Cloud on the horizon?

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
      From Mike Reiss today:

      The Patriots continue to explore possibilities at running back. Former
      Boston College product Michael Cloud, who played for the Patriots in
      2003, was in for a tryout at Gillette Stadium on Wednesday.

      On Tuesday, the Patriots worked out free-agent running back Olandis
      Gary. Other running backs in for tryouts within the last month include
      Erik Bickerstaff, Quentin Griffin and Charlie Garner.

      Another free-agent possibility could be Anthony Thomas, who was waived
      by the Cowboys this week. Calls to his representatives on Thursday
      weren't returned.

      I can see #80 at tailback now!

      fdb
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
        According to Reiss... Jesse Chatman and Anthony Thomas worked out
        yesterday. He suspects a signing before Monday. This is making it
        look more and more like neither Dillon nor Pass will be available.

        Can you imagine that we could be auditioning backups for Heath
        Evans!!!

        Ouch!

        fdb

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
          ***** I think the problem is that they don't believe that Corey can go anywhere near full time. My guess is that he'll play, but we have to have somebody who can spell him frequently. It's not likely that Evans will have more than 3-4 plays in the plan for him, and those may be passes. He just hasn't had enough time with the team to pick up much.

          ***** As for a new guy, whoever it is (other than Cloud), I don't know how much we can possibly expect from a guy who signs and plays on the same freakin' day!

          ***** The O will apparently be primarily on Brady's shoulders even moreso than usual. It has to be a game in which the old "use the short pass as a run" tactic is the theme. I'd expect lots of quick outs, slants, WR/TE screens, etc.; using those to set up the deeper routes.

          George

          Frank <frank.dana@...> wrote:
          According to Reiss... Jesse Chatman and Anthony Thomas worked out
          yesterday. He suspects a signing before Monday. This is making it
          look more and more like neither Dillon nor Pass will be available.

          Can you imagine that we could be auditioning backups for Heath
          Evans!!!

          Ouch!

          fdb

          --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frank.dana@c...> wrote:

          > From Mike Reiss today:

          > The Patriots continue to explore possibilities at running back.
          Former
          > Boston College product Michael Cloud, who played for the Patriots
          in
          > 2003, was in for a tryout at Gillette Stadium on Wednesday.
          >
          > On Tuesday, the Patriots worked out free-agent running back Olandis
          > Gary. Other running backs in for tryouts within the last month
          include
          > Erik Bickerstaff, Quentin Griffin and Charlie Garner.
          >
          > Another free-agent possibility could be Anthony Thomas, who was
          waived
          > by the Cowboys this week. Calls to his representatives on Thursday
          > weren't returned.
          >
          > I can see #80 at tailback now!
          >
          > fdb

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
            You're absolutely right about bringing a guy in who doesn't know the
            game plan, or even the terminology (advantage, Cloud). As far as
            the "short pass as run" tactic; it's logical, but you know darn well
            Dungy is well aware of our situation, and will be expecting it. I
            guess it's all about execution.

            fdb

            --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, George <patswingr@y...> wrote:

            > ***** I think the problem is that they don't believe that Corey can
            go anywhere near full time. My guess is that he'll play, but we have
            to have somebody who can spell him frequently. It's not likely that
            Evans will have more than 3-4 plays in the plan for him, and those
            may be passes. He just hasn't had enough time with the team to pick
            up much.

            > ***** As for a new guy, whoever it is (other than Cloud), I don't
            know how much we can possibly expect from a guy who signs and plays
            on the same freakin' day!

            > ***** The O will apparently be primarily on Brady's shoulders
            even moreso than usual. It has to be a game in which the old "use the
            short pass as a run" tactic is the theme. I'd expect lots of quick
            outs, slants, WR/TE screens, etc.; using those to set up the deeper
            routes.

