Update on my man Gessner

  • PatsWickedPissah@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
      Patriots | Gessner Could be a Red Zone Factor - from www.KFFL.com
      Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:52:17 -0700
      Andy Hart, of Patriots Football Weekly, reports New England Patriots WR Chas
      Gessner thinks his 6-4, 215 pound frame can work as an advantage inside the
      red zone this season. "I'd say I am a big, physical receiver," Gessner said.
      "I think I could help in the red zone. I think I create a little bit of an
      advantage matchup wise, maybe, in the slot or what have you against maybe a
      linebacker or a safety. I think I have some intangibles. I can block real
      well. I can run the inside routes, come across the middle, things like that.
      I think I have a big advantage in size. I am a big target for the
      quarterbacks, which might be a little mix up in terms of our other receivers
      that are smaller and quicker."

      Patriots | Gessner Praises NFLE Experience - from www.KFFL.com
      Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:24:42 -0700
      Andy Hart, of Patriots Football Weekly, reports New England Patriots WR Chas
      Gessner believes his time with the Berlin Thunder of NFL Europe will give
      him a better chance to secure a roster spot during training camp. "I went
      over there with goals and I tried to accomplish as many things as I could,"
      Gessner said. "I tried to work hard and just get better all around. It was
      mostly just about being a polished receiver, running better routes, getting
      in and out of breaks better, getting off the jam, making plays in the red
      zone, being physical and getting a chance to block better." This spring
      Gessner ranked in the top 10 in touchdowns, receptions and receiving yards,
      while earning All-NFL Europe League Team honors.

      -p
    • George R
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
        ***** Gessner's problem (shared by JJ Stokes) is that we now have 3 talented TEs, and a big, powerful RB to work with in the red zone. I don't believe that our need for that "big WR" we've all been screaming for over the last few seasons is nearly as great as we thought it to be in previous years. (And let's not forget Mike Vrabel!)

        George

        PatsWickedPissah@... wrote:
[...]

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • PatsWickedPissah@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
          In a message dated 6/29/04 12:12:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time, patsfangr@... writes:

          Gessner's problem (shared by JJ Stokes) is that we now have 3 talented TEs, and a big, powerful RB to work with in the red zone. I don't believe that our need for that "big WR" we've all been screaming for over the last few seasons is nearly as great as we thought it to be in previous years. (And let's not forget Mike Vrabel!)

          No question that new TE Watson gets close to a free pass this camp as a #1 pick.  I see us running a 2TE set quite often this year.  I also see us keeping only ONE FB.  So keeping 6 WRs is not out of the question.  As the final cuts and cap manoevers approach in September I would not be surprised to see Patten go.  The final WR list is likely a function of injury status.  Same situation and issue with TJ's fate at linebacker.

          -phil
        • frankdanabrewster
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
            --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, PatsWickedPissah@a... wrote:
            > In a message dated 6/29/04 12:12:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > patsfangr@y... writes:
            >
            > > Gessner's problem (shared by JJ Stokes) is that we now have 3
            talented TEs,
            > > and a big, powerful RB to work with in the red zone. I don't
            believe that
            > > our need for that "big WR" we've all been screaming for over the
            last few
            > > seasons is nearly as great as we thought it to be in previous
            years. (And let's
            > > not forget Mike Vrabel!)
            >

            > No question that new TE Watson gets close to a free pass this camp
            as a #1
            > pick. I see us running a 2TE set quite often this year. I also see
            us keeping
            > only ONE FB. So keeping 6 WRs is not out of the question. As the
            final cuts
            > and cap manoevers approach in September I would not be surprised to
            see Patten
            > go. The final WR list is likely a function of injury status. Same
            situation
            > and issue with TJ's fate at linebacker.
            >
            > -phil

            Why have we always had such problems with big WRs; Tony Simmons,
            Donald Hayes, Charles Johnson, Terrance Small, etc. Seems like a
            position we haven't picked well. Yet our smurffy receivers have been
            terrific! Go figure.