Some Players sure make it hard to be a fan

  • rogue35lk
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7 7:08 AM
      I can't belive a multimillionare like Portis is trying to stiff a
      guy out of $20,000. He probably drops that at the local stip club
      on an average weekend.

      Just another example of a spoiled athlete that thinks he makes the
      rules in life because he can run a 4.3 40 yd dash.

      From ESPN.com

      Portis agrees to pay Ohalete $18K

      Just one day shy of going to court to settle their digital dispute,
      the numbers nuttiness between former Washington Redskins teammates
      has been resolved.

      Redskins tailback Clinton Portis on Monday agreed to pay former
      Washington safety Ifeanyi Ohalete $18,000 of the $20,000 that the
      latter claimed he was owed for giving uniform No. 26 to Portis a
      year ago. The settlement brought the tab in the case, not including
      attorneys fees, to $38,000.

      "I really wasn't looking for vindication. I just wanted to get this
      thing over with," Ohalete told The Associated Press. "I did my half
      and I just wanted what was mine in return.

      "It worked out better for me. I didn't want to miss practice," he
      said.

      According to the agreement between the players, Portis had agreed to
      pay Ohalete $40,000 for the uniform number and had already shelled
      out $20,000. The remaining $20,000 was in question until Monday,
      with the players scheduled for a Tuesday session in a Maryland
      courtroom.

      John Steren, the attorney for Ohalete, who is now with the Arizona
      Cardinals, confirmed the settlement. He said he received a call on
      Monday morning from Portis' lawyer, David Donovan, and that the
      matter was settled amicably and expeditiously. The settlement did
      not include a confidentiality clause.

      "It took just a matter of hours and most of that time was spent
      trying to reach our clients," Steren said. "I think both players are
      glad to put this behind them. They can get on with their business
      now. I think they've got bigger things to move on to."

      Athletes' attachments to certain jersey numbers is ubiquitous on all
      levels, leading to spats when ordering uniforms for church league
      softball and deep-pocketed deals between marquee pros.

      Eli Manning, for example, had to pay for punter Jeff Feagles' family
      vacation to Florida to snag the preferred No. 10 after the New York
      Giants drafted Manning with the No. 1 overall pick in 2004. Feagles
      also got a new outdoor kitchen in his home from Plaxico Burress when
      he gave Burress his No. 17 after the wide receiver signed with New
      York.

      When Portis signed with the Redskins last year, he immediately honed
      in on No. 26, which he wore for two seasons with the Denver Broncos.
      However, the number already belonged to Ohalete, who didn't want to
      give it up. Protracted negotiations led to a contract signed by
      Portis, Ohalete and witness Brad Berlin, the Redskins equipment
      manager.

      "The document is being drawn on June 4, 2004, to verify the
      agreement between Clinton Portis and Ifeanyi Ohalete for the sale of
      Ifeanyi's jersey number in exchange for monetary compensation," the
      contract said.

      It called for Portis to pay Ohalete $40,000 in three installments --
      $20,000 immediately, $10,000 by Week 8 of the NFL season and $10,000
      by Christmas Day. Portis paid the $20,000 upfront and got his
      coveted No. 26. Ohalete switched to No. 30.

      But then Ohalete was cut by the Redskins during training camp in
      August and was claimed off waivers by Arizona. Portis apparently
      felt Ohalete's departure voided the rest of the contract, so he
      didn't pay the final two installments.

      "I think he's crazy," the AP quoted Portis as telling Sirius NFL
      Radio after the suit was filed in late December. "How could you
      request something when you got cut, but I would have had the number
      anyway. I think he's crazy, so I guess we'll be in court together."