Re: [patriotzip] In pleasant Review

  • George R
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
      ***** No doubt about it, Randy! The 21 game streak is likely to stand among the greatest achievements in sports for many, many years. It will be referenced every time a team gets a streak of 6 or 7 wins going. But I agree with you that it is unlikely that any team, including our own Patriots, will be able to even approach it any time soon.

      ***** This team has a great coach, and a solid core of players who know how to win. I am proud to have been a Patriots fan through good and bad seasons, and to have had this wonderful experience as reward.

      ***** And I remain proud this morning, despite an horrific performance by the team yesterday. They played poorly. It will not be the last time they do so. But, while I don't expect them to win 21 in a row again, I do believe that poor performances will be very much in the minority for at least as long as BB is our Head Coach.

      ***** On with the season, and our drive toward another Lombardi Trophy.

      George

      Randy Z Pierce <alaric02@...> wrote:
      No doubt this Patriot team deserves a few minutes of appreciative review for an astounding accomplishment.  While we are most certainly all disappointed it is now over, it does not change the remarkable feat.  From that Titans game through the Jets game, 21 consecutive teams could not find a way to beat the Patriots and a Superbowl Trophy hjoined us in the process.  In 84 years of football this feat has never previously been accomplished and we may never see such a dramatic amount of wins consecutively.

      We've all probably forgotten how to lose and assuredly hope we won't have to reflect upon such often.  Refledct on this tidbit a short bit: I sat through a 1-15 season with New England - it would have taken that Patriot team 21 YEARS to accomplish this feat (yeah slightly less statistically).  Twenty-One Years!?!?!  My Nephew turned 20 yesterday - it would not have taken place in his life time...that's cumulative wins of the same magnitude would not have taken place in his 20 year life...

      I'll review my thoughts on the loss later but for just one more day I want to give credit to the remarkable feat for which I am proud and pleased to have witnessed with my Patriot Pride and Passion strong!

      ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Mark/JW
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2004
        Zip,

        Positive reflection!

        I will add this ... it was inevitable, especially in
        the way the schedule was stacked against them. Two
        road games in a row against perennial division
        leaders, both with a bye week before.

        I did not watch but a few of the opening minutes,
        enough to see Law hurt and Gay torched.

        Bottom line ... too many injuries, too many turnovers,
        too good of field position!

        Someone has to do somehing about that field. It is
        the worst in the league, and its only the end of
        October!

        The young players need to step up! The rookies and
        2nd year DB's have to grow up quick, becuase I fear
        that Law may be out awhile.
        --- Randy Z Pierce <alaric02@...> wrote:

        > No doubt this Patriot team deserves a few minutes of
        > appreciative review for an astounding
        > accomplishment. While we are most certainly all
        > disappointed it is now over, it does not change the
        > remarkable feat. From that Titans game through the
        > Jets game, 21 consecutive teams could not find a way
        > to beat the Patriots and a Superbowl Trophy hjoined
        > us in the process. In 84 years of football this
        > feat has never previously been accomplished and we
        > may never see such a dramatic amount of wins
        > consecutively.
        >
        > We've all probably forgotten how to lose and
        > assuredly hope we won't have to reflect upon such
        > often. Refledct on this tidbit a short bit: I sat
        > through a 1-15 season with New England - it would
        > have taken that Patriot team 21 YEARS to accomplish
        > this feat (yeah slightly less statistically).
        > Twenty-One Years!?!?! My Nephew turned 20 yesterday
        > - it would not have taken place in his life
        > time...that's cumulative wins of the same magnitude
        > would not have taken place in his 20 year life...
        >
        > I'll review my thoughts on the loss later but for
        > just one more day I want to give credit to the
        > remarkable feat for which I am proud and pleased to
        > have witnessed with my Patriot Pride and Passion
        > strong!
        >
        > Go Pats!
        > Zip

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • Randy Z Pierce
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2004
          You are quite correct that a streak is a combination of parts as opposed to a single nebulous entity.  The only singular part of it was the nature of the focus by the entire team to view each part for the "One Game at a Time" mantra which worked, in part, because they kept this attitude.

          Welcome to the list Ed, I will very much look forward to the sharing of your insightful commentary.

          I have more streak reflection for later but I want to get through some email and then write up a few game related posts for Pittsburgh.

          I have some concerns for St. Louis and I think we have some fine football ahead.  I so appreciate the build up and reflection afforded by football.  For me it is like no other sport and this is the time I most appreciate.

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2004
            The field was terrible and I wonder if BB and crew will add Field review and preparation to their game plan approach.  Steelers seemed to struggle less with it, in part tI would suspect from familiarity.  It certainly was a factor in the law loss and perhaps in the Bethel fall down/interception for a touchdown.  Might it also have been a factor in the physical dominance by both steeler lines?  Was it bad enough to change the push off and lateral movements of line play and give the home team an additional edge?  I recall when Foxboro was virtually beach sand painted green and the league made us change it before the playoffs - could this be once again a factor for league consideration?

            Nothing is inevitable in my mind Mark.  The probability does escalate of course to make things exceedingly likely.  I think the league mayhave done us a 'favor' with the initial schedule to promote streaks - (three at home to get the unofficial and official streaks).  Bottom line is each week we must prepare for the challenges.  St. Louis can pass and we are banged up in the secondary.

            Gaye did improve after the one toasting and had a nice deflection in the end-zone.  He may have been in shock at the role he was thrust within.  Hopefully we are prepared to step up.

            The challenge in the new roster era is to keep the right overflow of positional depth where the injuries mount.  Lacking a crystal ball this is a fair challenge.  We have additional depth at DL and that is holding up...except for the last 6.5 of the game against Pitt.

            I will add this ... it was inevitable, especially in
            the way the schedule was stacked against them.  Two
            road games in a row against perennial division
            leaders, both with a bye week before.

            I did not watch but a few of the opening minutes,
            enough to see Law hurt and Gay torched.

            Bottom line ... too many injuries, too many turnovers,
            too good of field position!

            Someone has to do somehing about that field.  It is
            the worst in the league, and its only the end of
            October!

            The young players need to step up!  The rookies and
            2nd year DB's have to grow up quick, becuase I fear
            that Law may be out awhile.
            --- Randy Z Pierce <alaric02@...> wrote:

            > No doubt this Patriot team deserves a few minutes of
            > appreciative review for an astounding
            > accomplishment.  While we are most certainly all
            > disappointed it is now over, it does not change the
            > remarkable feat.  From that Titans game through the
            > Jets game, 21 consecutive teams could not find a way
            > to beat the Patriots and a Superbowl Trophy hjoined
            > us in the process.  In 84 years of football this
            > feat has never previously been accomplished and we
            > may never see such a dramatic amount of wins
            > consecutively.
            >
            > We've all probably forgotten how to lose and
            > assuredly hope we won't have to reflect upon such
            > often.  Refledct on this tidbit a short bit: I sat
            > through a 1-15 season with New England - it would
            > have taken that Patriot team 21 YEARS to accomplish
            > this feat (yeah slightly less statistically).
            > Twenty-One Years!?!?!  My Nephew turned 20 yesterday
            > - it would not have taken place in his life
            > time...that's cumulative wins of the same magnitude
            > would not have taken place in his 20 year life...
            >
            > I'll review my thoughts on the loss later but for
            > just one more day I want to give credit to the
            > remarkable feat for which I am proud and pleased to
            > have witnessed with my Patriot Pride and Passion
            > strong!
            >
            > Go Pats!
            > Zip

