Re: [patriotzip] Re: Ice Bowl 2?

  • George R
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 24, 2005
      ***** It will be interesting to see if such issues arise in Detroit next year.

      George

      Frank Northcutt <frank.dana@...> wrote:

      The only issue I have with a SB in a northern climate isn't the
      players on the field, or fans sitting in the stands. Football should
      be played outdoors, in the weather, not in a dome. By rights, there
      should be SBs in NY and Foxboro and Green Bay and Chicago. But, it's
      getting to and from the city, and to and from the stadium in bad
      weather; fans, players, the press, employees, etc. An awful lot of
      people descend on the city, and have to move around to all the events
      during those two weeks. You have to consider parking, mass transit, etc.
      Detroit may be a good test case, if there happens to be a lot of snow
      during that period.

      fdb

      --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "RandyZ.  Pierce" <alaric02@s...>
      wrote:
      >     On the question of should football occur where weather can be a
      factor I would say unequivocably yes.  It is ismply part of the game
      as evidenced by it's impact on absolutely every single other game in
      the league.  A dome has weather...gernally ideal.  A dome has
      conditions...turf of varying types.  Why should a football team based
      in heat have 'the edge' in the marquee game?  Why should a cold
      weather team always have the advantage?  Advantages, if they myust
      exist on any level, should be either earned or equally random.

      > Not every city can host a Sueprbowl as Jacksonville seemingly
      illustrated.  So if it is an 'earned' by play format that would cause
      a problem.  As such I'm in favor of our best efforts at random in
      which any location capable of hosting based on a clear list of
      requirements (amenities for a host city) may apply and expect an
      assignment.  I say this entirely as a fan and confident that any
      stadium in this league would sell out with fans no matter what the
      weather.  If pomp and circumstance folks were 'forced' to miss out
      because of the weather, I'd shed no tears.

      > So what abuot the economics?  I haven't appreciated or approved of
      many league decisions and directions.  I like that it is the most
      popular sport in the country and appreciate the benefits I receive as
      a fan from this.  I do not believe Ihave any real idea just how
      lucrative a process the Superbowl 'location' provides the legue.  I
      suspect the TV rights are worth mroe than all of that and those same
      crews get themselves to all weather games.  Run a league shindig at
      some 'premier' location and leave the Superbowl to be about football
      and the significant money it provides.  Let the luxury boxes sell to
      the big bidders whom don't want to handle the conditions.

      > Go Pats!
      > Zip
      > Who suspects Foxboro is too far out from the amenities for serious
      consideration :(

      ** New England Patriots -
        Team of the Century! **

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Make Yahoo! your home page

    • George R
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 24, 2005
        Bob George <bobg@...> wrote:

        George, you ought to like this plan, you're 40 miles from one venue, 80 from
        another, and 400 from still another!

        Bob G

        ***** Yup. So I vote for rotating ONLY between those 3 venues! :-)

        George
        ** New England Patriots -
          Team of the Century! **

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • rogue35lk
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 24, 2005
          --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, George R <patsfangr@y...> wrote:

          > ***** Looks like cold/inclement weather Super Bowls are on the
          way. The owners awarded the 2010 Super Bowl to New York. It was, in
          large part, fulfillment of a promise from Tags in the aftermath of
          9/11.

          I'd be willing to bet this is based on the new dome they are trying
          to build for the Jets. Without the dome, I don't see any way this
          happens.
        • Buh Buh KEn
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 24, 2005
            I depends on the 75,000 seat, retractable roof stadium to be built on the
            west side of manhatten. The owners of the land still have not made a
            decision on the Jets bid for the land. If it all goes through the stadium
            will be ready for the 2009 season, meaning the NFL will waive the
            requirement that a team must complete 2 seasons at a venue before being aple
            to host a Super Bowl.

            That is all I have heard about it so far. As far as Rudd I found it
            interesting that as we started discussing it, fanball came out with their
            first mock draft today which had us selecting Rudd with the #32 pick. I
            just don't see us picking him that high.

            Buh Buh KEn