The Point After - NY Giants game

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2005
      Abysmal … that’s the one word description of the
      performance by Matt Cassel. The 27 – 3 loss to the NY
      Giants was not the way you want to close out the
      pre-season. It was truly unfair to all those players
      trying to make the roster to have such a poor
      performance by Cassel be the final judgment on whether
      or not they make the team. My feeling now is that we
      need to find a #3 QB because Matt Cassel needs a full
      year to get back the timing he needs to be an NFL QB.
      He doesn’t perform his pre snap reads, has no sense of
      where the pass rush is coming from, no pocket
      presence, no internal clock. I would take Jared
      Lorenzen over Cassel right now.

      I thought the Patriots backup defense played pretty
      well against the starters for the NY Giants and if
      Doug Flutie doesn’t throw the Interception (rushed
      right up the middle and into his feet, not allowing
      him to step up) they were in position to go ahead!
      Matt Chatham, Tully Banta-Cain, Don Davis, Randall
      Gay, James Sanders, Guss Scott and Chad Scott shut
      down the passing game of the Giants. On Special Teams
      Wesley Mallard will make it hard for him to get cut.

      The Wide Receiver battle didn’t show much. Bill
      Belichek made a point before the game when he was
      mic’d up. He stated to Bob Kraft that he didn’t want
      any penalties on the WR’s. Well David Terrell got
      called for an early start. That play and his overall
      poor play will get him a ticket out of town. PK Sam
      had a couple of catches, but also dropped a TD catch.
      Bethel Johnson was out of step and should have caught
      two long passes. Interesting that Johnson was used on
      the punt coverage team as the gunner. He got down
      field quickly, but has no sense how to tackle. Andre
      Davis looked the best with a couple of short easy
      catches and runs before he got hurt.

      Tully Banta Cain and James Sanders left the game hurt.
      Sanders appeared to be a knee injury. How serious
      any of these are is anyone’s guess? Kyle Eckel was
      also dinged up late in the game, but ran off the field
      under his own power.

      Final Roster Spot Battles

      Cedric Cobbs , Rohan Davey , Dexter Reid, and Jason
      Anderson were kicked off the Island this week. I have
      added Andre Davis and Bethel Johnson and removed Tim
      Dwight and Dan Klecko since I believe they are locks
      to make the team.

      Gene Mruczkowski C/G – He didn’t distinguish himself
      tonight. Do they keep 8 OL or 9.

      Jed Weaver TE – he had two drops and appeared to turn
      the wrong way on another

      Christian Fauria TE/ST – He was given the night off,
      indictaing he has made the team

      Bethel Johnson WR/ST – off the PUP list; he is on the
      bubble. He should have caught two long passes and
      didn’t.

      PK Sam WR – doesn’t play ST’s and showed nothing
      against Green Bay He needs another year on the
      Practice Squad

      Bam Childress WR/ST – Practice squad here we come; he
      had a lot of Kick Returns

      Andre Davis WR/ST – Vying with Bethel Johnson for back
      up ST role

      Kory Chapman RB/ST – He played well again even split
      out at WR. Has done nothing wrong; might not get
      through waivers.

      Kyle Eckels RB/ST – I love this guy – Not sure they
      keep him

      Mike Wright DT/ST – has had a good camp and shows
      potential- PS bound

      Eric Alexander LB/ST – He helped himself the most of
      any player in this game, but I just don’t think it
      will be with this team.

      Wesley Mallard LB/ST – Showed why he was 2nd on the
      Giants in Special Teams tackles last year. He is
      fighting with Davis for last LB/ST slot

      Don Davis LB/ST – spiritual veteran has locker room
      presence – that’s the difference. Started at MLB and
      played it pretty well.

      Duane Starks CB – Hasn’t played a single pre-season
      game - I could see him going on IR – the Patriots are
      already into him for $3M in signing bonus, so why not
      stash him for the year!

      "We never lose the hat and shirt games. If we know we're going to get
      hats and shirts, we win." - Tedy Bruschi

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • rockmaul74@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2005
        did you seriously think flutie or cassel is a good quarterback at this point. fluties old, a gimmick and cassels greener then the grass on my lawn
      • Don Diamant
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005

          Yes, I think Flutie is a good quarterback.  If you had put Tom Brady out there with an offensive line that continuously missed blocks and receivers who couldn’t catch the ball he would have looked like a disaster too.  I expected more out of our backups and was disappointed in many of them.