          • Ed Bryant
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 2, 2004
              Let's look at one critical drive.  Je'rod Cherry was on his way to the ball from the left, and the ball was going to stop short of the goal line with or without human intervention; it simply needed to be downed, and Je'rod was right there in 1998 as a Saint, so he certainly knew to down the ball.  However, the rookie Dexter Reid got a little excited, and with a full head of steam, he slid.  The result was an unnecessary touchback.
              The one advantage the visitors had in that first quarter was the wind at their backs.  Pittsburgh had already punted twice, and had they taken over at their own 2, their play calling would have skewed conservative, which means they would likely have given the ball to Duce Staley twice with the Patriots knowing they would do so.  One stop there, and Gardocki punts into the wind.
              Instead, Pittsburgh starts at the 20.  They still run Staley twice, for 3 and then 1 yard, but on third down, having scouted the same stupid coaches who took the blame for Seattle's open receivers, they threw in the flat to Verron Hayes, for 14 yards and a first down, a play they would not have dared if they were still inside their own 10.
              The next two plays featured a penalty on Burress and a completion to Hines Ward on which Ty Law was seriously injured.
              Pittsburgh ran once following the Law injury, and then, on 2nd and 6, NE sent 7 men.   Seven.  I don't understand.  Why do you need to risk what happened by sending seven guys at a rookie?  When the seven guys didn't get to  Roethlisberger, it seems very unfair to blame Gay for the touchdown.  There was a pump-fake, and there wasn't the slightest hope of help from a safety.
              There followed the first of three NE drives lasting one play each.  I can't remember the last time we had three one play drives in a game, and I need help to recall when was the last time we had three one play drives, none of them touchdowns, all of them turn-overs.
              Pittsburgh had the personnel advantage, despite the loss of their nose tackle.  NE knows how to beat Pittsburgh with five wideouts and no running back, even when one of the wide-outs is Donald Hayes, but to do this without Branch and with a substandard Troy Brown is a different kettle, and the o line situation sure didn't help.  Does anyone know if it's been arranged for Grant Williams to play right tackle for both teams Sunday?

            • frankdanabrewster
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 2, 2004
                A few weeks back most people were looking at this 4 game stretch
                (Seattle, NYJ, Pittsburgh, St Louis) and saying they'd be pretty
                satisfied to go 2-2. We still got a shot at 3-1 (if we have a
                secondary left). I think we're in pretty positive shape, as long as we
                start getting some of the walking wounded back.

                fdb

              • PatsWickedPissah@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 2, 2004
                  In a message dated 11/2/04 12:11:58 PM Eastern Standard Time, alaric02@... writes:

                  Gay did improve after the one toasting and had a nice deflection in the end-zone.  He may have been in shock at the role he was thrust within.  Hopefully we are prepared to step up.

                  Exactly.  ALL CBs get burned.  It's a question of how often and how they react afterwards.  Were he to go into a shell and play way off the WR it would be disastrous.  Jury's still way out on this kid.  Let's see him play part of a season before deciding.

                  -p
                • George R

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 3, 2004
                      The Reed blunder was significant on many fronts and in my two turning points of the game, that was one of the two significant points.  Reed had better get himself together because I'd say it is likely he will be our starting free safety this week with Eugene Wilson moving to corner.  No word on the Randall Gaye injury front but we are a depleted secondary about to challenge a pass hapy Rams team.  Martz certainly owes Belichick as well so not our best time for such things.
                      '

                      WHile no word on Grant Williams has been rendered, there is some unique trivia on players for the Rams/Pats going both ways.  A former Pats player from my very own home town of Nashua NH was paid by BOTH the Pats and the Rams for the same game - and took a Superbowl ring home at the same time.  Special Teamer Kole Ayi had spent enough time with both teams to receive a playoff paycheck from each and as an active (injury reserve) player, was gifted a ring.  Strange factoids!

                      Will there be an Earthwind sighting?

                      I will add this ... it was inevitable, especially in
                      the way the schedule was stacked against them.  Two
                      road games in a row against perennial division
                      leaders, both with a bye week before.

