I had a feeling about this...

  • Christopher Robert Woods
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 12, 2005
      From Rotoworld:

      The News
      David Terrell has impressed coach Bill Belichick all offseason.
      Our Take
      He could play a bigger role in the Patriots offense than most anticipate.
      "I think football is really important to him. And I think he takes a lot
      of pride in what he does, and I have a lot respect for that," Belichick
      said. Terrell looks likely to start the season as the team's third
      receiver.

      =================
      Christopher Robert Woods
      chris@...

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 12, 2005

          Yeah, while that is all good… I can’t help but think that the Seymour hold out and Harrison ’s attitude doesn’t have something to do with the exorbitant contract that Tom Brady received.  I now see Brady as a cancer on the team.  Unfortunately we don’t have any good prospects for quarterback for the short term.  But, mark my words, Brady’s deal means he has less than 5 years left with this team…  I think it also means that our amazing winning ways are coming to a close soon, maybe one more year.  In a bizarre sort of way that is good news for me as the bandwagonner’s depart ways with their season tickets I will see mine that much sooner.  I’m a Pats fan good or bad.

          Don

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 12, 2005
            Even if you are correct (which I'm not so sure you are), if the team
            and TB had not reached a deal, he may have been gone in 2 years, not
            5. Pick your poison. I think the attitude on this team would have
            suffered more if they had not signed him.

            I think they'll work something out with Seymour. But if they don't,
            we'll survive. The simple statement is; Seymour is an excellent
            player, but he's simply not as vital to the team's success as Brady
            is. I also don't think Brady's contract is exhorbitant. He makes less
            than Manning, and less than Vick. Though he may not have the numbers,
            he's arguably more effective at the position than Manning. And Vick?
            Not even close. I think the deal is good all the way around.

            Brady won't be a cancer because he's "one of the guys". Bledsoe was
            not. He alienated some team mates after his big contract. Brady
            doesn't have that problem.

            Anyone else have an opinion?

            fdb

          • tracy00214
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 12, 2005
              --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Northcutt" <frank.dana@c...>
              wrote:
              > Even if you are correct (which I'm not so sure you are), if the team
              > and TB had not reached a deal, he may have been gone in 2 years, not
              > 5. Pick your poison. I think the attitude on this team would have
              > suffered more if they had not signed him.
              >
              > I think they'll work something out with Seymour. But if they don't,
              > we'll survive. The simple statement is; Seymour is an excellent
              > player, but he's simply not as vital to the team's success as Brady
              > is. I also don't think Brady's contract is exhorbitant. He makes less
              > than Manning, and less than Vick. Though he may not have the numbers,
              > he's arguably more effective at the position than Manning. And Vick?
              > Not even close. I think the deal is good all the way around.
              >
              > Brady won't be a cancer because he's "one of the guys". Bledsoe was
              > not. He alienated some team mates after his big contract. Brady
              > doesn't have that problem.
              >
              > Anyone else have an opinion?
              > Brady a cancer on the team?! Pats fan good or bad?! I think your on
              the wrong message board, your probably looking for colts fever.com. If
              brady would not have taken a little more money(and compared to other
              qbs and teams that would have gave him the keys to their cities and
              their firstborn)he isnt making that much, and i think he would have
              lost some respect from other players and fans for being so stupid. he
              is not being greedy because he could have got alot more, if not from
              new england than every other team except the colts and eagles. i dont
              personally think the brady money issue is seymour's or harrisons
              problem. seymour doesnt have that much longer to play, and those super
              bowl rings have went to his and harrisons heads and they want money.
              as simple as that. as much as i love these 2 guys its a shame to see
              them get greedy like that, and i think we all know the way bb will
              handle that, so they are just shooting themselves in the foot. oh,
              they'll get more money somewhere else, just no more superbowls.

            • Steve Basile
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 12, 2005
                On 6/12/05 6:41 PM, "Frank Northcutt" <frank.dana@...> wrote:

                > Even if you are correct (which I'm not so sure you are), if the team
                > and TB had not reached a deal, he may have been gone in 2 years, not
                > 5. Pick your poison. I think the attitude on this team would have
                > suffered more if they had not signed him.
                >
                > I think they'll work something out with Seymour. But if they don't,
                > we'll survive. The simple statement is; Seymour is an excellent
                > player, but he's simply not as vital to the team's success as Brady
                > is. I also don't think Brady's contract is exhorbitant. He makes less
                > than Manning, and less than Vick. Though he may not have the numbers,
                > he's arguably more effective at the position than Manning. And Vick?
                > Not even close. I think the deal is good all the way around.
                >
                > Brady won't be a cancer because he's "one of the guys". Bledsoe was
                > not. He alienated some team mates after his big contract. Brady
                > doesn't have that problem.
                >
                > Anyone else have an opinion?
                >
                > fdb
                >
                > --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "jeepndd" <jeepndd@v...> wrote:
                >> Yeah, while that is all good. I can't help but think that the
                > Seymour hold
                >> out and Harrison's attitude doesn't have something to do with the
                > exorbitant
                >> contract that Tom Brady received. I now see Brady as a cancer on
                > the team.
                >> Unfortunately we don't have any good prospects for quarterback for
                > the short
                >> term. But, mark my words, Brady's deal means he has less than 5
                > years left
                >> with this team. I think it also means that our amazing winning ways are
                >> coming to a close soon, maybe one more year. In a bizarre sort of
                > way that
                >> is good news for me as the bandwagonner's depart ways with their season
                >> tickets I will see mine that much sooner. I'm a Pats fan good or bad.
                >>

                >> Don
                >>
                >> _____

                What sort of deal did Tom get? I missed it. No matter (almost) what he
                got, the possibility of keeping him for 5 years is a good thing, and all we
                can ask for at this point. Hell, there are players under 5 year contracts
                or extensions who don't last 2 seasons. I can't imagine the alternative.
                Rohan? Damon? Doug? Klecko? <grin> I have a hard time seeing him as any
                sort of a cancer, or as a holdout. I'm blinded by the big smile and the
                glare off the three rings.

                Baze

                --
                Steve Basile
                Manager

                --
                Basile.
                Activist. Irritant. Optimist.

                "J'ai seul la clef de cette parade sauvage."
                --Arthur Rimbaud (1854-1891)
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 12, 2005
                  ***** Brady is a cancer? What the hell have you been drinking, Don?

                  ***** But don't fret. Even if he is, they showed some video of Larry Izzo playing QB in mini-camp. We'll be fine without the cancer!

                  George

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 13, 2005
                    I flat out disagree with the origninal post.  I do not view Brady as a Cancer or detriment in any fashion and that includes his contract.  Brady didn't hold out or miss a single off-season workout opportunity.  He's been a consumate team player and his work behind the center has been a part of whta makes this team successful.  I think he rides out this contractuntil one or two years remain and then emaluates with the team where it goes next.

                    The trouble with winning (and bring it all on please!) is thta the value of players on inning teams is increased both internally and to the other 31 teams.  When the internal values all try to rise together the Salary cap must hold them down.  In these times the team has to evaluate which components they can afford to risk losing and which pieces must be kept at costs higher than original.  Many Pats players are underpaid for the value they present on an open market.  THat's why the Front Office must attempt to prevent their being on a free market.

                    Richard Seymour is our best DL and an excellent DL at that.  Ty Warren and Vince Wilfork are both very good lineman and still improving.  I don't yet think they show quite the potential of Seymour but they are very good.  As Seymour escalates so will they and there are simply only so many dollars for each position.  Seymour likely deserves a bigger cotnract, there is no doubt he'd make it on another team.  That is true of Tom Brady as well - that is true for Tedy Bruschi, Willie McGinest, David Givens, Deion Branch, Corey Dillon...

                    We are so deep because we have managed a high quality talent at medium dollar values thus having great depth in proportion to the league.

                    Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 7:41 PM
                    Subject: [patriotzip] Re: I had a feeling about this...

                    Even if you are correct (which I'm not so sure you are), if the team
                    and TB had not reached a deal, he may have been gone in 2 years, not
                    5. Pick your poison. I think the attitude on this team would have
                    suffered more if they had not signed him.

                    I think they'll work something out with Seymour. But if they don't,
                    we'll survive. The simple statement is; Seymour is an excellent
                    player, but he's simply not as vital to the team's success as Brady
                    is. I also don't think Brady's contract is exhorbitant. He makes less
                    than Manning, and less than Vick. Though he may not have the numbers,
                    he's arguably more effective at the position than Manning. And Vick?
                    Not even close. I think the deal is good all the way around.

                    Brady won't be a cancer because he's "one of the guys". Bledsoe was
                    not. He alienated some team mates after his big contract. Brady
                    doesn't have that problem.

                    Anyone else have an opinion?

                    fdb

                    --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "jeepndd" <jeepndd@v...> wrote:
                    > Yeah, while that is all good. I can't help but think that the
                    Seymour hold
                    > out and Harrison's attitude doesn't have something to do with the
                    exorbitant
                    > contract that Tom Brady received.  I now see Brady as a cancer on
                    the team.
                    > Unfortunately we don't have any good prospects for quarterback for
                    the short
                    > term.  But, mark my words, Brady's deal means he has less than 5
                    years left
                    > with this team.  I think it also means that our amazing winning ways are
                    > coming to a close soon, maybe one more year.  In a bizarre sort of
                    way that
                    > is good news for me as the bandwagonner's depart ways with their season
                    > tickets I will see mine that much sooner.  I'm a Pats fan good or bad.
                    >

                    > Don
                    >

                    >   _____

                  • jeepndd
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 13, 2005

                      I’m not saying Brady is trying to be subversive.  But look at this quote;

                      In terms of cap numbers, Vick's is $7.99 million this year, Brady's is $8.429 million and Manning's is $8.431 million.”  - http://cbs.sportsline.com/print/nfl/story/8466188

                      While not intentional, it appears, given the grumblings we’ve seen from a few players and not just a single malcontent that this is weighing on them.  And I don’t think it’s that surprising.  Tom Brady received a contract that put him in the top three in terms of salary for his position in the NFL.  Tom Brady, for all his accomplishments, does not put up the gaudy numbers of a Michael Vick or a Peyton Manning.  Now Brady is a great QB and his numbers would be higher if he wasn’t a team guy but he didn’t take a hit on salary to stay on the team.  He could have taken less and still made more money than most of us will ever dream of and certainly enough to guarantee a comfortable lifestyle for himself and generations of his own.

                      Now I won’t argue Harrison ’s position, I kind of understand it, but it is what it is.  But, Seymour ’s position?  I suspect he is looking at the fact that he is arguably the number one in his position in the NFL and his salary isn’t even in the top ten for his position.  The team could have made Tom Brady finish out his contract and then renegotiated but they didn’t take the chances that gamble would have presented.  What about Seymour ?  Don’t they value him?  This is a three time pro-bowler who hasn’t seen his last pro-bowl.  Oh, and Seymour is only entering his sixth NFL season so he’s not exactly ready to be put out to pasture yet either.  Why isn’t Seymour worth even top 5 numbers?

                      So while Tom Brady may be an upstanding almost team guy his contract negotiation was hardly a take one for the team deal.  Many on this Patriots team have done what Tom hasn’t, taken a contract for the team so that this team can keep their winning ways.

                      I don’t expect anyone to agree with me, this is my opinion that is all.  I would hope however that you at least consider the position arguable.

                      Don

                      Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 7:41 PM

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 13, 2005
                        Your position has merit in some aspects.  I don't disparage you for having it though I still don't agree with it.  You cited one year for the cap numbers of Tom, Vick and Manning.  Do the save for every year and you'll get a much more clear image that tom took a deal entirely friendly to the team and established to ensure he could remain with the team.

                        Seymour is without argument worth more than what he is receiving.  I am uncertain, as presumedly are you, what level of contract negotiations are in progress.  I know he stayed out of mini-camp and allegedly for contract issues.  Beyond that I have nothing to help me understand the progress.

                        The facts are that a team has to be undert the salary cap and the more quality players involved the more challenging.

                        There is no doubt that Tom was made a wealthy man.  There is little doubt in my mind that his role on this team is the most vital.  Seymour has lousy numbers but that doesn't change my awareness that he is deserving of consideration as the best DL in all of football.  Numbers only tell part of a story and can frequently be used to tell a variety of tales depending on how they are displayed.  Tom's sacks are low - is it because of a great offensive line or his very high level of pocket awareness and pocket mobility?  Seymour's sacks are low, is it because teams overload protection on him?  Is it the system in which he stays to his job and makes our teamt he Champions?

                        I've been a season ticket holder much longer than this team has been talented.  I welcome the band wagons and the excitement of winning because while I"m loyal either way, I can tell you just how much more fun comes from winning football and hoisting Lombardi Trophies.  I also like the entire class our ogranaization has risen to achieve.  Days of shame are infrequent and days of pride on and off the field are high.

                        Sure I would have liked Tom to take an even better deal but I don't expect him or any player to be so extreme though I am thankful for the Tedy Bruschi and Bobby Hamilton's of the world whom do have this view and willingess.  They are the largest part of why we can be successful and they are reaping the rewards of that success in ways beyond money.  (Yeah, I know Bobby's gone but he was that kind of guy)

                        Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 7:41 PM

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 13, 2005
                          --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "jeepndd" <jeepndd@v...> wrote:

                          << I don't expect anyone to agree with me, this is my opinion that is
                          all. I would hope however that you at least consider the position
                          arguable. >>

                          Difference of opinion and argument (in the classical sense of the
                          word) keeps this board vital. How boring if we all agreed on everything!

                          And who knows, maybe someone does agree with you. ;-)

                          fdb
                        • Ed Bryant

                            Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 7:41 PM

                              Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 7:41 PM

                                Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 7:41 PM

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 13, 2005
                                  ***** All of what you say is worth the read, Randy. But the key sentence here, for all Patriots fans, is your last one. "We are so deep because we have managed a high quality talent at medium dollar values thus having great depth in proportion to the league."

                                  ***** The formula is clear. We have a brilliant QB at the controls of the offense; a very few very highly paid "stars" in other key positions; a handful of outstanding veterans who are taking less money to satisfy their hunger for a ring; and the rest of our team filled with solid, mid-level players, at those medium dollars. All of that is blended by BB and a significant carry over of his staff into a championship team.

                                  ***** There will be turnover each and every year, as some players decide that, with at least one ring on their hand, they choose to go for the bigger bucks available elsewhere. I truly believe that they will be replaced without destroying our chances for another Lombardi. They may be replaced by an outstanding draft pick, as Damien Woody and Ted Washington were; by an expensive, but less than top dollar FA, as Lawyer Milloy was; or by a relative unknown from our backups or practice squad, as has happened in our OL.

                                  ***** There are great players in this league. Every team must have at least a few of them to succeed. But there are enough sources from which to acquire, or develop, such players to make very, very few of them irreplaceable. (Yes, Brady may be one, on short notice, at least.) As long as the Patriots manage to lose no more than a couple of their outstanding players per season, their success will continue, because the rest of the formula remains in place.

                                  ***** So, if Seymour and Harrison are ready to make the move to the greener pastures of FA in a year or two, so be it. I hope that doesn't happen. But, if it isn't them, it's sure to be somebody else. There will always be players who believe that they require "X+ million", vs the "X million" that the Patriots can pay them to keep the team talent balanced. That's just life. Just as it is a fact of life that there will continue to be replacements for every one of them from one of the sources noted above. Those replacements need only give us what we need for at least a couple of seasons. Then, if they choose to go for the gold, they too, will be replaced. They'll go with my thanks for their contributions, as Ty Law has gone. But they are not "The New England Patriots", any more than FDR, Ike, JFK, or Reagan were "America". The entity goes on when the individual leaders fade. I'm a fan of the Patriots, and the players who contribute to their success, one game at a time.

                                  George

                                  Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 7:41 PM

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 13, 2005
                                    ***** Don, the difference between Brady and Seymour is that Brady runs the offense, and is the only player at that critical position on the field for every play from scrimmage. Seymour, as good as he is, is just one of 3 or 4 DL's for any given play, and not even on the field for every defensive play. Others around Seymour can "take up the slack" when he's out - whether that's for one play, or the rest of our season. That can't be said for Brady.

                                    ***** That said, I do believe that Brady's contract is outrageous, in real terms. But he is the only player on the team that is not immediately replaceable. He's taking most, thought not all,  of what that buys him. I don't consider him a "hero", because you are correct in saying that he could have taken less. However, I am grateful that he at least eschewed going for all that he could have demanded.

                                    ***** I believe, as I've said before, that BB would find a way to win without Brady. But it would likely require a very significant change in offensive strategy and tactics. Those changes would likely require significant changes in personnel, and, possibly even coaches. We would, at the very least, "skip a beat" or two if we lost Brady. I don't believe that to be the case with Seymour, or any other player on this team.

                                    George

                                    Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 7:41 PM

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 13, 2005

                                      That is exactly what I like about this list, it’s never a rehash of a seventies SNL Weekend Update episode. ;)

                                      Don

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 14, 2005
                                        I'm fairly certain you are incorrect in this assumption Ed.  I have it on second hand (barely) authority that Bobby pleaded with the Pats to make him any offer including a minimum tender offer.  The Patriots had no contract offer for him at all and despite pushing from Big Ted, Hamilton gave the Pats every last chance to make *ANY* offer to him before signing with the Raiders.  My source whom heard it first hand is on this list...

                                        Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 7:41 PM

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 15, 2005
                                          Well, I'm not having any luck backtracking to the old contract negotiations, but google has convinced me that Bobby Hamiton has signed yet again with the Raiders, this contract being signed in May 0f 2005.  Just last week, Zeron Flemister and Kevin Kasper found jobs.  It wasn't so long ago you didn't play in the NFL after being released by New England!  It's nice to have our current problems.

                                          Do you suppose any future SB ring would be big enough for a big print warning:  The Surgeon General has determined that winning the Super Bowl causes paternity!
                                          I base this on the saying "Victory has a thousand fathers, defeat is an orphan."  The Surgeon General part was inspired by the Brady cancer hypothesis which fertilized our lives last week.

                                          Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 7:41 PM