LPC - #1 City - #32 Team

  • George R
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 17, 2004
      ***** That would be San Diego. If I could choose to live anywhere in this country, I would choose the San Diego area. But that choice would certainly not be based upon its horrific NFL team.

      ***** This ESPN article recounts the failures and futility of the team since their last Playoff appearance in 1995.

      ***** As I read it, it struck me now similar they are to the pre-BB Patriots. Everything they touch, regardless of its previous success, and the high hopes that come with it, turns to crap. They had Bobby Beathard, legendary GM of the Redskins in thier glory days. He got them Ryan Leaf, legendary "franchise QB" from Washington State, and Mikhael Ricks, "the next Terrell Owens"; at a cost of THREE R1 draft picks. They had John Butler, highly respected GM of the Buffalo Bills. He got them FAs Marcellus Wiley, David Boston, both unceremoniously dumped after down seasons last year; while he dumped some old, washed up DB named Rodney Harrison! Their only success in all those years was the selection of LaDanian Tomlinson, who is wasted as a premier tenor singing backup in a Rap group!

      ***** Now they have the top pick in the Draft again, and they're gun shy about pulling the trigger on Eli Manning because of the burning memory of Ryan Leaf. Enjoy that beautiful San Diego climate, clean air, and scenic harbor, folks. It's all you've got.

      ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **
    • Bob George
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 17, 2004
        ***** That would be San Diego. If I could choose to live anywhere in this country, I would choose the San Diego area. But that choice would certainly not be based upon its horrific NFL team.

        As a California resident, I have to agree.  SD is my favorite California city, with the central coast area coming in 2nd.

        Bob G

      • Peter Anderson
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 19, 2004
          Thanks, George.   Why do you think I still root for the Patriots after living in the San Diego area for over 20 years?  :-)  Yep, Ryan Leaf certainly makes them gun shy, especially since he's the highest paid 7-11 clerk in the world!  (Not sure if he really works at a 7-11, but that's about what he can handle)

          Peter
          Santee, CA (just outside of San Diego)