Re: Curran's Bruschi article

  • Doug Penney
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17, 2005
      I just want the man to be okay.

      Doug

      > Tedy Bruschi's situation is like the elephant in the middle of the
      room. It's getting harder to ignore.

      > What has happened, when it happened and who it happened to have
      combined to make this an incredibly delicate story to pursue.

      > Imagine, a 31-year-old husband and father of three sons -- one of
      whom is a newborn -- suffers a stroke. It doesn't matter if this
      happens to Tedy Bruschi or a friend of your third-cousin's tax guy.
      It still gives you pause.

      > Then factor in who Bruschi is -- the most visible player on the
      defense of the three-time Super Bowl champion Patriots. One of the
      most introspective and articulate athletes in the NFL. A self-made
      player whose style is predicated on a willingness to sacrifice his
      body, but also a player whose intelligence and intuitiveness are
      unmatched. A professional athlete who doesn't chase every nickel and
      treats the fans like they spent hard-earned money to watch him play a
      kid's game. A handsome guy with a thousand-watt smile who oozes
      sincerity every time he opens his mouth.

      > Then add in when the stroke occurred. Three days after he returned
      from his first Pro Bowl. Ten days after the Patriots won the Super
      Bowl when his fourth-quarter interception was one of the game-sealing
      plays. Three weeks after he appeared on the cover of Sports
      Illustrated. He had been one of the five most visible players in
      America's most popular sport for more than a month before he was
      stricken.

      > For two months, the question that's been dangling but left unasked
      is, "What now?"

      > Inevitably, rumors have surfaced. Yesterday morning on AM-790 The
      Score, it was suggested that Bruschi was going to have a procedure to
      repair a hole in his heart. Last night on the NFL Network, defensive
      end Willie McGinest, when asked about Bruschi, said, "I think he had
      a hole in his heart."

      > When called earlier in the day about the alleged heart defect, the
      Patriots explained that they intend to make no comment without being
      contacted by Bruschi and his wife, Heidi, and that they have not been
      contacted. Aside from McGinest, who appeared to offer the information
      by mistake, other teammates of Bruschi were in the dark.

      > So right now, Bruschi himself is the lone official source for his
      condition. And, even though he initially planned to hold a press
      conference days, that's been canceled and he's not interested in
      talking to a media that he felt was invasive in its coverage both
      when he was hospitalized and when he was released.

      > Bruschi let it be known in no uncertain terms that the media best
      back off. Generally, we have, and there have been good reasons for
      that. For one thing, the cause and effects of strokes take time to
      figure out. For another, Bruschi has been accommodating and his
      request for privacy deserves consideration. This is a matter of
      public interest, not public safety, so it's not as if anyone can
      allege there's a "right to know." And finally, who wants to be the
      one to agitate a guy who just had a stroke?

      > But as rumors surface and the business of football -- the NFL Draft
      and free agency -- presses forward, it's becoming harder to stay out
      of the minefield that is Bruschi's situation and still say you are
      effectively doing your job as a reporter.

      > For a month, the status and well-being of Tedy Bruschi the father,
      husband, role model and human being, towered in importance over the
      status of Tedy Bruschi, inside linebacker for the New England
      Patriots. And how Bruschi performs those duties will always be more
      important than how well (or if) he'll be able to knock people down on
      Sundays in the fall and winter.

      > A month ago it wasn't necessary or productive to ask how Bruschi
      was progressing and whether he would play football again. And it
      didn't feel right, either.