Re: Why Bruschi is the savior

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2005
      ***** I, too, agree that Tedy's return will result in a significant improvement in the overall D. You're right about Beisel, Darren. He can't tackle because he can't get off of blocks. Part of the reason for that may be his uncertainty about where he should go. All it takes is a micro second of hesitation to be at a major disadvantage against a good NFL blocker.
      ***** It's possible that Tedy's presence, and direction, will take the pressure off of Beisel, and help him anticipate, rather than react to opponents. That is the key to success inside. The difference between making or missing a tackle is just one small step. Beisel has excellent tackling ability. Remember that he was a ST standout for KC before he got a shot at starting from scrimmage. He just needs to anticipate, and be in better position to avoid or shed blockers.
      ***** As for the secondary, you forgot Arturo Freeman. No, he's not Rodney Harrison. But I think his experience can help back there, once he becomes a little more familiar with the system. He's a decent player. Better at this stage of his career, IMO, than the kids are at reading what's coming, and that means greater - sing it Carly! - AN-TI-CI-PA-TION! You can't make big defensive plays without it against either the run or the pass.

      Darren Dupre <darrend@...> wrote:
      I agree with all of your points very much, except number 4. I don't see how Bruschi makes Biesel a good tackler. Either Biesel just doesn't have the fundamental skills or he is so overwhelmed with the new system that he is tentative out there. I don't see how anything but time and experience can help that.

      On your whole premise I think that Bruschi will help the inside run defense tremendously. This will allow the edge rushers to think pass and go after the QB with more vengence. Although a better run D will help guard against the safeties having to provide run support - it's not like the Pats have been putting 8 in the box that much since Rodney went out. The secondary is still vulnerable with Bruschi out there.

      The cast of characters on deck to play DB (Samuel, Starks, Gay, Poteat, Poole, Wilson, Sanders, etc) only Samuel and Wilson inspire confidence in my opinion. And Wilson is borderline. Who is the leader in this group? The more and more I think about the Andre Davis resigning - the more I think we're going to see #80 out there. While he may not have the CB skills of the rest, Belichick has high confidence in him. He won't serve as the leader, but he will be an example to the younger DBs. "Hey, if a 34 year-old wide receiver is taking my job - maybe I should work harder to make plays."

      Just a thought....

      -------------- Original message from "Levine, David" : --------------