Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Wither Goest Though Now, BB?

Expand Messages
  • George R
    ***** So now that we ve traded for Starks, does our priority change for our R1 pick? I think so. When you consider this move, and the reported big bucks offer
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3 8:20 AM
    • 0 Attachment

      ***** So now that we've traded for Starks, does our priority change for our R1 pick? I think so. When you consider this move, and the reported big bucks offer to Derrick Mason, it points to a WR in R1. Who might that be? I think we have to look at other current activity rumored to me going on to get there.

      ***** Word is that the Cowboys are trying to get my man Jarvis Green away from us. I'd hate to see that happen, personally, because I really believe he has a great upside from his already excellent work. But, since the brain trust is apparently talking about it, let's assume that it happens. The key benefit on our end is supposedly a swap of our #32 pick for the #20 that Dallas holds. One mock draft that I saw, coincidentally, has Dallas taking Oklahoma WR, Mark Clayton, with that pick. Nice! In any case, there are several WRs in this year's crop that could fit very nicely for us. Two of my favorites (in addition to Clayton), are Troy Williamson of So Car, and Reggie Brown of Georgia. Both are 6'2", 190+, and very fast.

      ***** Of course, we still have that concern at ILB. But we know that the solution there is not likely to come from a high draft pick, based upon BB's history. I'm sticking with my wild theory of moving Willlie inside, and starting Colvin and Vrabel outside, until something else happens.



      George
      ** Belichick IS NFL Coach of the Year! **
      ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **


      Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
      Yahoo! Netrospective: 100 Moments of the Web
    • Frank Northcutt
      Ed Hartwell is reportedly very much interested in the Pats. That could ease the ILB issue. I think the R1 priority really depends upon what happens with our
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3 9:04 AM
      • 0 Attachment
        Ed Hartwell is reportedly very much interested in the Pats. That could
        ease the ILB issue. I think the R1 priority really depends upon what
        happens with our RFAs. If we lose Givens, I'd agree with you on the
        WR. If he's retained, maybe not. I haven't studied the draft class,
        but we do have a pretty good hole in the O-line now, and LB could be
        an issue. But you're probably right about asking a rookie to step in
        at LB with this complex a system.

        fdb

        --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, George R <patsfangr@y...> wrote:
        >
        >
        > ***** So now that we've traded for Starks, does our priority change
        for our R1 pick? I think so. When you consider this move, and the
        reported big bucks offer to Derrick Mason, it points to a WR in R1.
        Who might that be? I think we have to look at other current activity
        rumored to me going on to get there.
        >
        > ***** Word is that the Cowboys are trying to get my man Jarvis Green
        away from us. I'd hate to see that happen, personally, because I
        really believe he has a great upside from his already excellent work.
        But, since the brain trust is apparently talking about it, let's
        assume that it happens. The key benefit on our end is supposedly a
        swap of our #32 pick for the #20 that Dallas holds. One mock draft
        that I saw, coincidentally, has Dallas taking Oklahoma WR, Mark
        Clayton, with that pick. Nice! In any case, there are several WRs in
        this year's crop that could fit very nicely for us. Two of my
        favorites (in addition to Clayton), are Troy Williamson of So Car, and
        Reggie Brown of Georgia. Both are 6'2", 190+, and very fast.
        >
        > ***** Of course, we still have that concern at ILB. But we know that
        the solution there is not likely to come from a high draft pick, based
        upon BB's history. I'm sticking with my wild theory of moving Willlie
        inside, and starting Colvin and Vrabel outside, until something else
        happens.
        >
        >
        > George
        > ** Belichick IS NFL Coach of the Year! **
        > ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > ---------------------------------
        > Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
        > Yahoo! Netrospective: 100 Moments of the Web
      • Christopher Robert Woods
        ... I think you are taking this too far. I think with Mason the Pats were looking to pick up a dependable veteran to offset the loss of Troy. I highly doubt
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3 11:23 AM
        • 0 Attachment
          On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, George R wrote:

          > When you consider this move, and the reported big bucks offer to Derrick
          > Mason, it points to a WR in R1. Who might that be? I think we have to
          > look at other current activity rumored to me going on to get there.

          I think you are taking this too far. I think with Mason the Pats were
          looking to pick up a dependable veteran to offset the loss of Troy. I
          highly doubt they were ever going to pay him starter money, not with the
          great guys we got in Branch and Givens.

