Re: Pats - Cards -

  • frankdanabrewster
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 19, 2004
      You're right. The key to deciding whether to use a 3-4 or a 4-3,
      really depends upon the personnel that you have at your disposal. We
      could struggle in the 3-4 against the run, until either Traylor or
      Wilfork gets to the point where he can truly replace the skills of TW.

      It will be interesting to see what Fitgerald brings to the table.

      Thanks for the response.
      I'm really learning a lot from this board. :)

      fdb

      --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Z Pierce" <alaric02@s...> wrote:
      > Some good points Frank but I do disagree on a few of them. I think
      it can be worthwhile to neutralize an opponents strength and I think
      it's been employed by BB and crew on many occasions. You can't do it
      if the rest of the talent is too high but if there's a strong deviance
      in talent it does become worthwhile. I'm not sold that Fitzgerald is
      that much better but given their injuries I think he might well be
      such and given our potential weakness of downgrade from Law - I just
      hope he's accounted.

      > As for the run defense virtues of the 3-4 and 4-3 you may indeed be
      correct. However if the talent of your team is not standing up to the
      requirements of the formation this no longer applies. If the Nose
      Tackle is being moved from his two-gap responsibility, this means two
      things - both of which the Colts exploited routinely. It means the
      Runner has an automatic lane on the opposite side of the Center from
      that Nose Tackle and it means there is a Guard with no blocker free to
      unload on one of our linebackers to spring the running back even
      further. While Ted Johnson can take on Guards fairly well and make
      plays, he is an anomoly of MLB in this. Neither Bruschi nor Phifer
      are geared to taking on blocking Guards and making the play in short
      enough yards.

      > With a 4-3 look whether it's one or two gap responsibility, there is
      a blocker on the guards and this frees up the MLB to make the read and
      the tackle.

      > Emmitt Smith is in fact no Edgerrin James but he'll put up yards in
      the middle better than James - he just won't have the open field speed
      of James. Smith reads his blocks very well and it would be hard to
      doubt him on this based on so many years of success. He may not have
      the physical tools of his younger years but he'll grind out steady 4
      yard gains if our defense isn't ready and that is almost more
      detrimental to us as it controls the clock, wears down our defense and
      keeps our offense off the field. I'll respect the Hall of Famer as
      much as James or Rhodes (who equally well diced up our run D) until
      proven otherwise.