Re: Big LB, big bucks

  • George R
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2005
      ***** I expect that he'll get plenty of breaks with our stable of LBs. Used in that way, he can still be an extremely productive force. Big 'thumbs up' on this signing from me.

      ***** I know that we have 17 guys at LB, but it's the signings of Brown and Beisel from FA, and the selection of Claridge in the Draft, that make me very comfortable with our LB corps now. Even assuming that Tedy sits out a year, which is the scenario I consider most likely, we've got 7 solid vets a promissing rookie to man the critical LB spots: Vrabel, Colvin, Willie, TJ, Brown, Beisel, and TBC are as solid a group of 7 vets as there is in the NFL. And I definitely expect Claridge to develop into a very solid ILB over the next couple of years.

      ***** I honestly believe that we are in position for our best season yet. The only position that has a potential for serious trouble is, as always, QB. Everywhere else, I think we have enough talent in the backups to remain strong throughout the season, despite the likelihood of a few games missed here and there by starters. We have enough flexibility in our offense to use the RB, WR, and/or TE position(s) to attack any defense, or work around any injury other than QB. Even there, I don't think it would be hopeless if Brady went down for a game or two. As long as Dillon and the TEs are healthy, we could be effective with a short and safe,
      grind-it-out type of offense for a couple of games with Redman at QB.

      ***** Defensively, I don't think there's a weak area at all. I'm very happy with the mix of experience and youth at all 3 areas, DL, LB, and DB.

      ***** There has, of course, been a lot of change to both our roster and our coaching staff. That, not the actual level of talent on the team, is the biggest challenge BB will face this year. The biggest question to be answered is how quickly he can make the entire machine fire it's cylinders in the right order. It's going to be an extremely challenging start to the season for the coaching staff. A lot of new pieces, and very challenging first few weeks. If we get through that in good shape, we will be well on our way to the three-peat!

      George

      PatsSteve1@... wrote:
      Hey Guys
      Pats sign LB Chad Brown 6-2, 245 13 year vet for two years and 4 mil. One and
      half mil this season with playing time incentive that can take him to 2 mil.
      Snippet by Clayton I saw says he can play inside and outside. But most of the
      time I've seen him play it's at OLB and pass rushing. I know BB praise him
      greatly when we played the Seahawks last year.

      * Supposedly the Pats have also been talking to Anthony Simmons and Warrick Holdman, 2 other LB's. Don't know if that'll continue with Brown signed, but the Pats now have 17 LB's on the roster:

      Ted Johnson, Bruschi, Vrabel, Izzo, Colvin, McGinest, Banta-Cain, Alexander, Chatham, Steen, Klecko, Davis, Beisel, Mallard, Chad Brown, Claridge, Torrey

      * It should be an interesting camp.

      . A Cecil kind of guy, smart, experienced, and talented. .

      * an opposites attrack kind thing.

      later "A team that doesn't stop" Bama

      Steve - who's next?

      -------------- Original message from Richard Oljey : --------------

      > Hey Guys
      > Pats sign LB Chad Brown 6-2, 245 13 year vet for two years and 4 mil. One and
      > half mil this season with playing time incentive that can take him to 2 mil.
      > Snippet by Clayton I saw says he can play inside and outside. But most of the
      > time I've seen him play it's at OLB and pass rushing. I know BB praise him
      > greatly when we played the Seahawks last year.
      > Whoooee, 4 mil over two year for a 34 year old LB? As George would say "in
      > Bill we trust". Chad made 3 pro bowls in his career. An team player and locker
      > room leader. Been hurt a lot lately. If he can stay healthy (where have we heard
      > that before) he will be a valuable asset. A Cecil kind of guy, smart,
      > experienced, and talented. .
      > later "A team that
      > doesn't stop" Bama

      Discover Yahoo!