          Isn't that what the Patriots always do during FA? Try to either sign a
          vet in the twilight of his career (Buckley, Harrison, Phifer) at a bargain
          or bring in someone from another team who isn't a starter and give them a
          chance at more playing time (Antowain, Vrabel, Bailey)?

          I wouldn't assume that WR is a first round pick, not even close. I think
          that pick is better spent on LB where we have several dudes who are
          getting up there in years including Willie, TJ and Tedy.

          I look at DB and WR as two of the places where we could use some vet help
          but appear to have some real promising folks for the future. Factor in
          the return of the very exciting-looking Ben Watson and I just don't see
          another 1st rounder going towards a receiver.

          =================
          Christopher Robert Woods
          chris@...
        • George R
          ***** I understand your point, Chris. However, consider these facts. First, Belichick has never drafted LBs high in the draft, despite the fact that most of us
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3 11:54 AM
          • 0 Attachment
            ***** I understand your point, Chris. However, consider these facts. First, Belichick has never drafted LBs high in the draft, despite the fact that most of us perceived a need there annually. He seems to strongly prefer picking up young vets that have demonstrated the kind of play he wants at the NFL level.
             
            ***** Secondly, the word is that we offered Mason more money than he signed for with the Ravens. Definitely in the "starter" range. I suspect that BB wants 3 top quality WRs, or that he believes there's a good chance he'll lose Givens. In either case, it seems to me that the offer to Mason indicates that he wants a high quality WR, which Mason certainly is.
             
            ***** At this point, I'm sticking with my feeling that it will be a WR in R1. However, I totally agree with you on the high expectations for Watson. I think he's going to be an awesome weapon for us. He, Branch, and Givens in the patterns on many plays will be a nightmare for opposing defenses. Now picture adding a Michael Clayton, Troy Williamson, or Reggie Brown to that mix!
             
            George

            Christopher Robert Woods <chris@...> wrote:
            On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, George R wrote:

            > When you consider this move, and the reported big bucks offer to Derrick
            > Mason, it points to a WR in R1. Who might that be? I think we have to
            > look at other current activity rumored to me going on to get there.

            I think you are taking this too far.  I think with Mason the Pats were
            looking to pick up a dependable veteran to offset the loss of Troy.  I
            highly doubt they were ever going to pay him starter money, not with the
            great guys we got in Branch and Givens.

            Isn't that what the Patriots always do during FA?  Try to either sign a
            vet in the twilight of his career (Buckley, Harrison, Phifer) at a bargain
            or bring in someone from another team who isn't a starter and give them a
            chance at more playing time (Antowain, Vrabel, Bailey)?

            I wouldn't assume that WR is a first round pick, not even close.  I think
            that pick is better spent on LB where we have several dudes who are
            getting up there in years including Willie, TJ and Tedy.

            I look at DB and WR as two of the places where we could use some vet help
            but appear to have some real promising folks for the future.  Factor in
            the return of the very exciting-looking Ben Watson and I just don't see
            another 1st rounder going towards a receiver.

            =================
            Christopher Robert Woods
            chris@...




            To unsubscribe from Zip's New England Patriots Fan Group, send an email to:
            patriotzip-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com





            Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
            Yahoo! Netrospective: 100 Moments of the Web

          • John Riendeau
            On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:23:34 -0500 (EST), Christopher Robert Woods ... -- For a day or two, let s just roll around in our heads what we ve just seen. And what
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3 12:00 PM
            • 0 Attachment
              On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:23:34 -0500 (EST), Christopher Robert Woods
              <chris@...> wrote:
              >
              > On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, George R wrote:
              >
              > > When you consider this move, and the reported big bucks offer to Derrick
              > > Mason, it points to a WR in R1. Who might that be? I think we have to
              > > look at other current activity rumored to me going on to get there.
              >
              > I think you are taking this too far. I think with Mason the Pats were
              > looking to pick up a dependable veteran to offset the loss of Troy. I
              > highly doubt they were ever going to pay him starter money, not with the
              > great guys we got in Branch and Givens.
              >
              > Isn't that what the Patriots always do during FA? Try to either sign a
              > vet in the twilight of his career (Buckley, Harrison, Phifer) at a bargain
              > or bring in someone from another team who isn't a starter and give them a
              > chance at more playing time (Antowain, Vrabel, Bailey)?
              >
              > I wouldn't assume that WR is a first round pick, not even close. I think
              > that pick is better spent on LB where we have several dudes who are
              > getting up there in years including Willie, TJ and Tedy.
              >
              > I look at DB and WR as two of the places where we could use some vet help
              > but appear to have some real promising folks for the future. Factor in
              > the return of the very exciting-looking Ben Watson and I just don't see
              > another 1st rounder going towards a receiver.
              >
              > =================
              > Christopher Robert Woods
              > chris@...
              >
              >
              > To unsubscribe from Zip's New England Patriots Fan Group, send an email to:
              > patriotzip-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >
              >
              >
              >
              >


