Re: [patriotzip] Kirwan souinds off on team depth

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5 11:21 AM
      ***** All that you needed was this one sentence, Randy: "So my point is not to have a key backup at one or 9 positions but to have acceptable back-up depth at all the positions."

      ***** That is the essense of "Da Plan". That is the end result of our cap management strategy. Depth at all positions requires the greatest possible balance of salaries. That's what we do. Keep the number of high cap contracts to a minimum, allowing them at only the absolutely vital positions. Those positions would be the ones which are the most difficult to "help" on the field; those which are most frequently critical to the success of a play, and for which it is most difficult to "hide a weakness." Clearly, the QB position is the most obvious example of all 3 of those criteria.

      ***** But I would add that the single most important quality to have among most players on the team is intelligence. It is the ability of the players to understand and execute the changes necessary to "cover weaknesses" that makes it all work. No player in the NFL is without a fairly high degree of physical ability. Given that, it is the ability to read and react, and the ability to absorb the concepts of the game that determine success or failure. When a team's depth includes players with that attribute, it is always going to mbe difficult to beat.

      George
       R.I.P. Ostend