Re: [patriotzip] T.B.s are in synch

  • PatsWickedPissah@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2004
      In a message dated 11/2/04 12:41:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, alaric02@... writes:

      So I heard Tom Brady on Patriot Monday espouse that a few years prior we endured a four game losing streak while attempting to defend the title.  After the first loss (San Diego) they all had the attitude that it wasn't a big deal and they everything would be all right.  This yera TOm claims they all know how hard each win is and how much it must be earned.  A Part of that earning is understanding thethings which they allowed in the loss to cost them the game.  It isn't all right and they have to be awarethose are problems and must be overcome if they are going to win the next game.

      I loved hearing that quote and while as a fan I do want to have the correct notion that this one loss is not good but that teams lose and we can and should be all right.  As a fan I even more want to know that players are going to put in all the right study, review and effort to overcome such and get back to winning.  Each week the keys are different and significant and absolutely worthy of appreciation on that individual component basis.

      Tedy Bruschi was on this morning telling us that the team can't sweep a loss under the rug.  They have to understand and face the things in the loss and as such they'll find the keys to avoid it even as they then move forward for the next challenge.  THese guys really do 'get it.'

      The only thing worth it on EEI is Patriot Monday.  I love those interviews.  Brady also stated he had a wounded psyche and would fix it along with everything else this week in preparation.  He was asked to comment on a Herald article criticizing BB for not pulling him in the 4th Qtr to prevent an injury.  He was pissed saying that was crazy, the objective is NOT to prevent him from being injured but to win games.  Despite the poor play by the Pats, he thought that they had a chance and time to win right up to the last long drive by the hated Squealers.  I did too.

      -p

      -p
    • Randy Z Pierce
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2004
        Hey George,

        If you inferred I thought our run defense was only poor on that last drive, I did not represent my words sufficiently.  My point was that we had a very small chance to claw back into the game with 6.5 minutes remaining.  On the very first Steeler play the reeled off 7-8 yards and our chance was almost gone.  When the drive continued to pound it was gone.  It was more a testament to Brady being so clutch when things are on the line and after the drive before it, I felt like we could and would move down and score on the Steelers again.  Unfortunately we never had the chance and even if such had been possible we still would likely have needed an on-side kick for the chance to tie it.

        Our run defense was man-handled and when they most were needed they were once again well short of the task.  On the last drive I can at least credit that exhaustion was a partial factor.  I would have sold out on the run blitz with a 9 man box or 8 at the least for that final series but alas it is all now water under the bridge.

        ***** And the biggest of the "fixable" things on that list is our horrific excuse for a run defense in that game. There is nothing we can do about injuries. The losses of Light, Dillon, and Law really hurt us; but have to be accepted as an unpredictable part of the game, and dealt with as such challenges arise. But there were no significant injuries among the guys playing our front 7 against the Steelers, and they played like boys against men. There is alot of work needed there by both the coaches and the players.

        ***** You suggested earlier today, Randy, that the run D was only a problem in the last 6 minutes of the game. Not so, my friend. The Steelers gained 81 yards rushing in the 1st Half, with the longest run only 11 yards. They just steadily chewed us up for 4.3 yards per carry in that half. In the 3rd Quarter, following our FG that made it 31-13, the Steelers ate up 10:23 with a 14 play drive. They gained 50 yards on 11 running plays. 10 of those plays were run consecutively; 5 by Staley, then 5 by Bettis. The FG that followed put us down by 3 TDs, and totally destroyed any hope for a comeback.

        ***** The fact is that the Steelers had gained a total of only 38 yards on the ground when they went up 21-3 on the interception return. So virtually all of the damage on the ground, 183 of their total 221 yards, came after it became obvious that they were going to run the ball. And all of it against a Patriots front 7 that had no significant injury problems.

        ***** And that is why I said that the run D upset me more than any other element of our game.

        George

        Randy Z Pierce <alaric02@...> wrote:
[...]

        Zip

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • George R

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2004
            Well obviously they did not win but be careful when you pronounce the team defunct as I recall you have missed at least one astounding come-back in the last few years! :)

            Monty was with you and I certainly knew things were stacked against us but you make comebacks one play at a time!