My big worry

  • Christopher Robert Woods
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 24, 2004
      I find myself worrying about every game, to some degree, but this game has
      me really worried. A healthy Pennington obliterated us in Foxboro in 2002
      and though he had a crappy game last year in the Meadowlands looking at
      the sum of what he does that seems to be an aberration.

      Personally, and it hurts to say this considering how much I -despise- the
      Jets more than any other franchise, Pennington is the best QB in the
      league not named Tom Brady if you ask me. Manning, Culpepper, I don't
      care, all of these people make big plays but BB said it right about
      Pennington, he never has any negative plays.

      If Troy plays that will be a big help but I would have felt better if
      Branch was back (screw you Neal!).

      The thing about Pennington that I think makes him more deadly against the
      Pats D than Manning is that Pennington forces things much less than
      Manning and has an even better play-action fake. The Pats D gives up a
      lot of yards, always has, and more than anyone in the league other than
      our own hunky Tom Brady, Pennington is a 'take what the defense will give
      you' sort of guy. Those short-yardage, high-percentage passes could eat
      us alive today.

      On the other side I'm strangely not worried about Martin, he's come back
      down to earth in recent weeks and will stay there.

      Hopefully we use Abraham's aggressiveness against him and usher him
      up-field to run a delay/draw to his side with Dillon.

      Here's hoping the Pats continue the Streak and the Foxboro crowd keeps
      their minds on football.

      =================
      Christopher Robert Woods
      chris@...
    • frankdanabrewster
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 24, 2004
        Pennington plays mistake free, but when you look at yards per
        completion (not per attempt) you get:

        Pennington 10.7
        Manning 12.7
        Brady 13.8

        His two top receivers are Sowell and Martin, the RBs. His WRs have
        zero touchdowns combined. Considering the competition the Jets have
        faced (6-22 combined record, which includes San Diego's 3 wins),
        Pennington doesn't look that scary to me.

        fdb

        --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Robert Woods
        <chris@p...> wrote:

        > I find myself worrying about every game, to some degree, but this
        game has
        > me really worried. A healthy Pennington obliterated us in Foxboro
        in 2002
        > and though he had a crappy game last year in the Meadowlands looking at
        > the sum of what he does that seems to be an aberration.
        >
        > Personally, and it hurts to say this considering how much I
        -despise- the
        > Jets more than any other franchise, Pennington is the best QB in the
        > league not named Tom Brady if you ask me. Manning, Culpepper, I don't
        > care, all of these people make big plays but BB said it right about
        > Pennington, he never has any negative plays.
        >
        > If Troy plays that will be a big help but I would have felt better if
        > Branch was back (screw you Neal!).
        >
        > The thing about Pennington that I think makes him more deadly
        against the
        > Pats D than Manning is that Pennington forces things much less than
        > Manning and has an even better play-action fake. The Pats D gives up a
        > lot of yards, always has, and more than anyone in the league other than
        > our own hunky Tom Brady, Pennington is a 'take what the defense will
        give
        > you' sort of guy. Those short-yardage, high-percentage passes could eat
        > us alive today.
        >
        > On the other side I'm strangely not worried about Martin, he's come back
        > down to earth in recent weeks and will stay there.
        >
        > Hopefully we use Abraham's aggressiveness against him and usher him
        > up-field to run a delay/draw to his side with Dillon.
        >
        > Here's hoping the Pats continue the Streak and the Foxboro crowd keeps
        > their minds on football.
        >
        > =================
        > Christopher Robert Woods
        > chris@p...
      • Christopher Robert Woods
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 24, 2004
          On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, frankdanabrewster wrote:
          > Pennington plays mistake free, but when you look at yards per
          > completion (not per attempt) you get:
          >
          > Pennington 10.7
          > Manning 12.7
          > Brady 13.8

          Each one still averages a first down per completion. I said in my post
          that Pennington is a short yardage, high-percentage passer.

          Stats don't tell the whole story. Against a defense like the Pats which
          is run to stop the big play first, I'm afraid Pennington will have
          success.

          > His two top receivers are Sowell and Martin, the RBs. His WRs have
          > zero touchdowns combined.

          Moss has missed a week but regardless, my concerns about Pennington
          revolve around how his strength matches our defense well.

          > Considering the competition the Jets have
          > faced (6-22 combined record, which includes San Diego's 3 wins),
          > Pennington doesn't look that scary to me.

          How can you make that connection? They didn't look impressive beating
          teams they should have beaten, but the same can be said of our Pats.

          I'm not making a case for why I think the Jets will beat us, I don't
          believe that, but I do see a scenario whereby Pennington's short,
          precision passing keeps our D on the field for longer than we'd like even
          if they don't score. If Hasselback can get 350 yards with a ton of
          dropped passes by his receivers I wonder what Pennington can do.

          =================
          Christopher Robert Woods
          chris@...
        • Christopher Robert Woods
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 24, 2004
            On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, frankdanabrewster wrote:
            > < Pennington doesn't look that scary to me. >
            >
            > Well, I'm not saying he's a just your average QB.
            > He certainly gave us all we could handle last year.
            > He does pose problems in the short game, as you said.
            >
            > Maybe it's just the Opie look. He doesn't look scary. ;)

            I think it's the ears. He has the biggest monkey ears in the league, I
            think, though Fiedler may give him a run for his money.

            Christopher Robert Woods
            chris@...
          • frankdanabrewster

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 24, 2004
                I'm just getting home and unwinding a bit after a great day.  Your worries were valid and our team and crowd was up to the challenge.  It was a great crowd today and they stayed right on the game for all of the proud loud moments.  It was a battle and nobody really earned any major failures except perhaps the Jets Coaching staff with 2-3 blunders which in my opinion helped ensure a Jets win.

                Obviously the 12 men on the field for the punt was huge and the deep safeties on the Pats final drive for a first down before a knee.  It was a well played game and a fast paced game which kept the proud loud Pats Crowd on top of the actrion.

                Great day and we are now the sole possessors of a record which may not matter to the team for awhile but matters to most of us fans right now.  This is the most mentally tough team in the league.