Patriots Day At The Combine

  • George R
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2005

      ***** Today's workouts at the combine will the LBs and CBs, our top 2 priorities (at least in the minds of we ignorant fans) in this year's Draft.

      ***** Fact is, the more I see of this stuff, the less it means. Oh, you may catch the occassional major surprise, positive or negative. But the fact is that these workouts, and the numbers that come from them, are just not that strong an indication of what most NFL teams, and ours in particular, think about these players.

      ***** Throughout the week, the NFL evaluators are interviewing the players, and watching their reactions to, as BB likes to say, "situations." With rare exception, the athletic ability of these players is already pretty well known before this week. But this is, in most cases, the first opportunity for coaches and GMs to measure those elusive intangibles that so often make the difference between an NFL player, and a "good athlete."

      ***** NFL Network does a fairly decent job of trying to give us some insight into what the NFL guys think about these players at that level. But, realistically, how much can we believe about what they reveal? After all, some of these NFL guys aren't as open and honest with their public statements as our Head Coach! ;-)

      ***** Still, it's fun to watch the drills, and interesting to form our own opinions about the people inside the bodies of the players that are interviewed. I know I'll be looking for that confident CB, and that intelligent LB in tonight's coverage. BB will most likely be calling me later for my input!

      ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **

      Do you Yahoo!?