Madden 2005

  • bowlerbill12
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2004
      This year's Madden football game features Tom Brady on the cover. Is
      this the year the curse is broken or will the injury bug come to new
      england? I hope not. Hey Zip where do you sit at the patriots game.
      My family has tickets and sits in 106.
      Peace,
      Bill Goodwin
    • rockmaul74@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4, 2004
        yeah i mean the injury bug didnt hit us at all last year right? can we please get some intelligent posts on this site and not people yapping about jinxes? the patriots are not the freaking red sox!
      • Steve Basile
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2004
          Re: [patriotzip] Madden 2005 On 6/4/04 22:45, "rockmaul74@..." <rockmaul74@...> wrote:

          yeah i mean the injury bug didnt hit us at all last year right? can we please get some intelligent posts on this site and not people yapping about jinxes? the patriots are not the freaking red sox!

          Might I suggest that you relax, post something as intelligent as you can stand whenever it occurs to you and ignore posts you don't happen to enjoy?

          Cheerfully,

          Baze

          --
          Steve Basile
          Manager

        • rockmaul74@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2004
            sorry, this is the same guy that thinks we should get jason gildon....it just seems lately there are too many pats fans, both on this group, and in chats, that seem to think a 17 and 2 team isnt good enough and we should retool or something? i mean come on, trashing on vrabel? give me a break. mike vrabel was either mvp or a close second of the superbowl. and yet we want to get gildon, the guy that pittsburgh kept in favor of vrabel 3 years ago. i've also heard all this "our linebacking crew is too old." it is true, they are a bit plus on the 30 side, but please, our lb crew was one of our strongest points last year, as i have pointed out before.  if this keeps up i'm gonna soon here "brady's shoulder is bad, lets start davey cause he can win games in europe" blah blah blah
          • Randy Z Pierce
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 5, 2004
              When I had still my eyes I was an avid fan of Madden.  Playing with rosters full of sub par performances during the early 90s I was forced to become rather good at the game in order to win consistently.  Although I had lost my eyes completely by 2001, I still bought the game for friends and nephews and so I'd own the SB Champion Patriot version.  Apparently Madden had yet to give us our due however since Faulk adourned the cover.  Nice to finally get our due with Tom up on the cover.

              I'm not particularly concerned of SI cover jinx or other such.  I'm sold on Belichick and his system for ensuring a quality team.  Any Superbowl victory requires a great deal of talent, sound couaching and some good luck.  The amount of luck fades quickly as the first two qualities increase.

              What I find makes this Patriot team so successful is the staff minimizes liabilities on the field first by having a solid base depth.  We lack the quantity of Superstars on other teams and in exchange have fewer points of clear weakness on the field at any given time.  The schemes then use these fewere points of weakness to in such a fashion as to minimize their impact against the oppositions force.  Then by attacking those points of weakness in the opponent we tend towards an overall advantage.

              My seats are in the front of section 105 - right next to your family.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 5, 2004
                While I certainly agree we did an amazing job of coping with injuries last year, I did find it odd that in a post lamenting talk of Jinxes as folly you reference the Sox as seeming support of a jinx theory.

                As for the intelligence of posts, there is a wide range of posts and the off season is certainly lower on information to discuss.  All I ask on this list is it pertain to the Patriots in some fashion and that we attempt to be courteous to each other.  THere are plenty of boards where abuse of fellow posters is high.

                I did read your follow up justification post and I tend to side with you solidly on the value of Vrabel.  I also believe that if Gilden didn't have a high price tag he'd be a fine addition to this group.  He didn't beat out Vrabel on a fluke, he has some impressive talents but not so impressive as his price tag.    I'm often reminded by this Patriot staff that the true value of a player involves that tag as well.  Vrabel is going to get very expensive in a few years as his contract winds down and he has now become a proven commodity.  I absolutely hope we keephim but understand there are price ramifications all around.  If Gilden wants to join a proven winner, I believe the Pats could easily use his talent.  I suspect he's more about the dollar and we would keep our LB roster as it is but I do ultimately respect someone thinking Gilden is a talented player.

                I guess the point is state your case in  contradiction to their view with facts.  If their post borders on unintelligent then the facts will show that and levae it for the reader to interpret not a personal bashing.  Boards that allow such quickly become host to the better bashing being the point and much intelligent communication can be lost.  That all said - I'll take Vrabel over Gilden and I do believe this team is solidly poised by on-field talent.  Even if some problem with Brady arises which I hope never occurs, I have confidence in this staff's preparations to adjust.  Tom's best assets are a fairly long list but highest among them for his role on this team is the manner by which his pocket awareness allows him to use a less than stellar offensive line to top advantage.  I've got a follow on theory for this in the next post.

                Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 11:45 PM
                Subject: Re: [patriotzip] Madden 2005

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 5, 2004
                  i didnt bring up points about vrabel over gildon cause i thought they were self evident. vrabel is a good run stopper, and an even better pass rusher. most importantly, he makes the big plays when they are needed most. i have talked to many steeler fans who tell me how gildon's stats are padded, he doesnt make the big plays when there needed most either. i would think vrabel's post season play, starting with forcing bledsoe to fumble in 97, continuing with hitting kurt warner in sb 36 to turn the tide of the game with the ty law td, and pratcially all over sb 38, would speak to why he is better then gildon. last year he played 13 full games, most of them on a recovering broken arm, had 50 plus tackles, 9 and a half sacks, 2 pics.  he had a pic in ot in houston that should have won the game (if not for a blocked field goal) he forced a fumble on peyton manning in indy that turned momentum and a sack later in the game that haltered some of there momentum that would end a drive. this guy is invaluable.  i'm sure gildon fans will throw his stats at me with his garbage sacks (i.e. someone missed a block, the qb just slipped ect) and whatever, but vrabel is much more then just numbers on a stat sheet.  thanks for listening, i appreciate it.