Re: Andruzzi a goner

  • Frank Northcutt
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3, 2005
      It's a loss, but not a fatal one. We all were concerned when Woody
      bolted, but we shuffled the deck, and won another SB. BB and Co. will
      fit the right pieces together.

      fdb

      --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "rogue35lk" <levon.knowles@m...> wrote:

      > 4 years at $9 million? I can't imagine the Pats getting a decent
      > replacement for a little more than $2 Mil a year. Seems like a
      > steal.
      >

      > --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Bosch" <rob.bosch@r...>
      > wrote:
      > > Well it looks like the Patriots lost their first free agent to the
      > Cleveland
      > > Browns today. ESPN is reporting that Andruzzi is going to sign a
      > four year,
      > > 9 million dollar contract with the Browns. I'm kind of surprised
      > about this,
      > > as everything I had read led me to believe that Andruzzi wanted to
      > remain a
      > > Patriot. I guess, as the old saying says, money talks.
      > >
      > > Andruzzi has been a warrior for the Pats, and I wish him well with
      > the
      > > Browns. I am very curious to see who the Patriots will come up
      > with to
      > > replace him. I don't think it will be Russ Hochstein. I thought
      > Andruzzi
      > > actually had his best year as a Patriot this past season. He was
      > injury
      > > free, and he didn't get beat in pass protection many times. That
      > was my main
      > > complaint with him in the past, but he seemed to be improved this
      > year.
      > >
      > > So another off-season of change continues. Such is life in the NFL.
      > >
      > > -Rob
    • Frank Northcutt
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3, 2005
        Interesting article by Felger today, regarding Andruzzi. Although
        thankful for the opportunity afforded him in NE, he was disappointed
        that the Pats weren't more aggresive in attempting to resign him. He
        claims they didn't talk much, and they didn't offer him much. I'm a
        big believer in their philosophy, but perhaps they get a little too
        casual in negotiations; trying to treat everyone alike, to a fault. To
        me, Andruzzi was a key player, both in the run game and in protecting
        TB. But they know a lot more than I do. Maybe it's his age (he'll only
        be 30 this year) or questions about his knees. Most likely they have a
        financial limit for O-linemen, and that's it.

        fdb

        --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Northcutt" <frank.dana@c...>
        wrote:

        > It's a loss, but not a fatal one. We all were concerned when Woody
        > bolted, but we shuffled the deck, and won another SB. BB and Co. will
        > fit the right pieces together.
        >
        > fdb
        >
        > --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "rogue35lk" <levon.knowles@m...>
        wrote:

        > > 4 years at $9 million? I can't imagine the Pats getting a decent
        > > replacement for a little more than $2 Mil a year. Seems like a
        > > steal.
        > >

        > > --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Bosch" <rob.bosch@r...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > Well it looks like the Patriots lost their first free agent to the
        > > Cleveland
        > > > Browns today. ESPN is reporting that Andruzzi is going to sign a
        > > four year,
        > > > 9 million dollar contract with the Browns. I'm kind of surprised
        > > about this,
        > > > as everything I had read led me to believe that Andruzzi wanted to
        > > remain a
        > > > Patriot. I guess, as the old saying says, money talks.
        > > >
        > > > Andruzzi has been a warrior for the Pats, and I wish him well with
        > > the
        > > > Browns. I am very curious to see who the Patriots will come up
        > > with to
        > > > replace him. I don't think it will be Russ Hochstein. I thought
        > > Andruzzi
        > > > actually had his best year as a Patriot this past season. He was
        > > injury
        > > > free, and he didn't get beat in pass protection many times. That
        > > was my main
        > > > complaint with him in the past, but he seemed to be improved this
        > > year.
        > > >
        > > > So another off-season of change continues. Such is life in the NFL.
        > > >
        > > > -Rob
      • George R
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2005
          ***** I liked Joe for his off-field personality, and for his on-field work ethic, Frank. But I have to disagree with you on the comment about his pass protection. That, IMO, was a notable weakness in his game. He had at least 2 breakdowns in just about every game. He was a definite liability in pass protectiong, because he simply wasn't quick enough to change directions and angles against competent, and not necessarily outstanding, defensive players.

          George

          wrote:

          > It's a loss, but not a fatal one. We all were concerned when Woody
          > bolted, but we shuffled the deck, and won another SB. BB and Co. will
          > fit the right pieces together.
          >
          > fdb
          >
          > --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "rogue35lk" <levon.knowles@m...>
          wrote:

          > > 4 years at $9 million?  I can't imagine the Pats getting a decent
          > > replacement for a little more than $2 Mil a year.  Seems like a
          > > steal.
          > >

          > > --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Bosch" <rob.bosch@r...>
          > > wrote:
          > > > Well it looks like the Patriots lost their first free agent to the
          > > Cleveland
          > > > Browns today. ESPN is reporting that Andruzzi is going to sign a
          > > four year,
          > > > 9 million dollar contract with the Browns. I'm kind of surprised
          > > about this,
          > > > as everything I had read led me to believe that Andruzzi wanted to
          > > remain a
          > > > Patriot. I guess, as the old saying says, money talks.
          > > >
          > > > Andruzzi has been a warrior for the Pats, and I wish him well with
          > > the
          > > > Browns. I am very curious to see who the Patriots will come up
          > > with to
          > > > replace him. I don't think it will be Russ Hochstein. I thought
          > > Andruzzi
          > > > actually had his best year as a Patriot this past season. He was
          > > injury
          > > > free, and he didn't get beat in pass protection many times. That
          > > was my main
          > > > complaint with him in the past, but he seemed to be improved this
          > > year.
          > > >
          > > > So another off-season of change continues. Such is life in the NFL.
          > > >
          > > > -Rob

          Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

        • Christopher Robert Woods
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2005
            I loved our OL and am sad to see Andruzzi go. However I think it was a
            logical decision or at least a predictable one.

            It's been well-documented that BB says that he doesn't believe in spending
            R1's on lineman, specifically interior lineman. Knowing BB you can't
            always take what he says at face value but it certainly has been the case
            since he's been here. Other than Koppen has the team even used a pick on
            an interior lineman? Regardless if he believes that G is a position that
            can be taught and with a serviceable G in Hochstein and the Patriots being
            close to the cap I think they made the right choice in letting him go.

            So I don't really agree that this is a case of the Patriots being too
            casual. I believe they set a price and that was that, if Andruzzi got a
            bigger offer he'd go somewhere else. As calculating as BB is about field
            position and clock management or the draft I believe he has the same
            approach to free agency. A value was assigned and there was no room for
            negotiation.

            I wish Andruzzi well and it will make being a part-time Browns fan (now
            that Crennel is there) even more fun. Unless their losing helps the Pats,
            of course.

            On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Frank Northcutt wrote:

            > Interesting article by Felger today, regarding Andruzzi. Although
            > thankful for the opportunity afforded him in NE, he was disappointed
            > that the Pats weren't more aggresive in attempting to resign him. He
            > claims they didn't talk much, and they didn't offer him much. I'm a
            > big believer in their philosophy, but perhaps they get a little too
            > casual in negotiations; trying to treat everyone alike, to a fault. To
            > me, Andruzzi was a key player, both in the run game and in protecting
            > TB. But they know a lot more than I do. Maybe it's his age (he'll only
            > be 30 this year) or questions about his knees. Most likely they have a
            > financial limit for O-linemen, and that's it.

            =================
            Christopher Robert Woods
            chris@...
          • George R
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2005
              ***** Matt Light was a R2 pick, Chris.

              George

              Christopher Robert Woods <chris@...> wrote:
               Other than Koppen has the team even used a pick on
              an interior lineman?

              ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3, 2005
                You missed the key words 'interior lineman'.

                We also used a pick on some dude from Hawaii that was a tackle, and
                everyone loves him.

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 3, 2005
                  I'm sure you're right, it's simply a value judgement. It's amazing how
                  unemotional BB and Scott can be about guys like Andruzzi and Brown.
                  It's why they are so successful. They know that they can find
                  seemingly average players, who want to play, and raise their game with
                  good coaching.

                  fdb

                  --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Robert Woods
                  <chris@p...> wrote:

                  > I loved our OL and am sad to see Andruzzi go. However I think it was a
                  > logical decision or at least a predictable one.
                  >
                  > It's been well-documented that BB says that he doesn't believe in
                  spending
                  > R1's on lineman, specifically interior lineman. Knowing BB you can't
                  > always take what he says at face value but it certainly has been the
                  case
                  > since he's been here. Other than Koppen has the team even used a
                  pick on
                  > an interior lineman? Regardless if he believes that G is a position
                  that
                  > can be taught and with a serviceable G in Hochstein and the Patriots
                  being
                  > close to the cap I think they made the right choice in letting him go.
                  >
                  > So I don't really agree that this is a case of the Patriots being too
                  > casual. I believe they set a price and that was that, if Andruzzi got a
                  > bigger offer he'd go somewhere else. As calculating as BB is about
                  field
                  > position and clock management or the draft I believe he has the same
                  > approach to free agency. A value was assigned and there was no room for
                  > negotiation.
                  >
                  > I wish Andruzzi well and it will make being a part-time Browns fan (now
                  > that Crennel is there) even more fun. Unless their losing helps the
                  Pats,
                  > of course.
                  >
                  > On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Frank Northcutt wrote:
                  >

                  > > Interesting article by Felger today, regarding Andruzzi. Although
                  > > thankful for the opportunity afforded him in NE, he was disappointed
                  > > that the Pats weren't more aggresive in attempting to resign him. He
                  > > claims they didn't talk much, and they didn't offer him much. I'm a
                  > > big believer in their philosophy, but perhaps they get a little too
                  > > casual in negotiations; trying to treat everyone alike, to a fault. To
                  > > me, Andruzzi was a key player, both in the run game and in protecting
                  > > TB. But they know a lot more than I do. Maybe it's his age (he'll only
                  > > be 30 this year) or questions about his knees. Most likely they have a
                  > > financial limit for O-linemen, and that's it.

                  > Christopher Robert Woods
                  > chris@p...
                • George R
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 3, 2005
                    ***** Right you are, Sir! Sorry about that!

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 3, 2005

                      ***** That's what makes it virtually impossible for us "amateur GMs" to anticipate/predict what this team will do in the off-season, Frank. They bring in guys that we know virtually nothing about, in terms of their potential for bigger things. Guys like Hamilton, Vrabel, Fauria, and Andruzzi are all great examples of that. Every one of them played a significant role in our success, yet none of them raised our hopes when the signings were announced.

                      ***** BB & Pioli do their homework on players better than anybody in the NFL. That is why they're able to operate so successfully within the Cap. They find guys who have not "earned the right" to the big bucks with their play on other teams, but who will be able to play at the "big bucks" level with us.

                      ***** I enjoy trying to guess what will happen, and will continue to do so. But, until I see some repeated failures, I will assume that whatever player(s) BB brings in will perform well for us, no matter what the stuff I've seen or read may lead me to believe. And I will continue to expect that I will not be right about a single player I identify as a "future Patriot." (Total count to date = 1, Seymour!) :-)