Draft Rumors

  • George R
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2004

      ***** Most of the talk here in So Cal is about the Chargers' back room wheelin' and dealin'. They are rumored to be talking turkey with the Giants to drop out of the #1 spot (where the Giants would supposedly take Manning), then possible drop down again. The idea being that, after decimating their roster, the Chargers need so many players that they'll need several Day One picks to even be competitive this season.

      ***** Philip Rivers may be the QB they focus on, since he'll be available mid to late R1. Up higher, they need to beef up the OL to block for the QB, and, of course, for Bama's predicted 'bust', Tomlinson.

      ***** In any case, this is shaping up to be one of the busiest trading days in Draft history. Of course, that's been said in some previous years, and proven to be nothing but smoke. Not everybody is as clandestine as BB, but very few teams let their true intentions leak out.

      ***** Even though I've given up wasting my time trying to predict the specifics of what BB will do, I feel the excitement rising for one of my favorite events of the year - the NFL Draft! I'm so glad that I no longer have to use a vacation day to stay home and watch it, as I did when ESPN first began carrying it!

      ***** Speaking of ESPN, they've got to be looking over their shoulder these days. I wonder what NFL Network has planned for Draft weekend, now, and in the future? The battles in NFL stadiums may pale in comparison to what's brewing in TV land down the road.

      ** & The Patriots dynasty has begun! **
    • Bill Beaulac
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9, 2004
        From: "George R" <patsfangr@...>

        > ***** Speaking of ESPN, they've got to be looking over their shoulder
        these days. I wonder what NFL Network has planned for Draft weekend, now,
        and in the future? The battles in NFL stadiums may pale in comparison to
        what's brewing in TV land down the road.

        I doubt that the NFL, and their network, are going to go to war
        with ABC. The networks are the bread and butter of the NFL,
        if the leagues loses them, who will pay for the games on the
        NFL network? All I see this "network" being is a glorified
        "ESPN Classic".

        -bill [ PATS 12 ]