Bush Honors Patriots

  • PatsWickedPissah@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2004
      President Bush honors Super Bowl champions

      01:00 AM EDT on Tuesday, May 11, 2004

      BY JOHN E. MULLIGAN
      Journal Washington Bureau

      WASHINGTON -- With a nod to their morale-building value to American troops
      around the world, President Bush yesterday hailed "the mighty New England
      Pats" for their second Super Bowl Championship.

      The Rose Garden tribute was the second in three years for many of the
      players posing between the columns outside the Oval Office. But the event
      still had some of the flavor of an undergraduate field trip to a fancy
      museum.

      Almost every outsized suit jacket had a button fastened, despite the
      85-degree heat. Almost every thick neck wore a knotted tie. The young men
      squinting at the world-famous scenery might as well have been admonished by
      a coach: remember, boys, you're representing the whole school out here
      today. No horsing around.

      But Mr. Bush, fresh from the grim duty of a Pentagon viewing of pictures
      from the Iraq prison scandal, seemed pleased to set a light tone. "This is
      a pretty cool place to visit," he told the newcomers on the Patriots.

      He kidded quarterback Tom Brady, "I'm trying to figure out what it's like to
      be around a real celebrity."

      For owner Bob Kraft's benefit, Mr. Bush praised the Patriots' unbeaten
      record at Foxboro during the championship season. "That's really good
      marketing," he said.

      The president told Adam Vinatieri, "I am really impressed at how cool you
      are under fire." Then he asked the place-kicker for "a few suggestions
      before a press conference, if you don't mind."

      Mr. Bush acknowledged the presence of two members of what he called "the
      mighty Massachusetts delegation" in Congress, Democratic Representatives
      Edward Markey and Jim McGovern, who represents part of Fall River and the
      Rhode Island border towns from Seekonk to the Blackstone Valley. Also on
      hand were two former Massachusetts state representatives with big jobs in
      the Bush administration: White House Chief of Staff Andrew H. Card Jr. and
      Andrew Natsios, chief of the Agency for International Development.

      Mr. Bush turned serious near the close of the brief ceremony, telling the
      champions: "You also know there are fans that are rooting for you who wear
      the uniform of the United States military -- a lot of Pats fans out there
      who are scattered around the world, doing everything they can to defend us
      and to protect us. They are cheering in places like Afghanistan and in Iraq
      and in other countries."

      Mr. Bush kidded New England coach Bill Belichick about his terse remarks at
      the Rose Garden two years ago. "You said you were going to say a few words
      and you said like four words."

      "I got carried away," retorted Belichick.

    • Randy Z Pierce
      Message 2 of 3 , May 11, 2004
        Two years ago I was there with them at this gala courtesy of current Senator Sununu from NH who was at that time Representative Sununu.  Most of the players have their families present and it's a fairly interesting spectacle as regardless of political alignments, most people were in a little awe to be present at the White House for the event.  Ostend was entirely non-plussed however and quickly scouted out Tom Brady's Aunt Mary  cleverly detecting her secret identity.   She introduced him to the full family eventually and all marvelled at the Golden Child.

        The players have their opportunity to meet various officials, stand for a presentation and photo opportunities before being given tours of the White House.  This is a bit later than their last trek which took place in April at Cherry Blossom time but listening to the tapes on NECN yesterday it seemed the same level of awe remained with the players.

        Quietly the team also completed stat tours to NH, Maine, Rhode Island and of course the Parade in Boston.  It's a credit to the Kraft Organization to keep in mind the fans of all of New England and I just wanted to reflect for a brief moment.

        Two years ago on the lawn of the White House having just left the Rose Garden presentation to the World Champion New England Patriots, I had also completed my tour with a few players and was thinking how astounding it was to be a fan of not only World Champions but to know and believe the organization was generally representative of quality people and a respectable approach which centers around team concepts and utilization of talent as more important than top dollar talent.  We spend our share of money certainly and the fans carry a considerable burden on this front yet the truth is the Patriots are the Class of the league and we are fortunate fans.

        Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 12:28 PM
        Subject: [patriotzip] Bush Honors Patriots

        President Bush honors Super Bowl champions

        Message 3 of 3 , May 11, 2004
          In a message dated 5/11/04 1:03:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, alaric02@... writes:

          Two years ago I was there with them at this gala courtesy of current Senator Sununu from NH who was at that time Representative Sununu.  Most of the players have their families present and it's a fairly interesting spectacle as regardless of political alignments, most people were in a little awe to be present at the White House for the event.  Ostend was entirely non-plussed however and quickly scouted out Tom Brady's Aunt Mary  cleverly detecting her secret identity.   She introduced him to the full family eventually and all marveled at the Golden Child.

          ***  Thankfully an embarrassing incident was avoided without the White House cat present.

          Two years ago on the lawn of the White House having just left the Rose Garden presentation to the World Champion New England Patriots, I had also completed my tour with a few players and was thinking how astounding it was to be a fan of not only World Champions but to know and believe the organization was generally representative of quality people and a respectable approach which centers around team concepts and utilization of talent as more important than top dollar talent.  We spend our share of money certainly and the fans carry a considerable burden on this front yet the truth is the Patriots are the Class of the league and we are fortunate fans.

          ***  Yes, we certainly are.  I can remember almost 40 years of frustration before the Kraft era.

          -p