Re: [patriotzip] Jason Gildon sign?

  • Randy Z Pierce
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2004
      While I do think Gilden has some talent remaining, I really cannot give any disparaging commentary on Vrabel.  The guy has continually performed at a top level for us.  Vrabel is not the 'concern' on this linebacking corps.  Age and injury are a bit of a concern but ultimately I don't think we are in bad shape here.  Just using McGinest, Vrabel, Colvin, Johnson, Bruschi, Phifer is confidence for me.  Add Banta-Cain and potentially Klecko and this group isn't in need of a high expense 'upgrade.'  My only (can I really say this?) concern for this team is the O-line and resigning a few short contract guys.

      I think Brady's quick thinking, quick reading and mastery of Charlier's system negate the O-line issues.  I think a minimal talent group is enough there to work this offense BUT that won't overly aid the running game.  So I would like to see some improvements here ultimately but only as the cost allows us to keep the rest of our strong and deep team.

      Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 5:13 PM
      Subject: [patriotzip] Jason Gildon sign?

      Hi. I am new to the group and I am huge pats fan. I wanted to
      comment on the Steelers release of Jason Gildon. I believe the Pats
      should try to sign Jason Gildon even to a two to three year
      contract. This is a good chance for the Patriots to improve an aging
      linebacker group. Jason Gildon could play outside linebacker
      opposite Roosevelt Colvin. He is a much better player than Mike
      Vrabel plus he has the wits that Belichick likes. Even if McGinest
      is going to play outside linebacker I would rather see him playing
      defensive end where he has been productive in that position the last
      couple of years. Think about Gildon Bruschi and Colvin. If the Pats
      do not even try to get Gildon then I think the Raiders will sign
      Gildon and that could be a pretty good team going into the 2004
      season.
      Peace,
      Bill Goodwin III