Did the Postons screw up T-Buck's marketability?

  • PatsWickedPissah@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2004

      http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

      POSTONS MISJUDGED MARKET FOR T-BUCK?

      Word around the league is that veteran cornerback Terrell Buckley will
      signing a one-year deal with the Patriots soon.  It's a move that, as one
      league insider opined, represents another failure by agents Carl and Kevin
      Poston to properly gauge the market for one of their players.

      Buckley spent 2001 and 2002 with the Patriots before re-joining the Dolphins
      for 2003.  Previously, T-Buck spent five seasons with the Fins, from 1995
      through 1999.

      Per a league source, the Dolphins were serious about bringing Buckley back,
      but they were willing to offer only a one-year deal for the veteran minimum
      of $760,000.  This specific device, which was adopted a couple of years ago,
      caps the cost of such contracts at $450,000.

      But Buckley, through the Postons, wanted more.  Miami held firm, signing
      Reggie Howard and drafting Will Poole.

      And if Buckley thought there still was a chance to stay in Miami after the
      draft, the decision of the team to issue his number to Poole likely cemented
      his status.

      So the end result is that Buckley will be forced to leave Miami, where he
      lives and where he wanted to play, for the same dollars that he turned down.
      A less obvious factor in all of this is that Buckley's $760,000 salary would
      have been exempt from state income tax in Florida.

      "It's the same thing as with Ian Gold," a league source said.  "The Postons
      overestimated their guy's value, and their client got burned."

      -p (gotta love it)

    • rockmaul74@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2004
        first we resign otis smith, then we picked up pattens bonus lol now terrel buckley? lol 04 will be a mismatch of new players, players with the team for the 01 sb, players with the team for the 01 and 03 sbs players that were part of both but were on ir last year lol