they were just great throws but in many cases, we were too slow. The lack of a pass rush is part of it as they had time to make 2 and 3 moves to get open.
        - Meriwether blew the coverage on the Meacham TD but I think it was more than just him. It looked like a corner blitz with partial man and partial zone behind it. I think the entire D was out of sorts on that play.
        - Our O looked out of sync for much of the night. Brady missed a few wide open guys and then forced it into other places. Not sure if we just came out flat or the game plan wasn't there.

        The Ugly
        - The most blatant pass interference call was missed on Welker which would have put the ball at the 10. Instead, the refs make it up on the next call with an illegal contact call that only gives us 5 yards. That was a terrible call.
        - I am going to preface this with that I see nothing wrong with what NO did at the end of the game. There is a tremendous double standard here about running up the score. NO is up 21 with the ball and 5 minutes to go. They then proceed to throw into the EZ. If the roles were reversed and that was the Pats up by 21, we never would have heard the end of it in the media. Ryan and the rest of the league and reporters would have had a field day about how BB likes to rub it in. No one is saying that about NO today.
        - Think about this. Miami had a shot at signing Brees but decided to go with Culpeper instead. Sounds like one of the biggest GM blunders in the history of the game.
        - Weis is gone in ND with 6 years left on his contract. He will get every penny of it too.

        Dave
      • chris dressler
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
          The only thing that makes me not feel so bad about this game/team is the history of the teams that won the SuperBowls.  They did not always have the best records in the league.

          It is about winning it all... not winning them all.

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 14, 2013
            The Good
            • 73 seconds is plenty of time to go 70 yards, right?  Hell, we even left 5 seconds on the clock at the end.  No need to worry.
            • Talib blanketed Graham all game (until he went out) and then McCourty took over.  I didn’t think BB would take a CB and match up with Graham but he did.  Both players did a great job, holding him catchless.  Even Arrington knocked down 2 passes to the big man.
            • I have to give credit to Dennard as he played a heck of a game.  I know the final TD was on him but he had perfect coverage, turned for the ball, elevated to knock it away but couldn’t quite get there.  There was a little offensive pass interference on the play which contributed to the miss.  Dennard was in good coverage on many other plays as well.
            • Jones and Jones go wire to wire, creating havoc and helping control the run game.
            • The D held a dangerous NO offense to only 20 first downs and 230 yards passing on under 50% completions.  Doesn’t sound all that great but look at the stars on the NO offence.  Only giving up 5 3rd down conversions is great, however.
            • Vellano leads the team with 8 total tackles.  Who needs Vince?
            • Allen continues to impress.  He averaged over 50 yards a kick for the 4 he had and dropped 1 inside the 20.
            • Ghost is kicking well.  Loved that BB had faith in him to hit the 54 yarder.  He is a great weapon.
            • Ridley ran like he did last year.  It was nice to see we can finally block on short runs to get the yards we need. This will go a long way to improving our red zone conversions.
            • I liked the hurry up.  We put a lot of pressure on the D and got into some type of rhythm.
            • BB finally shows the sense of humor that everyone says he has.  His opening remarks from the press conference.  "Sorry if you have to rewrite some your stories there at the end…What a football game. That took about 5 years off my life."  Good thing he is in 5th for all time wins as a coach (passing Chuck Noll).
            • Hooman was a man.  4 catches for 57 yards and played almost the entire game.  He is a fantastic blocker and is constantly moving around the formation.  This guy has a great motor without the elite talent.
            • Brady had probably the best rush he has had since juking out Urlacher.  The high stepping to get away from the tackle and pick up 11 yards and 1st down was great.  Lightning quick.
            • I thought we contained the dangerous Sproles very well all game.  He is so shifty in open space that he only broke free once or twice for moderate gains.
            The Bad
            • 12 was off quite a bit today and this is a continuing trend.  He missed Amendola badly as he got way behind the defense.  Would have been an easy 6.  He also under threw Thompkins at the goal line, putting it way short of what would have also been 6.  These can’t be blamed on the WRs.  This is on the QB.  He did pass Vinny Testiverde for 8th on the passing list and tied Fran Tarkinton for 4th for TD passes, though.
            • Too many drops continue to plague us.  Everyone is dropping the ball.. Thompkins, Dobson, Amendola, Boldin and Edelman all didn’t come through when needed.
            • I liked the idea of the throwback on the punt return but Edelman needs to know to hold onto the ball on a busted play.  When the block in front was missed, he was throwing off balance, falling away from Talib.  Could have gone for a huge play or been a huge turnover.
            • The OL continues to struggle, giving up another 5 sacks and a couple more hurries. There were a couple of busted plays that we never see out of this group.  Something is wrong with what I thought would be a strength of this team.  Dante needs to work his magic.
            • I hated the throw for the pick when we were got the ball back down 4.  We didn’t need to go for it all.  We had plenty of time to dink and dunk down the field.  Throwing to a covered Edelman is not the right play.  He isn’t the guy to battle for a jump ball.

            The Ugly
            • Injuries are killing us.  Talib, Amendola, Connolly and Mayo couldn’t finish the game.  Mayo didn’t look bad when it happened so I hope it is just precautionary.  Connolly left early and it lead to a couple of immediate mistakes.  Talib was playing great and then the hip went.  I hope it doesn’t linger like last year.  Amendola was absolutely wrecked on that hit.  He could be gone for a while with the way he looked walking the sidelines.
            • The empty seats at the end of the game.  People started leaving after NO kicked the FG to go up 4.  Then after the pick, more people started going.  I bet they were kicking themselves while sitting in traffic on Route 1.
            • Not sure what the ref means by “ there was no penalty for holding as the defender ran through the hold.”  The refs had a couple of curious calls as well.  The false start that forced a NO punt was clearly offsides on us.  There was a phantom PI on Dobson as well negating a 30 yard gain.
            • Play clock is at zero, Brees tries to call time out but the snap happens.  He looks for Graham who injures his foot on the play and can’t move well so Brees overthrows him for an Arrington pick.  Wow.  What a mess. Should have been either a delay of game or a time out.

            David Levine
            Process Engineer
            Rapid Assay Solutions
            IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.
            One IDEXX Drive
            Westbrook, ME 04092
            207-556-8893
            207-632-4097 (cell)
            207-556-8665 (fax)
            david-levine@...

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 14, 2013

              Good column as usual….I always really appreciate this.

              I don’t get all of the games, so I like to hear all of the facets of the game.

              The injuries, man those are like nightmares that won’t go away.

              The hit on Amendola looked especially uncalled for when I saw some replays—too rough maybe.

              Under “ugly”, how about the Houston fans cheering in the own house when their player went down and out? That is beyond nasty.

              Now we get ready for the Jesters…nice loss they had yesterday.

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 14, 2013
                Dave Good stuff as usual.  A coup of comments:  Marcus Cannon was flat out brutal.  OL wasn't good but Cannon was abyssmal.  The Offensive Interference call on Dobson was brtal.  That is the same stuff nquan Boldin does every week.  Then the same official that makes that call doesn'make the exact same call on Kenny Still in the End Zone on his TD catch.  That call on Dobson could have changed the game.

                Mark Morse Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup