Let The Speculation Begin!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2005
      ***** So here are a couple of conclusion I have prematurely leaped to from what I read of today's first day of mini-camp.

      1. Mankins will definitely be given a shot to come out of the gate as our starting RG. Perrillo's report at Patriots.com - "While Belichick stressed not to read too much into any personnel groupings in terms of the depth chart, it was interesting to see rookie first-round pick Logan Mankins lining up between Matt Light and Dan Koppen at left guard." I have told everyone who's asked that I expect Mankins to be starting by mid-season. May be sooner, if he shows BB that he can handle it. Why not? Koppen stated as a rookie at a much tougher position.

      2. Much more speculative is my thought about the LB rotation. I'm thinking that we may see a 3rd down group of Colvin and McGinest outside, with Vrabel and Brown inside. I base that on this report from Perrillo - "With Johnson on the sidelines, the “first” group had Monty Beisel and Chad Brown inside with Willie McGinest and Mike Vrabel outside. As the drills continued, Vrabel moved inside occasionally. Belichick said mini-camp is an opportunity to move a lot of players around into different situations, which gives the team flexibility and helps to create depth. In Vrabel’s case, the coach pointed out that he saw time inside during last year’s Super Bowl and his size and versatility make him a suitable candidate for such a move." But, of course the options at LB are almost limitless. Still, that foursome would give DC's, not to mention OL's, absolute fits trying to decide who was coming on a blitz. All 4 of those guys have outstanding pass rush capability. No way you could focus on any one, or even 2 of them as the guys to block.

      George
       R.I.P. Ostend