Re: The WORST ...

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 3, 2005
      Kind of misspoke myself. We really didn't have Ty Law last year. What
      I meant was over the course of the Manning era.

      Also, Mike Reiss indicated that the Pats have worked out FA RBs
      Olandis Gary, Erik Bickerstaff, and Quentin Griffin recently. If
      Dillon and Pass can't go, and Zeroue gone, it will be the immortal
      Heath Evans at tailback! Who backs him up? Klecko?!

      fdb

      --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <frank.dana@c...> wrote:

      > Our success over the years against Peyton has been predicated upon
      > befuddling him with coverages; forcing him into mistakes.
      > Unfortunately, that may be very difficult to accomplish with the
      > secondary we have in place at the moment. It's not just the talent
      > level, but the intellect. Last year we had Harrison and Law running
      > the show, directing traffic. No one has stepped up to take on that
      > role since Rodney went down. Getting Gay back will help, but he's
      in
      > no position to take control back there. I'm a little surprised
      Wilson

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 3, 2005
        Can we beat the Colts?

        We couldn't last year in the playoffs and we have no more ability to beat them now then we did then...

        Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 10:22 PM
        Subject: RE: [patriotzip] Re: The WORST ...

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 3, 2005
          This was an excellent post as usual and I wanted to add a few things to it since I haven't dug out enough time for the preview on the page yet.

          One other strength we've had with the Colts is not just disguise but study such that we would counter their audibles with our own audibles.  We'd understand their offense well enough to adjust to the Manning adjustments.  With so much based on audibles we were aware of them and often put exactly the change needed to stop their play.  This is what frustrated Manning even more than the disguise.  Harrison is a big loss to this process but Law was no part of that process in our 20-3 victory in the playoffs...and heck had Wilson held the int we would have shut him out entirely!  So I think Tedy is a help but we still will miss Harrison.  We also wish we had Gay in place of   Starks for certain.  I've been thinking about this a fair bit and if Starks is giving us so much trouble... for whatevert the reasons then why not take him out of Man to man.  Gay did practice this week on Wednesday but I'm not expecting miracles from him but why not Zone form to react to Manning's situations.  Make the game based on the short game and punishing them...make them be perfect to earn each score...effectively the much absent bend but don't break as opposed to the bend and break we've emplyed thus far.  It's harder to run against a zone and it's easier to limit the challenges of a particular corner... just a thought.

          To me the status of our own run game and Tommy being poised and sharp more of the game are the essential criteria for taking the Colts out of their game.  That and a crowd willing to work hard to make it a hard day on Manning...

          "Cut that Meat!"

          Go Pats
[...]

          On offense, we should be able to move the ball, and score. Tom has to
          be on his game (all 60 minutes) and Corey better be heathy. Don't
          look for many passes to the TEs. They will be pass blocking all
          night. I see a lot of short passes and draw/screen type things, to
          slow down the pressure early on. The Colts D hasn't really been
          tested. I'm sure they have improved, but they have yet to prove it
          against an explosive offense.

          Unless we can get an early lead, and make the Colts one-dimensional,
          it could be a long night. I hate the thought of Starks on any of
          those receivers. Lets hope Gay is activated.

          We're underdogs for good reason, but if we can control the ball, and
          prevent the big play, we have a chance. JMO.

          fdb

          --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Moore" <scmoore@a...> wrote:

          > What do we think for Monday night's game?
          > Will we win?

        • chris dressler

            Our success over the years against Peyton has been predicated upon
            befuddling him with coverages; forcing him into mistakes.
            Unfortunately, that may be very difficult to accomplish with the
            secondary we have in place at the moment. It's not just the talent
            level, but the intellect. Last year we had Harrison and Law running
            the show, directing traffic. No one has stepped up to take on that
            role since Rodney went down. Getting Gay back will help, but he's in
            no position to take control back there. I'm a little surprised Wilson
            hasn't taken the bull by the horns.

            We could mitigate the situation with more pressure, and I think
            that's what we will try to do. It's extremely dangerous against
            Manning, and considering our inconsistancy in the pass rush, it's
            likely to backfire. He's as good as anyone in reading the blitz and
            hitting the hot receiver. Our disguises will have to be exceptional.

            We've also struggled mightily against the run this year, as we all
            know. If Edge gets going, it will open things up even more for
            Manning. Limiting the effectiveness of the run will also be key.
            Third down efficiency on defense. Force some three-and-outs.

            On offense, we should be able to move the ball, and score. Tom has to
            be on his game (all 60 minutes) and Corey better be heathy. Don't
            look for many passes to the TEs. They will be pass blocking all
            night. I see a lot of short passes and draw/screen type things, to
            slow down the pressure early on. The Colts D hasn't really been
            tested. I'm sure they have improved, but they have yet to prove it
            against an explosive offense.

            Unless we can get an early lead, and make the Colts one-dimensional,
            it could be a long night. I hate the thought of Starks on any of
            those receivers. Lets hope Gay is activated.

            We're underdogs for good reason, but if we can control the ball, and
            prevent the big play, we have a chance. JMO.

            fdb

            --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Moore" <scmoore@a...> wrote:

            > What do we think for Monday night's game?
            > Will we win?

          • Peter Anderson
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 3, 2005
              And this year's version is even better "DE-CAF, DE-CAF"

              Peter