Re: LPC : Notre Dame extends Weis through 2015

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2005
      ***** Charlie and Pete figure to be quite a show for many years to come!

      George (Happy for both of them!)

      PatriotEd <JapanPats@...> wrote:
      Notre Dame extends Weis through 2015

      SOUTH BEND, Indiana -- It took Notre Dame football coach Charlie Weis only
      seven games to earn a new contract.
      Notre Dame has signed Weis to a new 10-year deal, the school announced
      Saturday.
      Weis originally had signed a six-year contract through the 2010 season when
      he was hired last December. This new deal takes effect next season and runs
      through 2015.

      "Since the first day I arrived at Notre Dame as head football coach, one of
      my primary goals was to be able to see this job through to the time my son,
      Charlie, would graduate from the University of Notre Dame and to stay in
      this position until I retire," Weis said. "By restructuring this contract,
      adding an additional five years, this allows me to accomplish that goal."

      Weis has led the Fighting Irish, who began the season unranked, to a 5-2
      mark and the No. 9 ranking. Notre Dame also nearly upset top-ranked Southern
      California three weeks ago before coming up just short, 34-31.

      "In a very short period of time, Charlie has clearly and impressively
      demonstrated the ability to take the Notre Dame program where we all want it
      to go," Notre Dame athletic director Kevin White said.

      "We're excited that Charlie wanted to extend his commitment to Notre Dame,
      combined with the University's interest in furthering its relationship with
      him. All of us are enthusiastic about what the future holds for Notre Dame
      football with Charlie Weis as our head coach. We're confident that we've got
      the best coach in America ensconced at his alma mater for the remainder of
      his career."