          Don

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
            oh right cause brady has always played with top notch talent like in 2001
          • Christopher Robert Woods
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
              On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 rockmaul74@... wrote:

              > oh right cause brady has always played with top notch talent like in 2001

              You are seriously comparing an OL that had Matt Light, Damien Woody, Mike
              Compton and Joe Andruzzi with Leyva, Mruczowski(sp?), Hochstein and a few
              other PS-at-best players?

              Get real dude. Both Flutie and Cassell were under pressure for the
              majority of the first half and it looked like there were a lot of missed
              blitz protection assignments.

              Why you people are getting so wound up over the performance of our 3rd
              string QB is beyond me. Flutie is a known commodity, put him out there
              with the first team and he'll get the job done.

              =================
              Christopher Robert Woods
              chris@...
            • Christopher Robert Woods
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                It's funny, the anti-Flutie people always come off more rabid than the
                Flutie fans they can't stand. I just like Doug Flutie and I think that
                had his contribution to the team in the late 80s not been ignored the
                team would have fared a lot better during that time. It's not like I
                think he's the greatest QB or he should play instead of Brady but ignoring
                the fact that he was playing with an OL that won't all be with the team
                this season is bullshit.

                On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, D Malachi Penney wrote:

                > He is one step away from a football god in Canada. I know you probably
                > don't care about that but his rep is based on more than that one HM
                > pass in college.
                >
                > Doug
                >
                > > this new england obsession with flutie irks me, he made on pass in
                > college
                > > 21 years ago and hes' some kind of god
                >

                > To unsubscribe from Zip's New England Patriots Fan Group, send an email to:
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                =================
                Christopher Robert Woods
                chris@...
              • Don Diamant
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005

                  Yes, Tom Brady has played with top talent since he started.  Just because a few chose to ignore the caliber of our players doesn’t give it any merit that we have or had a lack of talent on this team.

                  Don

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                    25.

                    On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 rockmaul74@... wrote:

                    > i'm sorry i forgot, please remind me, how many titles did doug flutie win in
                    > new england in the 1980's? you act like he saved the team

                    =================
                    Christopher Robert Woods
                    chris@...
                  • rockmaul74@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                      this new england obsession with flutie irks me, he made on pass in college 21 years ago and hes' some kind of god
                    • D Malachi Penney
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                          great he's a football god in canada. brady's a football god in the country where football actually means something
                        • rockmaul74@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                              i assume 25 is a joke.

                              I guess we agree to disagree
                            • llj7366@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                                WOW!  A little animosity going on here.  I think that Flutie is a good back up and I am comfortable with this.  He did more than just throw a hale mary in college.  He was a very good college quarterback and would not have been in that game if he wasn't.  It is nice to have a guy from around the area on the team, in my opinion.  Do I think that we will go to the Super Bowl if Brady gets hurt??  NOPE!  But that is not going to happen!
                                So, with that said.  Cassell is a rookie and he will be fine too.  Coach B. knows what he is doing and I have every faith that he sees something in this kid.  Do I think he is the next Brady?  Not really, but you never know.  I did not think that Brady was the next Brady!  Time will tell.
                                Lisa  (can't we just all get along!!)
                              • rockmaul74@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                                  oh i'm sorry, rod rutledge jermaine wiggens david paten charles johnon antwon smith, greg robinson randall were all top talent?
                                • D Malachi Penney
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                                    I would second this observation. I like Flutie too and am glad he's
                                    back in the fold for one more year before he retires.

                                    Doug

                                    > It's funny, the anti-Flutie people always come off more rabid than
                                    the
                                    > Flutie fans they can't stand. I just like Doug Flutie and I think
                                    that
                                    > had his contribution to the team in the late 80s not been ignored
                                    the
                                    > team would have fared a lot better during that time. It's not like
                                    > think he's the greatest QB or he should play instead of Brady but
                                    ignoring
                                    > the fact that he was playing with an OL that won't all be with the
                                    team
                                    > this season is bullshit.
                                    >
                                    > On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, D Malachi Penney wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > He is one step away from a football god in Canada. I know you
                                    probably
                                    > > don't care about that but his rep is based on more than that one
                                    HM
                                    > > pass in college.
                                    > >
                                    > > Doug
                                    > >
                                    > > > this new england obsession with flutie irks me, he made on pass
                                    in
                                    > > college
                                    > > > 21 years ago and hes' some kind of god
                                    > >

                                    > > To unsubscribe from Zip's New England Patriots Fan Group, send an
                                    email to:

                                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                    > >

                                    > =================
                                    > Christopher Robert Woods
                                    > chris@p...
                                  • Frank Northcutt
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
                                      So, was anyone impressed with any of the players last night? ;-)

                                      Don Davis showed me a lot. He looked pretty comfortable calling the
                                      defensive plays, making adjustments, and making tackles. Mallard was
                                      around the ball a lot also.

                                      Is it me, or is Randall Gay a textbook tackler.

                                      Eckel and Chapman both had their moments, but I was more impressed
                                      with Chapman. Seemed to find the holes better. A little shiftier than
                                      I remember, last time I saw him. And he showed great hands catching
                                      that short bullet from Flutie.

                                      O-line did look pretty shakey. Not too impressed with our depth in
                                      that area.

                                      Actually, I thought Weaver looked pretty good. Had 3 or 4 catches, but
                                      missed an easy one. Didn't really notice how he did in blocking
                                      assignments.He probably had to be flawless to make the team.

                                      Both QBs struggled. I don't think it was just the protection. It is
                                      unfortunate, since those receivers weren't really given a fair chance
                                      to distinguish themselves. Wanted to see what they could do after the
                                      catch. Bethel's two big drops hurt, but that one at the pylon would
                                      have been pretty miraculous. Should have had the one over the middle.
                                      Sam showed a bit more life this week, but nobody stood out. Too many
                                      overthrows, and passes behind receivers, etc. I'm sure it's not what
                                      the coaching staff was hoping for.

                                      Flutie is an adequate backup. But all QBs need some protection. Hell,
                                      give Bledsoe enough time, and he'll find someone, and get him the
                                      ball. Of course, you need about 8 offensive linemen to give him that
                                      kind of time. LOL!. Fluie did use his legs to buy some time, but
                                      Cassel looked like the rookie that he is.

                                      The guesses?

                                      D. Davis and Mallard stay.
                                      Chapman stays (4 RBs).
                                      WR? Who the heck knows? It didn't clear up at all for me. Childress
                                      was OK on KRs, but didn't really break any.
                                      Fauria will probably get the nod, but I thought Weaver looked pretty
                                      good, except for the one easy drop.
                                      Marquis Hill will stay. He showed enough. Applied pressure, though he
                                      did overrun things a couple times.
                                      Hobbs will stay. Showed quickness on the corner blitzes, though his
                                      pass coverage wasn't the best.

                                      I guess we'll all know what our team looks like tomorrow.

                                      fdb

                                      --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "D Malachi Penney" <kalastos@y...>
                                      wrote:
                                      > I would second this observation. I like Flutie too and am glad he's
                                      > back in the fold for one more year before he retires.
                                      >
                                      > Doug
                                      >

                                      > > It's funny, the anti-Flutie people always come off more rabid than
                                      > the
                                      > > Flutie fans they can't stand. I just like Doug Flutie and I think
                                      > that
                                      > > had his contribution to the team in the late 80s not been ignored
                                      > the
                                      > > team would have fared a lot better during that time. It's not like
                                      > > think he's the greatest QB or he should play instead of Brady but
                                      > ignoring
                                      > > the fact that he was playing with an OL that won't all be with the
                                      > team
                                      > > this season is bullshit.
                                      > >
                                      > > On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, D Malachi Penney wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > > He is one step away from a football god in Canada. I know you
                                      > probably
                                      > > > don't care about that but his rep is based on more than that one
                                      > HM
                                      > > > pass in college.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Doug

                                      > in
                                      > > > college
                                      > > >

                                      > > > To unsubscribe from Zip's New England Patriots Fan Group, send an
                                      > email to:
                                      > > >

                                      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      > > Christopher Robert Woods
                                      > > chris@p...
                                    • Don Diamant
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005

                                        Come on dude, lighten up a little.  BTW – Jermaine Wiggins was top talent and the Skin’s felt David Patten was worth top money in his position…  Don’t believe the fantasy football numbers, they distort the real understanding of football play.  Bottom dwellers in fantasy football can be and often are the real reason for a team’s success.  I’ll take a team player over a fantasy football star any day.

                                        Don