Re: [patriotzip] Crazy, Mixed-Up Kids

  • Ed Bryant
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2005
      The NFL has a tradition of avoiding Saturday until the college football season "ends."  This was easy enough to do when they stopped playing the Saturday after Thanksgiving, there were no Carquest Fargo Bowls, no Division 1AA and 2 and 3 playoff tournaments, and the January 1 Bowls, of which there were four, were played on January 1, not on several days from Jan 1-4 (of which there are now five, ALL of which feature Tostitos!).
      For this round of negotiations, Paulie Tags is not pressing for Saturday dates.
      When I was a kid, and there were two games on Sunday, NFL on CBS and AFL on ABC, I loved those Saturday games from LA and SF in December.

      George R <patsfangr@...> wrote:

      ***** The NFL is working on the television packages, and considering some options that I don't like. As it stands, FOX is set to keep all NFC Sunday games; and CBS is set to keep all AFC Sunday games. The Sunday night and Monday night packages are up for grabs, with several options being considered. All of that is fine with me, however it comes out.

      ***** What is not fine with me is the consideration of adding more Thursday night games, and even some Saturday night games. I don't like to see the preparation routine of my team screwed up. Monday night is bad enough. But at least it only causes a deviation of one day. The same could be said, of course, about Saturday night games. But Thursday night games absolutely suck, IMO. Such a schedule disruption is totally unfair to the teams involved.

      ***** I'd like to see that opening game as a Saturday night, rather than a Thursday. It would give the teams a nearly normal transition from pre-season to regular season, and it would certainly be easier on the fans - especially when the game is on the East Coast (as we expect it to be *every* year from now on!). :-)

      ***** I'm totally objective on this one. Located out here on the Best Coast, a game starting at 5:00 or 6:00 is fine with me. But for fans who have to go to work on Friday, it's a challenge to attend, or even, for some, to watch a game that forces them to lose at least 2 hours of sleep.

      ***** IMO, for the benefit of both teams and fans, NFL games should be restricted to Saturday nights, Sundays, and Monday nights. The game is tough enough without forcing teams to play with only 4 days to physically recover, and to prepare effectively for another game.

      George
      ** New England Patriots -
        Team of the Century! **

      Do you Yahoo!?