Cuts and Keepers

  • Mark/JW
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 5, 2004
      BB never disappoints when it comes to surprises.

      Surprises:

      10 O-lineman - Hallen did nothing better than
      Mruczsowski or Neal. Klemm is on the team because
      both Light and Ashworth are recovering from injuries.

      Gay over Morton and Buckley - Gay was getting props
      from the 1st day at camp and he proved he could play
      the gunner position on ST's. That made Morton
      expendable. Buckley may be back in week two. A cut
      and re-sign so they don't have to guarantee the entire
      salary.

      Kelley as the 7th DL - I think this is more related to
      Wilfolks inability to play NT than Kelley's strong
      play. I expect Kelley to get cut again and end up on
      the PS.

      Davis over Kurpeikis - I don't understand this one.
      We need some more help in the secondary. Having only
      8 DB's won't cut it the way that BB uses them on
      special teams.

      PK Sam as the 6th WR - He dressed for the last game
      which meant that BB couldn't hide him on IR. He would
      never clear waivers so they had to kep him like they
      did with Brady as the 4th QB a few years ago.

      This is not the final roster for Thurs night. Dan
      Pires of the New Beford Times is reporting that Miller
      will be cut before Wed. This way they don't have to
      guarantee his salary (Buckley and Cloud are the same
      type of deals).

      3 RB's - Faulk has a bit of a balky knee, so keeping
      just three with Pass moving to RB rather than FB. I
      thought that MacKenzie would make it.

      Mayer over Cherry - No surprise here! Mayer was
      playing the blocking back on the punt team. You don't
      replace that player. Cherry can't play safety at all.
      He showed that against the Jags. Gay proved he could
      be the gunner and that eliminated the veteran.

      Keeping the Vets - Johnson, Andruzzi, Fauria, Davis.

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
    • PatsWickedPissah@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5, 2004
        In a message dated 9/5/04 8:51:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, packy001@... writes:

        Surprises:

        10 O-lineman - Hallen did nothing better than
        Mruczsowski or Neal.  Klemm is on the team because
        both Light and Ashworth are recovering from injuries.

        ***  I say he's a decent LT backup.  Who else?

        Gay over Morton and Buckley - Gay was getting props
        from the 1st day at camp and he proved he could play
        the gunner position on ST's.  That made Morton
        expendable.  Buckley may be back in week two.  A cut
        and re-sign so they don't have to guarantee the entire
        salary.

        ***  Bingo!  I see the DBs as a stronger, deeper unit this year.

        Kelley as the 7th DL - I think this is more related to
        Wilfolks inability to play NT than Kelley's strong
        play.  I expect Kelley to get cut again and end up on
        the PS.

        ***  Bingo!  We gots Bingo!  You win again!  You understand BB's philosophy.

        Davis over Kurpeikis - I don't understand this one.
        We need some more help in the secondary.  Having only
        8 DB's won't cut it the way that BB uses them on
        special teams.

        ***  I too am mystified why 'the inscrutable one' cut K at LB.

        PK Sam as the 6th WR - He dressed for the last game
        which meant that BB couldn't hide him on IR.  He would
        never clear waivers so they had to keep him like they
        did with Brady as the 4th QB a few years ago.

        ***  What I don't understand is why dress him that last week?  Why not keep him as a PUP???  BB needs my council.

        This is not the final roster for Thurs night.  Dan
        Pires of the New Bedford Times is reporting that Miller
        will be cut before Wed. This way they don't have to
        guarantee his salary (Buckley and Cloud are the same
        type of deals).

        ***  Exactly.  You gots to know the cap machinations.  Thankfully, we have Mr Spock (a.k.a. Miguel) to educate us folk on the intricacies and machinations.  Think the 1st week cuts of Pass et. al. last year although we ended up keeping Pass after a few weeks into the season.

        3 RB's - Faulk has a bit of a balky knee, so keeping
        just three with Pass moving to RB rather than FB.  I
        thought that MacKenzie would make it.

        Mayer over Cherry - No surprise here!  Mayer was
        playing the blocking back on the punt team.  You don't
        replace that player.  Cherry can't play safety at all.
        He showed that against the Jags.  Gay proved he could
        be the gunner and that eliminated the veteran.

        ***  G'bye Cherry.  We just upgraded again.  I even think Farley came close.  Farley is a safe bet to make it to the PS.
      • PatsWickedPissah@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5, 2004
          In a message dated 9/5/04 9:35:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time, chris@... writes:

          On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Mark/JW wrote:

          >Keeping the Vets - Johnson, Andruzzi, Fauria, Davis.

          I don't think there was any surprise to Fauria being here.  You can't cut
          a guy like him when your replacement options are a wildly-inconsitent
          receiver and a rookie in Graham and Watson.

          If Watson comes on like it looks he might, however, it might be the end
          for Fauria.  Which is good because there are too many guys the girlies say
          are good looking.

          Yes, I too harbor a special disdain for the "Oh my God, he's GORGEOUS!!!" Fauria.

          -p (do NOT tell wife)
        • Bob George
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 5, 2004
            > 10 O-lineman - Hallen did nothing better than
            > Mruczsowski or Neal. Klemm is on the team because
            > both Light and Ashworth are recovering from injuries.

            I had this one dead right. You keep 10 OLs because you need to be deep at
            this position. The Patriots are one Brady injury away from taking a
            precipitous drop in their ability to defend their title.

            > Gay over Morton and Buckley - Gay was getting props
            > from the 1st day at camp and he proved he could play
            > the gunner position on ST's. That made Morton
            > expendable. Buckley may be back in week two. A cut
            > and re-sign so they don't have to guarantee the entire
            > salary.

            I'm sorry, but I didn't see that much from Gay that would make me cut Cherry
            and Buckley. Cherry will be missed on STs and Buckley knows BB's system and
            can play in multiple DB sets. Maybe this is for money reasons as other
            people have pointed out.

            > Davis over Kurpeikis - I don't understand this one.
            > We need some more help in the secondary. Having only
            > 8 DB's won't cut it the way that BB uses them on
            > special teams.

            Tough choice here. Davis stays because he is a vet and is needed on STs.
            Kurpeikis played well in the preseason.

            > Mayer over Cherry - No surprise here! Mayer was
            > playing the blocking back on the punt team. You don't
            > replace that player. Cherry can't play safety at all.

            Neither can Mayer. Mayer staus only because Scott got hurt.

            Bob G
          • Karen Cardoza
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
              Well... hate to tell you this but Benjamin Watson isn't an ugly mean guy... he is EXTREMELY hot  himself... and very well dressed too.

              Mrs. B

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
                In a message dated 9/6/04 11:29:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time, bruschifan1@... writes:

                Well... hate to tell you this but Benjamin Watson isn't an ugly mean guy... he
                is EXTREMELY hot  himself... and very well dressed too.

                Yes, I've also had to bear that burden throught my life

                -p
              • George R
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
                  ***** I suggest that you never wander too close to RI,
                  or a Pats List Tailgate, Mr Woods. If you are spotted
                  by Mrs B, you will suffer great physical and verbal
                  abuse! ;-)

                  George

                  --- Christopher Robert Woods <chris@...>
                  wrote:

                  > On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Karen Cardoza wrote:
                  >
                  > > Well... hate to tell you this but Benjamin Watson
                  > isn't an ugly mean guy... he
                  > > is EXTREMELY hot himself... and very well dressed
                  > too.
                  >
                  > Bastards. We need more ugly, football guys on our
                  > team like #54.

                  =====
                  ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail