Changing the Mix

  • George R
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2004
      ***** If, as rumored, we sign Buckley next week, I see it as an indication that BB feels that he allowed too much of our performance in the secondary last year to depend upon younger, less experienced players. He is changing the balance to lean much more heavily toward vets, with just a sprinkling of the most promissing young players to back them up and develop.

      ***** Of course, we won't know this for certain until the final roster is set. It's very possible that BB simply wants to choose from among the 4 older vets (Poole, Smith, Burris, and Buckley) to get the best 2 or 3 for what he wants to do with this year's D. But I suspect that he'll keep them all, and reduce the risk of having a D-backfield full of kids, should a couple of injuries occur, as happened to us in last year's SB.

      ***** I think that those 4, plus Walyt, will provide BB and Romeo with a D-backfield that won't be caught with its diapers down again. The best 4 or 5 of our younger players, whoever BB and Romeo decide they are, will fill out the roster, but not leave us subject to the mess we had at the end of the SB.

      ***** Your thoughts?

      ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • frankdanabrewster
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2004
        Despite the obvious talent of guys like Wilson and Samuel, their lack
        of experience showed at times. I agree that BB will most likely keep
        them all. Even in past years, guys like Otis (my man) Smith, and
        T-Buck have tired late in the year. Having the experienced players,
        and the depth to spell each other at various times of the year (or of
        a game, for that matter) is a real plus. And that's not accounting for
        injuries. I read that there are 16 DBs on the roster right now
        (including Buckley). They may keep an extra or two.

        fdb