            > George
            >
            > Frank <frank.dana@c...> wrote:
            > According to Reiss... Jesse Chatman and Anthony Thomas worked out
            > yesterday. He suspects a signing before Monday. This is making it
            > look more and more like neither Dillon nor Pass will be available.
            >
            > Can you imagine that we could be auditioning backups for Heath
            > Evans!!!
            >
            > Ouch!
            >
            > fdb
            >
            > --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frank.dana@c...> wrote:
            > >
            > > From Mike Reiss today:

            > > The Patriots continue to explore possibilities at running back.
            > Former
            > > Boston College product Michael Cloud, who played for the Patriots
            > in
            > > 2003, was in for a tryout at Gillette Stadium on Wednesday.
            > >
            > > On Tuesday, the Patriots worked out free-agent running back
            Olandis
            > > Gary. Other running backs in for tryouts within the last month
            > include
            > > Erik Bickerstaff, Quentin Griffin and Charlie Garner.
            > >
            > > Another free-agent possibility could be Anthony Thomas, who was
            > waived
            > > by the Cowboys this week. Calls to his representatives on
            Thursday
            > > weren't returned.
            > >
            > > I can see #80 at tailback now!
            > >
            > > fdb

            email to:

            > Nfl team flag Nfl team jersey

            Service.

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
              Frank <frank.dana@...> wrote:
              I guess it's all about execution.

              fdb

              ***** Frank, we're allowed to tackle Manning; but I think execution is grounds for disqualification!
            • Frank
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
                LOL!!

                Oh please, now you sound like Ben Dreith!

                fdb

                --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, George <patswingr@y...> wrote:

                > Frank <frank.dana@c...> wrote: I guess it's all about execution.
                >
                > fdb
                >
                > ***** Frank, we're allowed to tackle Manning; but I think execution
                is grounds for disqualification!

              • rogue35lk
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
                  Count me among the people in favor of bringing Cloud back. I never
                  thought he got a real shot the first time he was here.

                  --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frank.dana@c...> wrote:

                  > From Mike Reiss today:

                  > The Patriots continue to explore possibilities at running back.
                  Former
                  > Boston College product Michael Cloud, who played for the Patriots
                  in
                  > 2003, was in for a tryout at Gillette Stadium on Wednesday.
                  >
                  > On Tuesday, the Patriots worked out free-agent running back
                  Olandis
                  > Gary. Other running backs in for tryouts within the last month
                  include
                  > Erik Bickerstaff, Quentin Griffin and Charlie Garner.
                  >
                  > Another free-agent possibility could be Anthony Thomas, who was
                  waived
                  > by the Cowboys this week. Calls to his representatives on Thursday
                  > weren't returned.
                  >
                  > I can see #80 at tailback now!
                  >
                  > fdb

                • jmsweb55
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
                    The guys at Scout are saying the Cloud thing is a done deal:

                    " According to our inside sources, the Patriots who have been
                    auditioning running backs throughout the last couple weeks will sign
                    RB Mike Cloud today. "

                    They have a members only area which is also reporting that Could was
                    walking around the team complex and that they're waiting to talk to
                    the other player they have to relase before announcing the deal.

                    well well.

                    Mike Cloud returns.

                    veeeeery interesting

                    --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "rogue35lk" <levon.knowles@m...> wrote:

                    > Count me among the people in favor of bringing Cloud back. I never
                    > thought he got a real shot the first time he was here.

                  • Ed Bryant
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
                      Surely you don't think Evans is a sub for Dillon; he replaces Klecko, Seymour, Hochstein, and Pass.  He's not about to start lugging the leather at this point in his career.  We need to hold onto the ball for thirty-four minutes this Monday, and Evans only has to know where the Colts are, and knock one of them over.  If he plays as much as Bruchi did against the Bills (when Buffalo had the ball for thirty-nine damn minutes) I expect we will win.
                      As for replacing Dillon, Mike Cloud had two two touchdown games in 2003, and wasn't the second one in Indy?????? Bring him on, too, but don't tell me Freeman could be cut.  I know it was I who suggested Flutie at safety against Drew Brees, but that was to be a one week deal!!!

                    • Frank
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 4, 2005
                        Reiss concurs. Arturo Freeman was officially released to make room.

                        Don Davis, you da man! Maybe we'll see Mike Stone or James Sanders
                        back there, but their experience is limited. What a mess!

                        I'm sure BB has a plan.

                        fdb