Re: [patriotzip] Playing the Dolphins

  • George R
    Message 1 of 52 , Oct 5, 2004
      ***** I'll begin with the key for our defense. We must make sure that we have 11 guys on the field for every play. ... OK, that's a little harsh. But, realistically, I have a difficult time seeing how the Dolphins can do anything significant against our D at the Razor. I believe that we should certainly focus on taking away Mc Michael and (if he plays) Chambers. Both Fiedler and Feeley can move fairly well, so, with their limited talent at receiver, we should focus more on containment than on pressure, while keeping very alert for screens and swing passes to RBs. A steady, conservative defense should be enough to shut this team down. Don't overrun plays, or take unecessary chances. They just don't have the talent to score much, if anything, against us with their offense.

      ***** One caution that is almost certainly being addressed by our coaches this week is against continuing our poor play on STs. We must improve that performance, on both sides of the ball, and this is a good time to start.

      ***** Offensively, I agree with you, Randy, that we need to throw the ball enough to keep some balance in our offense. However, I do believe that Dillon's running is our key to offensive success against the Dolphins. They are diminished in the DL, but they still have those two outstanding CBs. So the passing game should focus on attacking matchups against the LBs and Safeties. That obviously means lots of work for our TEs and our slot WRs over the middle, or on short out patterns under the WRs, as they take the CBs deeper.

      ***** With some degree of success in the passing game, the opportunities will be there for Dillon against that DL. Last week, I predicted that Dillon would carry less than 20 times. He had 19 for 79 yards. This week, I see him over 25, and the primary weapon in our attack.

      ***** I expect a methodical, "no worries" victory. I doubt that we'll move the ball freely against their still stiff defense, but we will steadily pile up a few points here and there, and, in the end, due to their offensive ineptitude, it will look like a blowout on paper. Final score: Patriots 27 Dolphins 6.

      George

      Randy Z Pierce <alaric02@...> wrote:
      So I'll ruminate a bit more on my expected keys to victory while asking as I did last week for various thoughts on how we should best prepare/approach the Miami Dolpins visit to Foxboro.

      The 0-4 Dolphins have in fact been in most of their games with a defense which is surviving an amazing amount of turnovers to hold the game close.  This defense is still a high quality unit and can be a scoring defense if considerable offensive caution isn't in effect.

      The Dolphins offense is woeful.  A beleagured running back corps is highlighted by a poor offensive line.  Neither QB seems able to avoid considerable turnover and their targets are fairly limitted.

      Chambers and Mc Michaels can both be dangerous and our affinity for giving up yards between the 20s could give them the motivational impetus to be slightly more dangerous.

      No doubt we are a fare better team but we are dinged up a fair bit on offense with possible injuries to prevent Brown, Branch, Johnson and Patten from being ready to play the game...not to mention Watson already being gone.  If we are not balanced Zach Thomas will be mieeting Corey Dillon often and not to our benefit.

      So what thoughts have the list on this game?

      Oh yeah - there is a streak of some sort on the line but I doubt it's a factor for our players.

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • llj7366@aol.com
      Message 52 of 52 , Oct 9, 2004
        YIKES! I know, I was starting to sweat it that I had jinxed us!
        BUT... I did not! Thank goodness!
        LISA