Re: [patriotzip] Re: Andruzzi a goner

  • George R
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 2005
      ***** Matt Light was a R2 pick, Chris.

      George

      Christopher Robert Woods <chris@...> wrote:
       Other than Koppen has the team even used a pick on
      an interior lineman?

      ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **

      Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

    • Christopher Robert Woods
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3, 2005
        You missed the key words 'interior lineman'.

        We also used a pick on some dude from Hawaii that was a tackle, and
        everyone loves him.

        On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, George R wrote:

        > ***** Matt Light was a R2 pick, Chris.
        >
        > George
        >
        > Christopher Robert Woods <chris@...> wrote:
        > Other than Koppen has the team even used a pick on
        > an interior lineman?
        >
        > George
        > ** Belichick IS NFL Coach of the Year! **
        > ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

        =================
        Christopher Robert Woods
        chris@...
      • Frank Northcutt
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2005
          I'm sure you're right, it's simply a value judgement. It's amazing how
          unemotional BB and Scott can be about guys like Andruzzi and Brown.
          It's why they are so successful. They know that they can find
          seemingly average players, who want to play, and raise their game with
          good coaching.

          fdb

          --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Robert Woods
          <chris@p...> wrote:

          > I loved our OL and am sad to see Andruzzi go. However I think it was a
          > logical decision or at least a predictable one.
          >
          > It's been well-documented that BB says that he doesn't believe in
          spending
          > R1's on lineman, specifically interior lineman. Knowing BB you can't
          > always take what he says at face value but it certainly has been the
          case
          > since he's been here. Other than Koppen has the team even used a
          pick on
          > an interior lineman? Regardless if he believes that G is a position
          that
          > can be taught and with a serviceable G in Hochstein and the Patriots
          being
          > close to the cap I think they made the right choice in letting him go.
          >
          > So I don't really agree that this is a case of the Patriots being too
          > casual. I believe they set a price and that was that, if Andruzzi got a
          > bigger offer he'd go somewhere else. As calculating as BB is about
          field
          > position and clock management or the draft I believe he has the same
          > approach to free agency. A value was assigned and there was no room for
          > negotiation.
          >
          > I wish Andruzzi well and it will make being a part-time Browns fan (now
          > that Crennel is there) even more fun. Unless their losing helps the
          Pats,
          > of course.
          >
          > On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Frank Northcutt wrote:
          >

          > > Interesting article by Felger today, regarding Andruzzi. Although
          > > thankful for the opportunity afforded him in NE, he was disappointed
          > > that the Pats weren't more aggresive in attempting to resign him. He
          > > claims they didn't talk much, and they didn't offer him much. I'm a
          > > big believer in their philosophy, but perhaps they get a little too
          > > casual in negotiations; trying to treat everyone alike, to a fault. To
          > > me, Andruzzi was a key player, both in the run game and in protecting
          > > TB. But they know a lot more than I do. Maybe it's his age (he'll only
          > > be 30 this year) or questions about his knees. Most likely they have a
          > > financial limit for O-linemen, and that's it.

          > Christopher Robert Woods
          > chris@p...
        • George R
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2005
            ***** Right you are, Sir! Sorry about that!

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2005

              ***** That's what makes it virtually impossible for us "amateur GMs" to anticipate/predict what this team will do in the off-season, Frank. They bring in guys that we know virtually nothing about, in terms of their potential for bigger things. Guys like Hamilton, Vrabel, Fauria, and Andruzzi are all great examples of that. Every one of them played a significant role in our success, yet none of them raised our hopes when the signings were announced.

              ***** BB & Pioli do their homework on players better than anybody in the NFL. That is why they're able to operate so successfully within the Cap. They find guys who have not "earned the right" to the big bucks with their play on other teams, but who will be able to play at the "big bucks" level with us.

              ***** I enjoy trying to guess what will happen, and will continue to do so. But, until I see some repeated failures, I will assume that whatever player(s) BB brings in will perform well for us, no matter what the stuff I've seen or read may lead me to believe. And I will continue to expect that I will not be right about a single player I identify as a "future Patriot." (Total count to date = 1, Seymour!) :-)