              --
              "For a day or two, let's just roll around in our heads what we've just
              seen. And what we're seeing. This is an unselfish oasis in the middle
              of a me-first sporting desert. Guys sign for less money to stay in New
              England. Offensive players who don't get stats don't bitch. Tom Brady
              includes teammates in his commercials so they can make money too. For
              a day at least, I don't want to know about the future. I just want to
              appreciate the present." - Peter King, Sports Illustrated
            • Joseph Theban
              First, I believe that the Patriots should take a defensive linemen somewhere in the first 4 rounds every year. That said, I think, because of the loss of
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3 5:41 PM
              • 0 Attachment
                First, I believe that the Patriots should take a defensive linemen somewhere in the first 4 rounds every year.
                 
                That said, I think, because of the loss of Bruschi, the number 1 priority is inside linebacker (before, it was corner, in my opinion).  Even before Bruschi's loss, we had zero inside 'backers under age 30 who are legitimately capable of starting (by the way, when Bruschi got shaken up on a play late in Super Bowl 39, it was Izzo who BB sent in).  The only problem is I don't know if any inside 'backers rate as high as pick 32.
                 
                So, now I'm interested in corner for our 1st round pick (unless we plan to move Wilson there) - for depth, if nothing else.  It's a great, deep year for corners, so I'm sure we could get quality at pick 32.  If we move Wilson to corner, then I'd like us to get a safety/safety-corner hybrid at 32.
                 
                BB never picks offensive linemen high, so I'm sure he'll wait again this year.  But we do need interior help there.  I wouldn't mind getting the "road grader" right tackle, too.

                John Riendeau <JRRiendeau@...> wrote:
                On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:23:34 -0500 (EST), Christopher Robert Woods
                <chris@...> wrote:
                >
                > On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, George R wrote:
                >
                > > When you consider this move, and the reported big bucks offer to Derrick
                > > Mason, it points to a WR in R1. Who might that be? I think we have to
                > > look at other current activity rumored to me going on to get there.
                >
                > I think you are taking this too far.  I think with Mason the Pats were
                > looking to pick up a dependable veteran to offset the loss of Troy.  I
                > highly doubt they were ever going to pay him starter money, not with the
                > great guys we got in Branch and Givens.
                >
                > Isn't that what the Patriots always do during FA?  Try to either sign a
                > vet in the twilight of his career (Buckley, Harrison, Phifer) at a bargain
                > or bring in someone from another team who isn't a starter and give them a
                > chance at more playing time (Antowain, Vrabel, Bailey)?
                >
                > I wouldn't assume that WR is a first round pick, not even close.  I think
                > that pick is better spent on LB where we have several dudes who are
                > getting up there in years including Willie, TJ and Tedy.
                >
                > I look at DB and WR as two of the places where we could use some vet help
                > but appear to have some real promising folks for the future.  Factor in
                > the return of the very exciting-looking Ben Watson and I just don't see
                > another 1st rounder going towards a receiver.
                >
                > =================
                > Christopher Robert Woods
                > chris@...
                >
                >
                > To unsubscribe from Zip's New England Patriots Fan Group, send an email to:
                > patriotzip-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >
                >
                >
                >
                >


                --
                "For a day or two, let's just roll around in our heads what we've just
                seen. And what we're seeing. This is an unselfish oasis in the middle
                of a me-first sporting desert. Guys sign for less money to stay in New
                England. Offensive players who don't get stats don't bitch. Tom Brady
                includes teammates in his commercials so they can make money too. For
                a day at least, I don't want to know about the future. I just want to
                appreciate the present."     - Peter King, Sports Illustrated


                To unsubscribe from Zip's New England Patriots Fan Group, send an email to:
                patriotzip-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com




                __________________________________________________
                Do You Yahoo!?
                Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                http://mail.yahoo.com

              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.