Tedy Speaks...

  • Karen Cardoza
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22 4:55 AM
      Not that there is anything earth shattering here, but Tedy's boycott of the media appears to be over...

      Bruschi weighs options
      By Michael Felger
      Sunday, May 22, 2005

      Tedy Bruschi yesterday said he has yet to decide whether he will return to the NFL this season, or ever again.
           Speaking publicly on his future for the first time since suffering a mild stroke Feb. 16 and reportedly undergoing a procedure to repair a hole in his heart in March, Bruschi said it's a family decision that will be made in due time.
           ``I'm doing fine. I'm doing great,'' Bruschi said from Sandwich, where he was an honorary starter for a charity bike race. ``The big question is what am I going to do, but that's a big decision, one that I'm not going to rush into. During the season, we take it one game at a time, and now I'm taking it one day at a time.''

         Bruschi said sitting out 2005 and returning in 2006 is a possibility.
           ``It's one of the options,'' he said. ``I have a lot of options, and that's one of them.''
           Bruschi has been a regular at Gillette Stadium the past few weeks, as doctors have cleared him to workout. His doctors also have not categorically ruled out a return to football. Bruschi consults regularly with coach Bill Belichick [news].
           ``We talk all the time about it,'' Bruschi said. ``It's about football, and it's about life. . . . I'm going in (to the stadium) and getting my health back in order, and that's the step I'm taking right now.''
           The Pats won't formally have to announce Bruschi's status until the start of training camp July 27, which is when Bruschi would be placed on an inactive or reserve list.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Just can't get enough Bruschi?
      Visit www.patriotworld.com and
      check out TotallyTedy!
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Message 2 of 3 , May 22 11:24 AM
        ***** Another very possible route is the PUP list. If Tedy isn't going to be ready for the TC grind, but is improving at a rate rapidly enough to make HIM believe that he could play a bit later this year, the PUP would be a good option.

        George

        Message 3 of 3 , May 22 11:46 AM
          Help me out here; I'm trying to think Bruschi through the PUP list.
          Can you put a guy on the PUP list before the 53 guy salary cap date?  I think you can.
          Does a guy count against the 53 while on the PUP list? I think not.
          When a Bruschi comes off the PUP list, do you have to cut over a dollars worth of salary elsewhere to stay under the cap?
          I believe PUP is a mandatory six weeks, with a two week or less window wherein you activate or IR the player.
          Isn't there a rule of thumb, where you can be way over the cap for some future year, but you can never be over this year's cap during this year?  Or is it too complex for a rule of thumb?  I know we had a cap date in March, and our top 51 players still count against that, and I think the next cap date is September 7 or so, and our top 53 have to be counted.  But I'm just shaky as can be on how PUP fits in.