Cuting a player

  • PatsWickedPissah@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2004
      BB today on patriots.com

      Q: Who tells a player he has been cut?
      BB:
      Usually what happens, it's not always the same because the circumstances aren't always the same, but normally what happens is the player is brought to someplace where we can sit down and talk to him. He's talked to by people in the organization. Scott [Pioli] and I talk to them. Then other people, the position coach, depending on the relationship, but different coaches will talk to them based on how much of a relationship they have had with them. If it was a big special teams player or if it was a position coach, depending on where the guy had come from. We explain to them what is going on, and it varies from player to player. Some players you release and you kind of tell them, 'We probably wouldn't bring you back. We just feel like you need to move on or we need to move on.' Other players you might have interest in bringing back, depending on the situation. You let them know that. Other players you tell them, if they want to know what the situation is or what they need to work on, sometimes they ask about that. Some guys are emotional. Some guys see the writing on the wall, maybe, and halfway expect it, or might even be relieved by it to a degree. All those things vary. That would be a normal situation, but not everything is normal, so they don't all happen that way. Sometimes the timing is different for one reason or another. I think the main thing is to try to be honest and up front with a player and tell him not what he wants to hear, me going in there saying, 'Well, I really wanted to keep you, but Pioli wanted to get rid of you so that's why we're cutting you.' One of those shots. We're not big on that. We just try to be honest and up front with the guy and let him know what really the situation is here, for better or worse, even though that might not be what they want to hear.

    • George R
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2004
        ***** So, is he denying here that he's a liar? ;-)

        George

        --- PatsWickedPissah@... wrote:

        > BB today on patriots.com
        >
        > Q: Who tells a player he has been cut?
        > BB: Usually what happens, it's not always the same
        > because the circumstances
        > aren't always the same, but normally what happens is
        > the player is brought to
        > someplace where we can sit down and talk to him.
        > He's talked to by people in
        > the organization. Scott [Pioli] and I talk to them.
        > Then other people, the
        > position coach, depending on the relationship, but
        > different coaches will talk to
        > them based on how much of a relationship they have
        > had with them. If it was a
        > big special teams player or if it was a position
        > coach, depending on where the
        > guy had come from. We explain to them what is going
        > on, and it varies from
        > player to player. Some players you release and you
        > kind of tell them, 'We
        > probably wouldn't bring you back. We just feel like
        > you need to move on or we need
        > to move on.' Other players you might have interest
        > in bringing back, depending
        > on the situation. You let them know that. Other
        > players you tell them, if they
        > want to know what the situation is or what they need
        > to work on, sometimes
        > they ask about that. Some guys are emotional. Some
        > guys see the writing on the
        > wall, maybe, and halfway expect it, or might even be
        > relieved by it to a
        > degree. All those things vary. That would be a
        > normal situation, but not everything
        > is normal, so they don't all happen that way.
        > Sometimes the timing is
        > different for one reason or another. I think the
        > main thing is to try to be honest and
        > up front with a player and tell him not what he
        > wants to hear, me going in
        > there saying, 'Well, I really wanted to keep you,
        > but Pioli wanted to get rid of
        > you so that's why we're cutting you.' One of those
        > shots. We're not big on
        > that. We just try to be honest and up front with the
        > guy and let him know what
        > really the situation is here, for better or worse,
        > even though that might not
        > be what they want to hear.

        =====
        ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **