Re: Ron Borges - Draft Genius!

  • Bill Beaulac
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "David Brunat" <brewgnat@...>

      > I love it when someone digs up a stupid analysis
      > such as this. These guys write anything they
      > want without regard for accuracy and use an
      > attitude that makes you think they know more than
      > the coaches. Good find. Makes you think that
      > anything he writes is suspect.

      Well, I think that something needs to be said about
      sports writers, in general. First of all, we know Borges
      doesn't like Belichick, for whatever reason. We also
      know that a LOT of people, myself included, have
      vocally disagreed with BB's draft moves soon after
      they were made. We wrote/spoke our views in a public
      area much the same as Borges, or any other writer, did.
      They were opinions, speculation, and biases on all our
      parts. I read (and listen to) sports columnists for entertainment
      purposes. Don't you folks? How much enjoyment would there
      be in reading the sports pages if a) they were only 100% facts,
      b) we were in full agreement with those facts, and c) no room was
      left for opining and discussion? Would we prefer that all articles
      and reporting leading up to THIS years draft were merely an
      analytical summation of drafts from 4 years ago based solely
      upon statistical results? What fun would the annual Bama draft
      contest be if we all thought the same way? What if we held the
      draft contest on May 1st so we could all get our facts straight?
      These columnists jobs are to peak fan interest, sell newspapers,
      and radio/TV time. Borges, Ryan, Clayton, Kyper, Prisco, or any
      number of other sports writers (ourselves included) would fall on
      deaf ears if everyone were in agreement with what was written/said.
      What a boring sports world it would be . . .

      -bill [ PATS 12 ]
    • Joseph Theban
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 2004
        I remember chatting (not on this site) with Pats fans before that draft, and a huge number of them wanted David Terrell [not to brag, but I wanted a defensive tackle :) ].

        That's why I disregard Pats fans who want to spend every year's first-round pick on a receiver.  It just proves that they're not very knowledgeable and that they're more interested in flashy offense than in world championships.

        Mark/JW <packy001@...> wrote:
        Picked this from Hawg #73, a poster on KFFL message
        board:

        On a day when they could have had impact players David
        Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in
        the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia
        defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sacks last
        season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play
        tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. This
        genius move was followed by trading out of a spot
        where they could have gotten the last decent receiver
        in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light,
        who will not help any time soon. - Ron Borges, MSNBC
        after 2001 Draft.

        Do you Yahoo!?