                      I did not watch but a few of the opening minutes,
                      enough to see Law hurt and Gay torched.

                      Bottom line ... too many injuries, too many turnovers,
                      too good of field position!

                      Someone has to do somehing about that field.  It is
                      the worst in the league, and its only the end of
                      October!

                      The young players need to step up!  The rookies and
                      2nd year DB's have to grow up quick, becuase I fear
                      that Law may be out awhile.
                      --- Randy Z Pierce <alaric02@...> wrote:

                      > No doubt this Patriot team deserves a few minutes of
                      > appreciative review for an astounding
                      > accomplishment.  While we are most certainly all
                      > disappointed it is now over, it does not change the
                      > remarkable feat.  From that Titans game through the
                      > Jets game, 21 consecutive teams could not find a way
                      > to beat the Patriots and a Superbowl Trophy hjoined
                      > us in the process.  In 84 years of football this
                      > feat has never previously been accomplished and we
                      > may never see such a dramatic amount of wins
                      > consecutively.
                      >
                      > We've all probably forgotten how to lose and
                      > assuredly hope we won't have to reflect upon such
                      > often.  Refledct on this tidbit a short bit: I sat
                      > through a 1-15 season with New England - it would
                      > have taken that Patriot team 21 YEARS to accomplish
                      > this feat (yeah slightly less statistically).
                      > Twenty-One Years!?!?!  My Nephew turned 20 yesterday
                      > - it would not have taken place in his life
                      > time...that's cumulative wins of the same magnitude
                      > would not have taken place in his 20 year life...
                      >
                      > I'll review my thoughts on the loss later but for
                      > just one more day I want to give credit to the
                      > remarkable feat for which I am proud and pleased to
                      > have witnessed with my Patriot Pride and Passion
                      > strong!
                      >
                      > Go Pats!
                      > Zip

                    • Ed Bryant

                        I will add this ... it was inevitable, especially in
                        the way the schedule was stacked against them.  Two
                        road games in a row against perennial division
                        leaders, both with a bye week before.

                        I did not watch but a few of the opening minutes,
                        enough to see Law hurt and Gay torched.

                        Bottom line ... too many injuries, too many turnovers,
                        too good of field position!

                        Someone has to do somehing about that field.  It is
                        the worst in the league, and its only the end of
                        October!

                        The young players need to step up!  The rookies and
                        2nd year DB's have to grow up quick, becuase I fear
                        that Law may be out awhile.
                        --- Randy Z Pierce <alaric02@...> wrote:

                        > No doubt this Patriot team deserves a few minutes of
                        > appreciative review for an astounding
                        > accomplishment.  While we are most certainly all
                        > disappointed it is now over, it does not change the
                        > remarkable feat.  From that Titans game through the
                        > Jets game, 21 consecutive teams could not find a way
                        > to beat the Patriots and a Superbowl Trophy hjoined
                        > us in the process.  In 84 years of football this
                        > feat has never previously been accomplished and we
                        > may never see such a dramatic amount of wins
                        > consecutively.
                        >
                        > We've all probably forgotten how to lose and
                        > assuredly hope we won't have to reflect upon such
                        > often.  Refledct on this tidbit a short bit: I sat
                        > through a 1-15 season with New England - it would
                        > have taken that Patriot team 21 YEARS to accomplish
                        > this feat (yeah slightly less statistically).
                        > Twenty-One Years!?!?!  My Nephew turned 20 yesterday
                        > - it would not have taken place in his life
                        > time...that's cumulative wins of the same magnitude
                        > would not have taken place in his 20 year life...
                        >
                        > I'll review my thoughts on the loss later but for
                        > just one more day I want to give credit to the
                        > remarkable feat for which I am proud and pleased to
                        > have witnessed with my Patriot Pride and Passion
                        > strong!
                        >
                        > Go Pats!
                        > Zip

                      • Ed Bryant