Re: [patriotzip] NPC - Need computer nerd help!

  • Michael J.King Sr.
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2004
      At 09:21 PM 9/4/2004, George R wrote:
      ***** I've been struggling with a major problem using
      any Yahoo sites for the last two days via IE. I
      finally downloaded Netscape, and am currently using
      it, with no apparent problem thus far.

      ***** Secondly, what would you suggest I do to fix
      this and return to IE? Should I just download a new
      copy of the 6.0 browser, and overwrite the old one?

      I would using Control Panel/Add or Remove programs first and if no improvement overwrite with a new version of IE. Also have you upgraded the SP2 that's available?  Good luck. Later.Mike

      Go RED SOX  2004 World Champions!!

    • George R
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2004
        ***** I did download that SP2 upgrade, Mike. It didn't
        help.

        ***** I'll hang in with Netscape for now, and go to
        the remove and reinstall you suggest if I don't hear
        something different in the next couple of days. I see
        that as a last resort. It just seems to me that there
        should be some simple one or two step fix to such a
        problem. But that's pure guesswork from a "user only"
        PC person.

        George

        --- "Michael J.King Sr." <kingpin@...>
        wrote:

        > At 09:21 PM 9/4/2004, George R wrote:
        > >***** I've been struggling with a major problem
        > using
        > >any Yahoo sites for the last two days via IE. I
        > >finally downloaded Netscape, and am currently using
        > >it, with no apparent problem thus far.
        > >

        > >***** Secondly, what would you suggest I do to fix
        > >this and return to IE? Should I just download a new
        > >copy of the 6.0 browser, and overwrite the old one?
        >
        > I would using Control Panel/Add or Remove programs
        > first and if no
        > improvement overwrite with a new version of IE. Also
        > have you upgraded the
        > SP2 that's available? Good luck. Later.Mike
        >
        > Go RED SOX 2004 World Champions!!

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • George R
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2004
          ***** Ummm ... ah ... er ... OK. ... I'm going to save
          this one for a day when I have several hours to follow
          it. :-) Sorry, I REALLY appreciate your help, and my
          guess is that this will probably fix it for me. But I
          REALLY am at a loss beyond the very basics of
          operating a PC, and I have no idea what I'm doing in
          DOS.

          ***** As I said, when I have time available (I'm going
          out in an hour or so), I think I can crawl my way
          through your instructions. So I will try it later.

          ***** Again, sincere thanks for taking the time to
          provide such detailed steps. Wish I knew at a glance
          what the hell you said, but that is not the case. :-)

          George (picturing Bama's head exploding!) ;-)

          --- patslist@... wrote:

          > I had a similiar issue recently with one of my kids
          > PC's. I found
          > spyware (browser hijack app) was the culprit.
          > There's a few ways to
          > clean.
          >
          > It's possibly a local DNS entry in your �Hosts� file
          > that may point to a
          > site other than yahoo. Not an uncommon method for
          > these trojan programs
          > to use. If you are fimiliar with the DOS edit
          > command you could edit the
          > hosts file. Do a search of your drive of hosts*.*
          > You will find a file
          > that looks something like this:
          >
          > # For example:
          > #
          > # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com #
          > source server
          > # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x
          > client host
          >
          > 127.0.0.1 localhost
          >
          > You can remove bogus entries in this file.
          > ---------------
          >
          > The method I used to fix this issue was taking the
          > application out of
          > startup and then running spyware removal application
          > (adaware). Spy
          > Sweeper and Adaware both do a good job cleaning a
          > machine. Just be sure
          > you update the database.
          >
          > If you have any experience with the registry I would
          > start there before
          > running the spyware removal application. It helps to
          > be sure nothing
          > will be in memory when the cleaner is trying to
          > remove it - which can
          > make it difficult if it's well written.
          >
          > Start in Safe Mode.
          >
          > Go to Start then type: REGEDIT
          >
          > Navigate to the folder,

          Hkey_local_machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

          > You should only see a few things there on the RIGHT
          > side. These are
          > typically things that startup when you first boot.
          > Personally, I do not
          > want any application running at startup. So I keep
          > this path clean of
          > anything.
          >
          > But look for some obvious executables that look
          > suspicious and delete
          > those registry keys.
          >
          > Do the same for the path

          Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush