Re: [patriotzip] Madden 2005

  • Randy Z Pierce
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 5, 2004
      While I certainly agree we did an amazing job of coping with injuries last year, I did find it odd that in a post lamenting talk of Jinxes as folly you reference the Sox as seeming support of a jinx theory.

      As for the intelligence of posts, there is a wide range of posts and the off season is certainly lower on information to discuss.  All I ask on this list is it pertain to the Patriots in some fashion and that we attempt to be courteous to each other.  THere are plenty of boards where abuse of fellow posters is high.

      I did read your follow up justification post and I tend to side with you solidly on the value of Vrabel.  I also believe that if Gilden didn't have a high price tag he'd be a fine addition to this group.  He didn't beat out Vrabel on a fluke, he has some impressive talents but not so impressive as his price tag.    I'm often reminded by this Patriot staff that the true value of a player involves that tag as well.  Vrabel is going to get very expensive in a few years as his contract winds down and he has now become a proven commodity.  I absolutely hope we keephim but understand there are price ramifications all around.  If Gilden wants to join a proven winner, I believe the Pats could easily use his talent.  I suspect he's more about the dollar and we would keep our LB roster as it is but I do ultimately respect someone thinking Gilden is a talented player.

      I guess the point is state your case in  contradiction to their view with facts.  If their post borders on unintelligent then the facts will show that and levae it for the reader to interpret not a personal bashing.  Boards that allow such quickly become host to the better bashing being the point and much intelligent communication can be lost.  That all said - I'll take Vrabel over Gilden and I do believe this team is solidly poised by on-field talent.  Even if some problem with Brady arises which I hope never occurs, I have confidence in this staff's preparations to adjust.  Tom's best assets are a fairly long list but highest among them for his role on this team is the manner by which his pocket awareness allows him to use a less than stellar offensive line to top advantage.  I've got a follow on theory for this in the next post.

      Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 11:45 PM
      Subject: Re: [patriotzip] Madden 2005

      yeah i mean the injury bug didnt hit us at all last year right? can we please get some intelligent posts on this site and not people yapping about jinxes? the patriots are not the freaking red sox!

    • rockmaul74@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 5, 2004
        i didnt bring up points about vrabel over gildon cause i thought they were self evident. vrabel is a good run stopper, and an even better pass rusher. most importantly, he makes the big plays when they are needed most. i have talked to many steeler fans who tell me how gildon's stats are padded, he doesnt make the big plays when there needed most either. i would think vrabel's post season play, starting with forcing bledsoe to fumble in 97, continuing with hitting kurt warner in sb 36 to turn the tide of the game with the ty law td, and pratcially all over sb 38, would speak to why he is better then gildon. last year he played 13 full games, most of them on a recovering broken arm, had 50 plus tackles, 9 and a half sacks, 2 pics.  he had a pic in ot in houston that should have won the game (if not for a blocked field goal) he forced a fumble on peyton manning in indy that turned momentum and a sack later in the game that haltered some of there momentum that would end a drive. this guy is invaluable.  i'm sure gildon fans will throw his stats at me with his garbage sacks (i.e. someone missed a block, the qb just slipped ect) and whatever, but vrabel is much more then just numbers on a stat sheet.  thanks for listening, i appreciate it.