Re: Ricky's Career went up in a puff of smoke!

  • frankdanabrewster
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2004
      Giving up the NFL to take up painting or singing, to travel the world,
      to become a doctor, to spend more time with your family, etc. is
      putting quality of life ahead of money. Although subjective, I think
      most people would consider giving up the NFL so you can smoke pot
      without getting caught, and having to pay a fine, not to be the
      smartest of decisions. I'm sure that was only one factor in Ricky's
      decision, but he did bring it up himself.

      fdb

      --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Penney" <kalastos@y...> wrote:
      > When part of the reason for retiring isn't so he can smoke his life
      > away maybe.... Some people seem to be stepping around the issue but
      > I call Ricky Williams a pothead and to me that gives him a "ten cent"
      > brain.
      >
      > Doug
      >

      > > > ***** *sigh* Million dollar body, and a ten cent brain!
      > > >
      > > So if a player puts money AHEAD of "quality of life"
      > > he is "greedy" . . . however, if a player puts his idea
      > > of quality of life ahead of money said player has
      > > "a ten cent brain". Exactly WHERE should a player
      > > fall to escape George's moral judgments?
      > >

      > > -bill [ PATS 12 ]
    • Steve Basile
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 29, 2004
        Re: [patriotzip] Re: Ricky's Career went up in a puff of smoke! I say, more power to him for the decision, (including the factor in the decision to smoke more weed) and to do what his heart leads him to do and to enjoy.  Not many people can resist the money, subdue the greed, or the resist the lure of further fame.  There’s a great Talking Heads song lyric: “If your work isn’t what you love, then something isn’t right...”

        Life is too short to hate what you do for a living (this from a former software VP now managing a Irish Pub)

        If the guy wants to party in Asia, travel, seek and find himself and what makes him happy, so be it.

        What I DON’T like is the timing.  He waited too long, left his team in the lurch, and left them without a raft of prospects they might have signed had he prepared them for his decision a bit before he announced it.  As a bar manager it feels like the guy who just fails to show up for a shift and leaves me hanging—albeit with far wider reaching consequences :-)

        He should have given his teammates and his organization the common courtesy of some sufficient notice to allow them to make moves to fill an estimable gap at WR.  That was just shoddy.

        Baze

        --
        Steve Basile
        Manager

         On 7/29/04 3:25 PM, "frankdanabrewster" <frank.dana@...> wrote:

        Giving up the NFL to take up painting or singing, to travel the world,
        to become a doctor, to spend more time with your family, etc. is
        putting quality of life ahead of money. Although subjective, I think
        most people would consider giving up the NFL so you can smoke pot
        without getting caught, and having to pay a fine, not to be the
        smartest of decisions. I'm sure that was only one factor in Ricky's
        decision, but he did bring it up himself.

        fdb

        --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Penney" <kalastos@y...> wrote:
        > When part of the reason for retiring isn't so he can smoke his life
        > away maybe....  Some people seem to be stepping around the issue but
        > I call Ricky Williams a pothead and to me that gives him a "ten cent"
        > brain.
        >
        > Doug
        >

        > > > ***** *sigh* Million dollar body, and a ten cent brain!
        > > >
        > >         So if a player puts money AHEAD of "quality of life"
        > >         he is "greedy" . . . however, if a player puts his idea
        > >         of quality of life ahead of money said player has
        > >         "a ten cent brain".  Exactly WHERE should a player
        > >         fall to escape George's moral judgments?
        > >

        > > -bill  [ PATS  12 ]

      • frankdanabrewster
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 29, 2004
          I recently heard someone say, "If you love what you do, you never have
          to go to work". Kinda sums it up, I'd say.

          fdb