NPC - Need computer nerd help!

  • George R
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2004
      ***** I've been struggling with a major problem using
      any Yahoo sites for the last two days via IE. I
      finally downloaded Netscape, and am currently using
      it, with no apparent problem thus far.

      ***** I called Mark, also a Yahoo user, and he has had
      no problems. Neither had the "Help" people at
      Earthlink, my DSL ISP. So, I assume it's something to
      do with a bug in my IE browser.

      ***** Can somebody tell me if they've ever heard of
      such a problem specific to one web host? All other web
      sites are accessible to me via IE. It is ONLY the
      Yahoo mail and my Yahoo Fantasy Football sites that I
      can't access. I get the Yahoo home page, and it
      produces a "Can't locate the page" error message when
      I try to sign in. (BTW, there appears to be no way to
      contact a living person at Yahoo. I can't find any
      phone number to talk to someone there for help.)

      ***** Secondly, what would you suggest I do to fix
      this and return to IE? Should I just download a new
      copy of the 6.0 browser, and overwrite the old one?

      ***** At least I can access with Netscape. So I'll
      just stay with this until/unless I find a solution to
      the IE problem.

      ***** Really curious to learn if any of you have ever
      heard of such a problem.

      =====
      ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Michael J.King Sr.
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2004
        At 09:21 PM 9/4/2004, George R wrote:
        ***** I've been struggling with a major problem using
        any Yahoo sites for the last two days via IE. I
        finally downloaded Netscape, and am currently using
        it, with no apparent problem thus far.

        ***** Secondly, what would you suggest I do to fix
        this and return to IE? Should I just download a new
        copy of the 6.0 browser, and overwrite the old one?

        I would using Control Panel/Add or Remove programs first and if no improvement overwrite with a new version of IE. Also have you upgraded the SP2 that's available?  Good luck. Later.Mike

        Go RED SOX  2004 World Champions!!

      • George R
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2004
          ***** I did download that SP2 upgrade, Mike. It didn't
          help.

          ***** I'll hang in with Netscape for now, and go to
          the remove and reinstall you suggest if I don't hear
          something different in the next couple of days. I see
          that as a last resort. It just seems to me that there
          should be some simple one or two step fix to such a
          problem. But that's pure guesswork from a "user only"
          PC person.

          George

          --- "Michael J.King Sr." <kingpin@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2004
            ***** Ummm ... ah ... er ... OK. ... I'm going to save
            this one for a day when I have several hours to follow
            it. :-) Sorry, I REALLY appreciate your help, and my
            guess is that this will probably fix it for me. But I
            REALLY am at a loss beyond the very basics of
            operating a PC, and I have no idea what I'm doing in
            DOS.

            ***** As I said, when I have time available (I'm going
            out in an hour or so), I think I can crawl my way
            through your instructions. So I will try it later.

            ***** Again, sincere thanks for taking the time to
            provide such detailed steps. Wish I knew at a glance
            what the hell you said, but that is not the case. :-)

            George (picturing Bama's head exploding!) ;-)

            --- patslist@... wrote:

            > I had a similiar issue recently with one of my kids
            > PC's. I found
            > spyware (browser hijack app) was the culprit.
            > There's a few ways to
            > clean.
            >
            > It's possibly a local DNS entry in your �Hosts� file
            > that may point to a
            > site other than yahoo. Not an uncommon method for
            > these trojan programs
            > to use. If you are fimiliar with the DOS edit
            > command you could edit the
            > hosts file. Do a search of your drive of hosts*.*
            > You will find a file
            > that looks something like this:
            >
            > # For example:
            > #
            > # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com #
            > source server
            > # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x
            > client host
            >
            > 127.0.0.1 localhost
            >
            > You can remove bogus entries in this file.
            > ---------------
            >
            > The method I used to fix this issue was taking the
            > application out of
            > startup and then running spyware removal application
            > (adaware). Spy
            > Sweeper and Adaware both do a good job cleaning a
            > machine. Just be sure
            > you update the database.
            >
            > If you have any experience with the registry I would
            > start there before
            > running the spyware removal application. It helps to
            > be sure nothing
            > will be in memory when the cleaner is trying to
            > remove it - which can
            > make it difficult if it's well written.
            >
            > Start in Safe Mode.
            >
            > Go to Start then type: REGEDIT
            >
            > Navigate to the folder,

            Hkey_local_machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

            > You should only see a few things there on the RIGHT
            > side. These are
            > typically things that startup when you first boot.
            > Personally, I do not
            > want any application running at startup. So I keep
            > this path clean of
            > anything.
            >
            > But look for some obvious executables that look
            > suspicious and delete
            > those registry keys.
            >
            > Do the same for the path

            Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush