Defensing Manning

  • frankdanabrewster
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2005
      Assuming we play Indy in 2 weeks, and assuming Seymour and Law are
      back, would it make sense to go primarily with a 4-3? This would allow
      us to put pressure on Manning with less need for blitzing (Warren,
      Seymour, Green, and McGinnest alternating at DE). It's also something
      Indy isn't going to be expecting, and probably won't be gameplanning for.

      Just a thought.
      fdb
    • Christopher Robert Woods
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2005
        The correct answer is Jarvis "Manning Killer" Green.

        On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, George R wrote:

        > ***** Actually, Frank, the way we play the 3-4, it often works like a 4-3, with one of the standup OLB's, Willie or Vrabel, playing like a DE. Sometimes it's with a blitz. Sometimes it's just a standard DE read-react technique, with the only difference being that it starts from a standing position rather than a 3-point stance.
        >
        > ***** I don't think we can expect any surprises from the way we play Manning, assuming that both of those guys are back for us. BB will still try to disrupt the WRs routes early, and clog up the zones to make Manning wait longer, and eventually have to move out of the pocket, minimizing his effectiveness. James will get his yards, while we try to prevent the big play from either him or Manning and his WRs.
        >
        > ***** It figures to once again be a very difficult game that will not be decided until after the 2-minute warning has sounded. A little help from the weather man would be nice! :-)
        >
        > George
        >
        > frankdanabrewster <frank.dana@...> wrote:
        >
        > Assuming we play Indy in 2 weeks, and assuming Seymour and Law are
        > back, would it make sense to go primarily with a 4-3? This would allow
        > us to put pressure on Manning with less need for blitzing (Warren,
        > Seymour, Green, and McGinnest alternating at DE). It's also something
        > Indy isn't going to be expecting, and probably won't be gameplanning for.
        >
        > Just a thought.
        > fdb
        >

        > To unsubscribe from Zip's New England Patriots Fan Group, send an email to:

        > Meet the all-new My Yahoo! – Try it today!

        =================
        Christopher Robert Woods
        chris@...
      • George R
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2005
[...]

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Ed Bryant

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2005
              Ed Bryant <edbryant36@...> wrote:
              Of course, although we are guaranteed another game, we won't know who we will play until the weekend coming has played out!

              ***** True, Ed. But do you think there is any chance in hell that the Broncos will beat the Colts in Indy? :-)

              ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • Ed Bryant